Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I do not think so. Pension and benefits for the police are really good compared to say a job at Walmart. It is still an entry point into the middle class. That is one reason why so many police have relatives that work in law enforcement, local government. My dad worked at Ford but I bet it is more difficult to get hired there today....well it was in the more recent past anyway.
If it was the Cleveland engine plant, it's impossible to get a job there, now.......................

Da
Old 12-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
I do not think so. Pension and benefits for the police are really good compared to say a job at Walmart. It is still an entry point into the middle class. That is one reason why so many police have relatives that work in law enforcement, local government. My dad worked at Ford but I bet it is more difficult to get hired there today....well it was in the more recent past anyway.
Of course your comments are full of logic and reason, ice. Too bad logic and reason was not the OP's intent. Attempting to convince anybody that the majority of cops are decent and follow the law wasn't the intent either, or we might even have had a nice discussion about it.

Spewing teabag ideology was the intent.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
I very much doubt that. High paying jobs, you never get fired, get to moonlight, retire with 90% of your salary (nay final income) for life and get to carry a gun all the time.
The retirement rate is an interesting issue ain't it? Do we hear these right wingjobs pissing and moaning about coppers and their near full salary retirement? Nope...only when it's decent teachers, or public sector managers who worked 40 years for considerably less than they could have made in the private sector. They they're leeches bleeding the taxpayers dry.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:38 AM

I am putting this out as an example. Oakland, a nearby city that one could say is on the rough side. From Wiki:

Salary

The salary of Oakland officers is another controversial issue. Police Officer Entry Level current annual salary is $69,912 to $98,088, the second highest in the country.[27] Additional pay increases are granted to higher-ranking officers. Average total compensation for an OPD employee is $162,000.[28] In 2012, 179 Oakland police officers took home over $200,000 in total compensation.[29] Three patrol officers, a sergeant, and a captain each took home over $300,000.[29] In 2011 the Police Department's costs make up 44% of the city's $400 million general budget.[29]

Unfunded police pension liabilities are a separate high cost to the city. In 2010, the Oakland Police and Fire Retirement system granted $70 million in benefits to 1,086 pensioners.[30] In 2012 the city successfully sued the city's pension system to end an estimated $11.5 million in unlawful overpayment to retired police and fire fighters.[31]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_Police_Department
Old 12-12-2014, 11:36 AM

Starting salary in Oakland area is not high at all. It is very expensive up there. Plus I would imagine police work in the Bay Area is a pretty difficult job.

That is a lot of money pumping the economy of the Bay Area by the way.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Starting salary in Oakland area is not high at all. It is very expensive up there. Plus I would imagine police work in the Bay Area is a pretty difficult job.

That is a lot of money pumping the economy of the Bay Area by the way.
I know it's expensive but 44% of the city's general budget is for the PD? Yet not one of the safer cities.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Ready

Quote:
Ursula K. Leguin
The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas
I'd forgotten that.

It's short fiction, you can read it online: http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/du...nts.omelas.pdf

The thing is, we have many victims, not one as in the Omelas bargain, and we get nothing nearly as good as Omelas out of it....
Old 12-12-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
I know it's expensive but 44% of the city's general budget is for the PD? Yet not one of the safer cities.
West Oakland Hills was getting pretty tony was it not back in the 90s?
That area sort of north of Downtown to the west near the freeway by Danville if I am remembering things correctly...up and to the left of East 14th street...one of our ship's doctors bought a house there.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
West Oakland Hills was getting pretty tony was it not back in the 90s?
That area sort of north of Downtown to the west near the freeway by Danville if I am remembering things correctly...up and to the left of East 14th street...one of our ship's doctors bought a house there.
This entire area, especially the tech sector is booming with Apple and Google leading the way. One of my friend's daughter and her BF are paying $2,500 per month in rent for a 450 sq. ft. studio apartment in "the city".

Oakland has been getting gentrified for quite a while now but still is not a very safe city despite the high cost of policing.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I am sure you will find something negative to say about these wonderful folks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlnxajQrL8w
Why do you think we are as stupid and awful as that?