Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Vlad the Impaler speaks

Vladimir Putin says "They are living beyond their means and shifting a part of the weight of their problems to the world economy....They are living like parasites off the global economy and their monopoly of the dollar."

http://news.yahoo.com/putin-says-u-p...191447751.html

Pretty tough (and politically-inspired) talk, but with certain elements of truth to it. It's pretty sad to be on the receiving end of a (mostly deserved) economic lecture from this jagoff.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Area Man

As the world grows smaller and smaller with globalization, it will become increasingly impossible for our internal affairs to not directly affect others. (And vice-versa.) What we do has affected them in the past, this is true. But, now it moves much more quickly and more profoundly. And that will only increase going forward.

I ponder this a lot lately.

Because, if we don't get our act together....eventually, someone might just get fed up and try to do it for us.

I shudder to think of it.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 08-02-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Think it's gonna look a little like celebrity rehab. We will be hauled kicking and screaming into intervention and Vlad and his buddies will hold our assets in trust while we detox..

We need to stop the political carnival and act like we're competent. Maybe also detox our lives and families from all of the Roman distractions around us.. This IS life and death. And watch closely.. Because those with the greatest sense of self-preservation are gonna become the leaders...
Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 AM

I think that Putin is pretty dead on too.

Carl
Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 AM

Now this is also quite strange. Maybe I've woken up in parallel universe this morning.. What with Dave feeling guilty about getting thanked at work and now CarlV giving cred to the Vladiator.

How come -- it's completely acceptable coming from PUTIN -- but when the same message (about foisting too much debt on the market) comes from the political right -- you go off the rails??
Old 08-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
Now this is also quite strange. Maybe I've woken up in parallel universe this morning.. What with Dave feeling guilty about getting thanked at work and now CarlV giving cred to the Vladiator.

How come -- it's completely acceptable coming from PUTIN -- but when the same message (about foisting too much debt on the market) comes from the political right -- you go off the rails??
Because the American Right is so utterly..........Goofy........

(For lack of a better way of putting it.)

I mean...............just listen to them. Even when they're right, you just want to choke them.

Really.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 08-02-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Because the American Right is so utterly..........Goofy........

(For lack of a better way of putting it.)

I mean...............just listen to them. Even when they're right, you just want to choke them.

Really.

Dave
I can respect that.. I might vote for Putey over some of the GOP choices.. America could use an ex-KGB spy chief type. He could just make folks disappear like Hoffa..

I'll wait to see if the Libertarians draft John Stossel this year..
Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Area Man

Stossel?

Now, there's the epitome of "Goofy"-ness.

What? Are you try to make sure your movement never leaves the ground?

Dave
Old 08-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Stossel?

Now, there's the epitome of "Goofy"-ness.

What? Are you try to make sure your movement never leaves the ground?

Dave
QFT. I too have libertarian (with a small "L") leanings, but I find the libertarian party too goofy for words. In fact, the Libertarian Party may, in fact, be goofier than the GOP.

Stossel seems to be suffering a never-ending acid flashback IMHO.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
As the world grows smaller and smaller with globalization, it will become increasingly impossible for our internal affairs to not directly affect others. (And vice-versa.) What we do has affected them in the past, this is true. But, now it moves much more quickly and more profoundly. And that will only increase going forward.

I ponder this a lot lately.

"Because, if we don't get our act together....eventually, someone might just get fed up and try to do it for us."

I shudder to think of it.

Dave

"Because, if we don't get our act together....eventually, someone might just get fed up and try to do it for us."

That's an interesting thought. To do this the "someone" would have to have, or be perceived to have both power (economic and military) and a stable political system; one where changes at the top would not start a revolution. China is seen to be the most powerful economically and with a very strong export market, but with the possible exception of Taiwan they don't seem to have military ambitions outside their own border; nothing equivalent to the U.S.S.R. in the days of Hungary and Czechoslovakia. Having achieved a worldwide lead as a manufacturing and exporting country, if this market was threatened would the Chinese adopt the equivalent of 19th century gunboat diplomacy? Or something more subtle?

Just as an aside, does America still have a treaty to protect Taiwan from invasion by whatever means necessary?

Last edited by Combwork; 08-02-2011 at 01:03 PM.