Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Abby Normal

Sotomayor

I think the nomination of a minority women is long over do.
In her own words:
“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”

I agree.

Thoughts?
Old 05-26-2009, 05:56 PM

Why don't we ever worry about what kind of legal INTELLECT a person has than focusing so damn much about how many blacks, whites, womens, Klingons, Aardvarks, et al, ad nauseum, on the court ?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:42 PM

I'm ready, unless the "party of no" blocks it. Then the Court can focus on straightening the Prop 8 mess in CA, amongst the many other injustices out there.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Abby Normal

I believe the though on a court appointees now is that they need to be more than a one dimensional academic scholar.
A women like Sotomayor will not be questioned as to her legal intellect as that is clear from her resume. The added dimension she will bring is an understanding of life in the United States from a different perspective which is very representative of a large segment of the population.

Great choice, IMO.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajobu View Post
I'm ready, unless the "party of no" blocks it. Then the Court can focus on straightening the Prop 8 mess in CA, amongst the many other injustices out there.
think I'll spin a cd,

how about some Was (Not Was) ?

Semi-interesting Week from Boo?

I think that would be considered political.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:52 PM

Sotomayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I think the nomination of a minority women is long over do.
In her own words:
“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”

I agree.

Thoughts?
As someone who has indicated that she will legislate from the bench, suggesting that she will use her personal experiences as precedent, I can't say that I'm in favor of her. Certainly not on the USSC.

Whatever happened to justice is blind and the letter of the law? I always thought that a good judge was one who could leave his personal feelings outside of the courtroom, especially when serving on the USSC.

Chas
Old 05-26-2009, 10:39 PM

We should ALWAYS trust a wise, wonderful woman of the Latina persuasion over a dusty old document written nearly 250 years ago by a bunch of dead, rich, white guys who obviously didn't have a clue as to what they were doing, except to when it came to Opressing Wise, Wonderful Women & African-AmericansandLatinasandblahblahblah....
Old 05-27-2009, 05:39 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

I am in the same camp as Sandy and Charles. There should be no legislation from the Bench. There is another branch of government assigned that duty.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:55 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
We should ALWAYS trust a wise, wonderful woman of the Latina persuasion over a dusty old document written nearly 250 years ago by a bunch of dead, rich, white guys who obviously didn't have a clue as to what they were doing, except to when it came to Opressing Wise, Wonderful Women & African-AmericansandLatinasandblahblahblah....
I guess you are right, "a dusty old document written nearly 250 years ago by a bunch of dead, rich, white guys" should be interpreted by a bunch of the richest old white guys alive today rather than "Wise, Wonderful Women & African-AmericansandLatinas."
Old 05-27-2009, 05:58 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
I am in the same camp as Sandy and Charles. There should be no legislation from the Bench. There is another branch of government assigned that duty.
I think we all agree that there should be no legislation written from the bench.