Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 AM

High school students ban national anthem from rallies

Students at California High School in San Ramon decided at a recent pep rally that the national anthem will no longer be played, bucking tradition and drawing the school into a national controversy about what and whom the anthem represents.

At the start of a winter pep rally Jan. 19, the anthem wasn’t performed. No announcement was made and the rally started with competitions between different grades, organized cheers and other activities intended to pump up students.

Dennis Fiorentinos, 18, a senior at California High, was one of a handful of people who noticed.

San Ramon Police open an investigation into a potential hate crime at California High School after two incidents of hate speech were found scrawled in graffiti in both the boysâ and girlsâ bathrooms.
Media: Brandpoint

“They’ve always played the national anthem, so I thought maybe they just forgot, but then I realized there’s no way they just forgot the national anthem,” Fiorentinos told The Chronicle.

He inquired about the anthem’s absence and learned that the Associated Student Body and other student leaders had decided to remove it from the rally — something Fiorentinos views as an overreach.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:41 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

That's similar to what occurred in Maryland a few years back and Marylanders took it in stride and did the right thing. A verse in the state song referred to Lincoln as a "despot" and Northerners as "scum." The state scrubbed these lyrics and the sky didn't fall despite conservatives' insistence that it would.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...e-song-n541071

It's pretty insightful that these California kids were able to pick up on those nasty lyrics that should indeed be changed. I bet they're far more familiar with the anthem's lyrics than you are.

Are you OK with these lyrics?
“No refuge could save the hireling and slave/ From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave/ And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave.”

Personally, I'm not offended by someone else finding these racist lyrics offensive. I understand that conservative media has instructed you to be upset about it and it's very obedient of you to comply. Is it your view that it is unpatriotic to object to racism? That seems to be the GOP position in the days of Trump.

Last edited by finnbow; 02-14-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:21 AM

We used to live in San Ramon till 2002 (it's adjacent to us now) and it's a great place with a very large educated population. Also very diverse and open minded. Professionally managed pristine town and the city services are second to none. Chevron has a huge campus there.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
We used to live in San Ramon till 2002 (it's adjacent to us now) and it's a great place with a very large educated population. Also very diverse and open minded. Professionally managed pristine town and the city services are second to none. Chevron has a huge campus there.
Nice area, plenty of tech jobs in nearby Pleasanton. Had friends in Walnut Creek, and have done Craigslist deals for some nice gear in that area. Have they finally finished construction on 680? Seems like that was being worked on for decades.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Nice area, plenty of tech jobs in nearby Pleasanton.

Had friends in Walnut Creek, and have done Craigslist deals for some nice gear in that area. Have they finally finished construction on 680? Seems like that was being worked on for decades.
Yes the 4th lane on I-680 South has been completed a few months back.
But...I got screwed by not quite knowing the law. One MUST have a Fastrak transponder when using these pay lanes for single occupant vehicles. Cost me $500 even though I had transponders registered to me (at home) and the license plates have been registered for the bridge tolls. A stupid 'fine print' rule to make money. The cop told me this was a fixit ticket and perhaps I did not act on time.

I agree with San Ramon, probably the highest density of white collar residents of any suburb I have visited. Their new City Center and park and recreation complex will be the envy of any township. We don't regtert moving away (only 0.9 miles from the old house) since the population got very large and extensive development.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Area Man

Excellent! I certainly hope the wave picks up steam and the change can be made.

I've always thought "America the Beautiful" is a much better song.

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-14-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:19 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
That's similar to what occurred in Maryland a few years back and Marylanders took it in stride and did the right thing. A verse in the state song referred to Lincoln as a "despot" and Northerners as "scum." The state scrubbed these lyrics and the sky didn't fall despite conservatives' insistence that it would.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...e-song-n541071

It's pretty insightful that these California kids were able to pick up on those nasty lyrics that should indeed be changed. I bet they're far more familiar with the anthem's lyrics than you are.

“No refuge could save the hireling and slave/ From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave/ And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave.”

Personally, I'm not offended by someone else finding these racist lyrics offensive. I understand that conservative media has instructed you to be upset about it and it's very obedient of you to comply. Is it your view that it is unpatriotic to object to racism? That seems to be the GOP position in the days of Trump.
The lyrics you quoted aren't racist in that the sentiment is being applied to whites (hireling) and blacks (slave).
Old 02-14-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I bet they're far more familiar with the anthem's lyrics than you are.
And you'd lose that bet.

Quote:

I don't see racism in there. I can see how racism can be imputed to the lyrics, however. I see a description - maybe somewhat sensationalized - of the composition of British forces: slaves who chose to side with the Brits and fight for their freedom, and the "Hessian" soldiers.

I wonder if the kids had the context and history if they would find the lyrics "racist".

It not my view that its unpatriotic to be racist. It is my view that supporting historical ignorance doesn't do anyone any favors. Conservative media hasn't instructed me one way or another on this. I just find it needlessly divisive.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:23 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I don't see racism in there. I can see how racism can be imputed to the lyrics, however. I see a description - maybe somewhat sensationalized - of the composition of British forces: slaves who chose to side with the Brits and fight for their freedom, and the "Hessian" soldiers.
Condemning slaves who chose to seek their freedom by fighting for the British against their slave masters isn't racist? Who knew? Don't you find it a bit ironic that the anthem celebrating the "land of the free and home of the brave" also condemns those seeking their freedom from slavery? BTW, ~6,000 slaves won their freedom in this manner during the War of 1812.

When conservative media chose to feature this story about a single high school in CA, did they provide full historical context or did they go full Kaepernick to get a knee-jerk reaction such as yours?

Last edited by finnbow; 02-14-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Conservative media hasn't instructed me one way or another on this. I just find it needlessly divisive.
So you start a thread on it, knowing full well that you are being divisive. You’re a joke.

Last edited by Chicks; 02-14-2018 at 03:15 PM.