Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:53 AM

Healthcare and Insurance - It's Not a Free Ride

I am so sick of the Conservatives and Republicans complaining about any kind of rethink with health insurance and healthcare reform. They, of course, have no constructive alternatives, because they're often in bed with the insurance and drug company lobbies (not that the Democrats aren't either).

I do think that the approach to reform working its way through the House and Senate is the wrong approach, but the cost of health insurance is absolutely stifling--and getting ever worse. I think that the solution is simple...every citizen in the USA should have a limited major medical coverage package for hospitalization with a high deductible in direct proportion to one's Adjusted Gross Income...if you want extra coverage or some kind of supplement, buy it on the commercial market.

Anthem Blue Cross in CT is once again seeking 24 to 33% increases on premiums for the coming year. At the moment we have a $5,000 deductible (that we have increased each year to keep premiums manageable), which means that we pay for everything out of pocket unless we end up in the hospital and then Anthem re-prices every charge to reduce charges against the deductible ( prolonging our satisfying our deductible). We also have an Health Savings Account (HSA) that we fund every month to give us a hedge on the deductible. With the increase that Anthem is seeking our monthly insurance premium will once again surpass the cost of our housing.

We are fortunate to have health insurance, but if the economy doesn't improve and the health insurance costs continue to rise, we too will be uninsured.

The system is broken, and needs to be fixed, and the Republicans better shut-up, get constructive or get out of the way. They continue to use fear tactics to tell folks that government-based insurance is the villain...I think that there can be a government and regulated private industry solution developed.

I think that many folks out there that don't like the talk of reform just want free healthcare, but someone has to pay for it...nothing is free. I'm willing to pay for health insurance, I'm willing to pay more taxes to help fund a solution, but I'm sick of folks complaining about making a change and I'm even sicker of 16 to 40% insurance premium increases every year for less and less coverage (and we have done nothing, but decrease coverage, increase deductibles and watch our premiums continue to skyrocket). We need insurance regulation.

Government isn't always the villain...I think that the profit-based Insurance Industry is largely responsible for this mess.

Last edited by wajobu; 08-02-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:40 AM

I tend to agree with most of your post. As a medicare recipients when we get a cost of living increase...the Medicare cost is increased. So IMO the medicare system will support whatever Washington comes up with... in one way or other. Oh...I recently got a notice from our health provider ( we pay) outlining the colonoscopy process. FIRST a fecal occult etc. Colonoscopy was to be determined by your health care provider. Last two physical exams were provided by a nurse practioner. Funny thing...the charges were the same. So...I feel like I am already in a Gov. system.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:41 AM

I agree Waj. except that the Republicans don't have any ideas. I just happened to catch a Senator (R) on the news this morning that explained several Republican ideas, and complained that the Dems won't even look at them. Sometimes I think partisanship will be the ruin of this country. When is the last time either side really tried to work together.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:57 AM

I just saw where McCain is going to be on FOX tonight explaining some of the Republican ideas, if anyone's interested.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I just saw where McCain is going to be on FOX tonight explaining some of the Republican ideas, if anyone's interested.
If he were serious he would not be on Fix and it would not be after decades of opposition.

Think about it.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
If he were serious he would not be on Fix and it would not be after decades of opposition.

Think about it.
and.................................if you're not interested, don't feckin watch it.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
and.................................if you're not interested, don't feckin watch it.
So after decades of opposition you feel McCain will NOW come fourth with something of value?

You don't find it peculiar that today he has an idea? and that Fox, an overt agenda driven tool of the wealthy used to chump the hard working folk are carrying it?

Old 08-02-2009, 03:47 PM

I was responding to the OT where it was stated that the Republicans don't have any ideas on health care. McCain is a republican, and will be expressing "ideas on health care" tonight on FOX News channel. I doubt that MSNBC invited him. Your responses sum up the Dems for me; If it's a Republican idea, why even listen to it at all. And they label the Republicans as the party of no.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Abby Normal

Maybe reread my post. I asked why McCain has found health care religion after decades of objections?

An FYI, he is on Fox because it will give him a platform to speak from unchallenged, not because another network will not have him.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:30 PM

Whatever