Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Perhaps not, but it does make you ignorant in that it has been a Federal holiday for a year.
Where did I say I didn't know it was a Federal Holiday? What I'm saying is that I don't take it seriously, and a LOT of people don't take it seriously. I see it as a real world version of "life day" in the infamous Star Wars Christmas special.

At least Juneteenth is based on a real event, like the 4th of July and Thanksgiving, though it is local to one member country, Texas. It didn't impact any other member country I've lived in, be it California, Colorado, Washington Oklahoma or Kentucky.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:23 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
I'm a firm believer in that world view. Ignore what people say and watch what they do. Of course, that's hard on a forum since all we have is words. But it's important to read between the lines.

What I've noticed is that the left tends to try to demonize those with whom they disagree, while the right tends to understand the left, because most of us started out on the left (as children, it's natural), but matured past it. The beginning of this video is an excellent example of leftist leaders "demonizing" the right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Maa-7pv1k
Very stupid message. One youtube video is hardly support for such a sweeping negative characterization of liberals. Very ironic, of course, that your criticism is 'liberals demonize conservatives.'

The big problem you have is there are hardly any stupid people on this little board. So efforts like the above are wasted.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
Where did I say I didn't know it was a Federal Holiday? What I'm saying is that I don't take it seriously, and a LOT of people don't take it seriously. I see it as a real world version of "life day" in the infamous Star Wars Christmas special.

At least Juneteenth is based on a real event, like the 4th of July and Thanksgiving, though it is local to one member country, Texas. It didn't impact any other member country I've lived in, be it California, Colorado, Washington Oklahoma or Kentucky.
I bet you aren't even aware of what Kwanza is. Oh I'm sure you think you know but that's about it. Your remarks have shown that. Add to that you're ignorance of why people outside of Texas would choose to celebrate Juneteenth. I'm sure you think you know that too.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
I bet you aren't even aware of what Kwanza is. Oh I'm sure you think you know but that's about it. Your remarks have shown that. Add to that you're ignorance of why people outside of Texas would choose to celebrate Juneteenth. I'm sure you think you know that too.
I'm quite aware of what Kwanzaa is, its origin, and how it's celebrated - and how it really gets little respect.

And I also understand why some outside Texas choose to celebrate Juneteenth as well. Just as Cubs fans outside of Illinois celebrated the Cubs winning the World Series. But most people had never heard of it until recently. It is, outside Texas, an obscure celebration, to say the least, though political activists are trying to push it all they can. You know, kinda like if you are in a city you've never been to, you can go to the worst part of town and you'll eventually find yourself on MLK Jr road/ave/st. I used to travel all over the country and it sort of became a hobby to find the local MLK road.

Comically, I live in a very small town in Kentucky and even we have an MLK JR street. And yep, it's in our small "rough" area. In fact, I have no reason to go to that area and didn't know about it for the first few years I lived here. Even the small town buckled to the political pressure, in the vein of LBJ. Cheap appeasement.

BTW, I still call the one in Seattle "empire way". I used to drive it every day to my job in downtown Seattle from Renton for a couple of years.

Why this diatribe above. I loath politicians focusing on Form over Substance, in their attempt to appease us. And at the end of the day, that's what all that stuff really is. And again, it's in the vein of what LBJ and Robert Byrd were all about regarding racial issues in their day. And republicans, though not nearly as guilty of it, do it too. That's why I'm an independent and do not support either branch of the uniparty.

But at least the Republicans have not slipped into leftist insanity (transgenderism, partial birth abortion, wokeism etc.)

And people on this site call ME an outlier. Sure, I am - on this site.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:55 PM

Junteenth is independence day for the portion of the populace that didn't benefit from July 4th American independence day.
I doubt few modern so-called "conservatives " are a fraction as erudite at this self-made gentleman of letters.
https://www.aaihs.org/frederick-doug...ourth-of-july/

Last edited by Pio1980; 06-25-2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Junteenth is independence day for the portion of the populace that didn't benefit from July 4th American independence day.
I doubt few modern so-called "conservatives " are a fraction as erudite at this self-made gentleman of letters.
https://www.aaihs.org/frederick-doug...ourth-of-july/
Sure, in Texas. But for most that had been slaves, it's a bit earlier.

Show me any articles on Juneteenth anywhere on the interwebs mentioning Juneteenth before 2017. And the article above doesn't even mention it.

It's a new thing. There is an attempt just in the last few years to give the whole Juneteenth thing "legs". I ain't buyin' it. But if I lived in Texas, I'd take it at least a bit more seriously.

I suppose the Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, et-al need their own Fourth of July too, huh? What date do you suggest, and why?

People need to learn my mantra and they will have a lot more joy in their life: Learn from the past, live in the present. Prepare for the future.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:39 AM

If there is orignal sins with the founding of this country.
Slavery must be tied with the treatment of the native peoples as them.

To declare all men are created equal with the right to pursue happiness. Then acting as they did. Still do to this day.

By acknowledging and giving a day to celebrate the end of slavery is the least the country can do. Now lets do the all men are equal part, with the right to pursue happiness.

The one segment wanting to ignore the others of our society. Have better heed this, the day they stop wanting to be treated fairly and start wanting retribution....
Old 06-26-2022, 08:02 AM

Once again for obvious reasons.
Quote:
This message is hidden because Not Insane is on your ignore list.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
If there is orignal sins with the founding of this country.
Slavery must be tied with the treatment of the native peoples as them.

To declare all men are created equal with the right to pursue happiness. Then acting as they did. Still do to this day.

By acknowledging and giving a day to celebrate the end of slavery is the least the country can do. Now lets do the all men are equal part, with the right to pursue happiness.

The one segment wanting to ignore the others of our society. Have better heed this, the day they stop wanting to be treated fairly and start wanting retribution....
That segment that needs to read and understand that sadly wont. At least most of them wont. Too easy to stay wrapped up in the bubble of ignorance.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:21 AM

Nobody should put another Polichat member on their Ignore list because of political affiliation. It's kind of reflective of what's the matter with society today.

Now if you put him on ignore because you think he's an asshole, well, that's another matter altogether.