Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I think I know what you mean. You're saying that in addition to always being wrong, we argue in bad faith and use stupid rhetorical tricks.

I would have zero respect for someone like that. I'd never even try to seriously discuss anything with them.
You mean someone that likes to build strawman arguments by putting words in other folks' mouths? Yeah, I have zero respect for people like that too.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
No, the Dems DON'T want a stricter interpretation. The Dems want to limit political speech, thus creating more talk-track-spitting half-wits like you.
Bullshit. The whole IRS brouhaha had its genesis in the Obama IRS wanting to be more strict in allowing (thinly disguised wingnut) social welfare groups to do political work while retaining their tax exempt status. I have clearly shown, to your great surprise, that it was Trump and the GOP who recently loosened "dark money" regulations in an effort to expand the practice of taking contributions like those from Russia to the NRA (and that these loosened regulations do indeed also apply in the states).

And your lame retort is that while you claim you want to tax such groups and reveal the identities of donors, Dems' desires to do exactly that are somehow an effort to limit political speech. You truly are a disingenuous tool.

Last edited by finnbow; 08-04-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
No, the Dems DON'T want a stricter interpretation. The Dems want to limit political speech, thus creating more talk-track-spitting half-wits like you.
Read and learn, dumb ass.

A U.S. District Court judge on Friday issued a ruling invalidating a Federal Election Commission regulation that has allowed donors to so-called dark-money groups to remain anonymous, the latest development in a years-long legal battle that could have major implications for campaign finance.

Judge Beryl A. Howell ruled the FEC's current regulation of such groups, including 501(c) 4 non-profits, fails to uphold the standard Congress intended when it required the disclosure of politically related spending.

"The challenged regulation facilitates such financial 'routing,' blatantly undercuts the congressional goal of fully disclosing the sources of money flowing into federal political campaigns, and thereby suppresses the benefits intended to accrue from disclosure ... ," wrote Howell, an Obama appointee to the D.C district court. The decision is likely to be appealed.

The decision paves the way for new requirements that could force nonprofits to disclose donors who give least $200 toward influencing federal elections. (Social-welfare nonprofits such as Crossroads GPS are allowed to spend money on elections so long as it's not their "major purpose.")

In the post Citizens United era, spending by these groups has ballooned, but they have largely avoided having to report individual donors as a result of the FEC's belief that their names only need to be disclosed in limited circumstances.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-ruling-762440

Apologies accepted.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The whole fake brouhaha about the IRS targeting conservative non-profits was about the IRS looking into (nearly) full-time political advocacy of groups that were supposedly non-profit pushing the envelope far beyond what the tax laws envisioned.
Quote:
Bullshit. The whole IRS brouhaha had its genesis in the Obama IRS wanting to be more strict in allowing (thinly disguised wingnut) social welfare groups to do political work while retaining their tax exempt status.
Well, since you changed the topic and want to talk about the IRS....

This is where you demonstrate that you're clearly off the rails. Having the IRS involved in "scrutinizing" these groups further exemplifies just how screwed up this entire process is. Giving these groups tax exempt status puts the IRS in a position of being further politicized than it already is.

I'll go so far as to say that of all the gov't agencies I've worked with, the IRS is actually the least screwed up, and possibly (again, compared to other agencies) possibly even leans towards a very, very slight shade of "consumer friendly...at least for a gov't agency.

That said, having the bureaucracy of the IRS responsible for managing part of the political process is laughable. In other words, if you were "king for a day" and had the opportunity to redesign campaign financing and contributions with from scratch, would you insert the IRS anywhere in the process. Hell NO! At least not if you were able to form anything close to a coherent thought.

Second, your suggestion that the "whole IRS brouhaha" was "fake"? Good lord, man. What have you been smoking? The IRS totally screwed up part of the political process and negatively impacted the free speech rights of both conservative and liberal interest groups alike.

Now, in the third audit of how the tax-exempt application process went off the rails, the Treasury Department's inspector general overseeing the IRS has found the agency targeted not just conservatives but also scores of groups with words like "progressive" in their names.

The Treasury inspector general for tax administration, or TIGTA, did the report at the request of a bipartisan group of senators.

"The far right has been beating a drum for years now that there was a partisan attack on them," said Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., one of the requestors. He said the new report shows "that's just not true."

But the TIGTA audit didn't absolve the IRS. Wyden said the overall picture was "equal opportunity mismanagement and equal opportunity bedlam."

That all of this happened in an election year simply gave the Republicans grist for the mill. And rightly so, because if somehow Romney had figured out how to run a decent campaign and had found a way to beat Obama, it would have been the left screaming for Lois Lerner's head.

Quote:
You truly are a disingenuous tool.
Pretty typical that when you run out of anything remotely intelligent to say, you resort to name-calling. LOL!
Old 08-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:

Pretty typical that when you run out of anything remotely intelligent to say, you resort to name-calling.
The most pathetic shit about you is the fucking whining.

Did anybody ever hear me or Boreas whining about it when we were being gutted by each other on this forum?

Zip your spine back in, grow the fuck up, and quit blubbering about how you're treated.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Now, in the third audit of how the tax-exempt application process went off the rails, the Treasury Department's inspector general overseeing the IRS has found the agency targeted not just conservatives but also scores of groups with words like "progressive" in their names.

The Treasury inspector general for tax administration, or TIGTA, did the report at the request of a bipartisan group of senators.

"The far right has been beating a drum for years now that there was a partisan attack on them," said Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., one of the requestors. He said the new report shows "that's just not true."
As always, you misinterpret the information in the link you provide, not knowing that it proves my point and refutes yours.

The IRS did indeed look at a bunch of 501(c)4 groups of both parties to ensure that their primary mission was indeed social welfare and not political. The Republicans squawked the loudest because it was revealed that they abused the system the most (do you really believe that Karl Rove's Crossroads GPS's primary mission was social welfare and not political?)

In any event, the fact remains that the GOP wants to keep the law the way it is such that these groups can continue significant political activity without disclosing their donors and the Democrats don't. No matter how hard you argue, you continue to provide further evidence to support my position. Give up while you're behind.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
The most pathetic shit about you is the fucking whining.

Did anybody ever hear me or Boreas whining about it when we were being gutted by each other on this forum?

Zip your spine back in, grow the fuck up, and quit blubbering about how you're treated.
He's just tired of having his ass handed to him on a daily basis here and making a fool of himself in the process. Sometimes I feel like I'm picking on an intellectual cripple.