Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-19-2022, 01:25 PM
Admin

Happy Juneteenth!

Happy Juneteenth!

One hundred and fifty-seven years ago, at the tail end of the United States’ great civil conflict — and the geographical tail end of the Confederacy — Union Army Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger led 2,000 soldiers into Galveston, Tex., where a third of the population still lived in slavery more than two years after the Emancipation Proclamation was supposed to have taken effect. He issued the following general order, which was read out at several locations by federal troops:

“The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired labor.”

This good news wasn’t really news to many of the people in Galveston; word does get around when big things are afoot. In this case, the word made manifest on June 19 was “jubilee” (derived from an ancient Hebrew term for a day when, among other things, slaves could be set free). Juneteenth, as it came to be known, turned into an annual day of celebration for African Americans in Texas and then in other parts of the country. In recent decades, nearly every state has given it some form of recognition. Last year, it became a federal holiday for the first time. WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...tion-struggle/
Old 06-20-2022, 02:38 PM

Surprisingly enough, at least to me, it was Texas that was the first state to make it a holiday. I wonder it the parents and politicians that rail against the imagined horrors of CRT permit the schools in their districts to teach their kids the origins of Juneteenth?

And Happy Juneteenth to you.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:47 PM

Mehmet Oz appears to edit his Juneteenth message on Trump’s Truth Social to remove the word ‘equality’

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2105039.html

...because, of course, Repubes don't believe in equality for "the other".
Old 06-24-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
Surprisingly enough, at least to me, it was Texas that was the first state to make it a holiday. I wonder it the parents and politicians that rail against the imagined horrors of CRT permit the schools in their districts to teach their kids the origins of Juneteenth?

And Happy Juneteenth to you.
Probably because it was a Texas issue. That's where it was happening and that is what the proclamation ended. That's not my country. I live in Kentucky.

That's probably why virtually nobody outside of Texas ever heard of this until the last couple of years, and even darned few in Texas.

Similarly, everyone heard of the October, 1929 stock market crash, but few seem to know that the BIG crash was in 1932.

So I think "Juneteenth" is probably something worth celebrating in Texas. But not in the rest of the member nations of the US, where slavery was ended sooner.

We don't celebrate French holidays in my country either.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
Probably because it was a Texas issue. That's where it was happening and that is what the proclamation ended. That's not my country. I live in Kentucky.

That's probably why virtually nobody outside of Texas ever heard of this until the last couple of years, and even darned few in Texas.

Similarly, everyone heard of the October, 1929 stock market crash, but few seem to know that the BIG crash was in 1932.

So I think "Juneteenth" is probably something worth celebrating in Texas. But not in the rest of the member nations of the US, where slavery was ended sooner.

We don't celebrate French holidays in my country either.
Comments like this are why the complete history of our countries past should be taught. Not to make us ashamed of what happened but to highlight where and what we are doing better.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:59 AM

African Americans have been celebrating Juneteenth for decades. But of course, to a bigot, it only matters that whites "ever heard of this until the last couple of years". It doesn't matter unless whites know about it. So typical of "conservative" bigots, and exactly the response expected of one.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Juneteenth

Quote:
The following year, on June 19, the first official Juneteenth celebrations took place in Texas. The original observances included prayer meetings and the singing of spirituals, and celebrants wore new clothes as a way of representing their newfound freedom. Within a few years, African Americans in other states were celebrating the day as well, making it an annual tradition. Celebrations have continued across the United States into the 21st century and typically include prayer and religious services, speeches, educational events, family gatherings and picnics, and festivals with music, food, and dancing.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
African Americans have been celebrating Juneteenth for decades. But of course, to a bigot, it only matters that whites "ever heard of this until the last couple of years". It doesn't matter unless whites know about it. So typical of "conservative" bigots, and exactly the response expected of one.

'splains why certain folk are terrified of CRT (and complete history in general) exposing things they'd rather stay buried.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
Comments like this are why the complete history of our countries past should be taught. Not to make us ashamed of what happened but to highlight where and what we are doing better.
I agree. Virtually everything I share in forums is stuff I either learned after graduating from high school or stuff I was interested in OUTSIDE of what I was being taught in high school. e.g. I was a world war II nut and did a lot of studying on my own. We didn't learn much about it in public school.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post

I've heard of Kwanzaa, a made up holiday, but I've not heard of Juneteenth. But then, I don't live in texas. Not hearing of it does not make one a bigot. That is a ludicrous accusation on the face of it. Knock it off with the ad-hominem attacks.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
I've heard of Kwanzaa, a made up holiday, but I've not heard of Juneteenth. But then, I don't live in Texas. Not hearing of it does not make one a bigot. That is a ludicrous accusation on the face of it. Knock it off with the ad-hominem attacks.
Again and again you show us your true colors