Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:55 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

“It's one thing for Trump's cheerleaders on @FoxNews to take this ugly cheap shot against the FBI, but for the President to blame the FL shooting on their Russia investigation is disgusting,” tweeted former Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.) “Mr President, have you no shame? Wait. I know that answer.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...h-russia-probe

This is how a cornered rat acts.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:19 PM

AZ Rep Gallego

Ruben Gallego
@RubenGallego
You are such a psychopath that you have to make even the death of 17 children about you. America will regret the day you were ever born.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Very sad that the FBI missed all of the many signals sent out by the Florida school shooter. This is not acceptable. They are spending too much time trying to prove Russian collusion with the Trump campaign - there is no collusion. Get back to the basics and make us all proud!
Old 02-18-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
“It's one thing for Trump's cheerleaders on @FoxNews to take this ugly cheap shot against the FBI, but for the President to blame the FL shooting on their Russia investigation is disgusting,” tweeted former Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.) “Mr President, have you no shame? Wait. I know that answer.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...h-russia-probe

This is how a cornered rat acts.
Agreed, Trump's world is getting smaller and the Mueller's noose is tightening.
The fact that Rosenstein did not mention collusion means there probably was collusion regardless that the Dotard tweets.
So where is Nunes these days?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:45 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
That may prove to be a problem in some parts.
I really wouldn't be averse to a buy back scenario as part of a deal but with the NRA's bought and paid for politicians, I don't have much hope. America better get used to the bodies stacked up like cordwood because as long as thugs like Wayne LaPierre and his ilk run things, this is going to continue.

Kiss and hug your kids and grandkids, old friend because you never know when they're going to become targets in the shooting gallery.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:13 AM

And it's about time Limbaugh speaks out on the recent Florida school mass murders considering it is near his home.

Rush Limbaugh attacks Parkland students for marching and ‘bashing’ NRA: ‘This is totally political’

Quote:
While speaking to Fox News Sunday, Limbaugh was asked by host Chris Wallace if a planned march by students could get lawmakers to act to prevent school shootings.

“Chris, I have to ask if anybody is really serious about solving this because none of this — by the way, I couldn’t care less about the gun angle of this,” Limbaugh replied, referring to a group of students from Parkland that Wallace had just spoken to. “None of this is going to solve — prayers and condolences don’t solve it and marches aren’t going to solve it. Chris, the next shooter is out there.”

“It’s not the fault of the NRA. It’s not the fault of any — it’s the fault of the people doing this and our inability to deal with that and stop them,” he insisted. “Until we’re willing to get serious about where we are and how do we they stop this from happening and marches aren’t going to do it, saying no more guns isn’t going to do it, bashing the NRA isn’t going to do it.”
There is more bilge from this asshole.

Quote:
“I could be snarky and I could say maybe the FBI should stop trying to find every case of sexual harassment in the White House and maybe they ought to give up on this ridiculous pursuit the Russians colluded with Trump in the election,” Limbaugh suggested. “You know, we’re told, well, we can’t do anything until the crime has been committed. That’s what has to change and is going to take some really smart people to figure how to do that without violating civil liberties and the Fourth Amendment and so forth. But it’s clear that the way we deal with this now — this, Chris, this is totally political.”
Perhaps it is indeed the parents fault for not arming their children with guns to defend themselves in school.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/rus...lly-political/
Old 02-19-2018, 05:02 AM
Ready

Second box, right after the part you bolded, there's talk that there must be compromises on 'civil liberties and the Fourth Amendment and so forth.' THIS should make you very afraid, unless you trust this bunch of right wing authoritarians to fight school shooting with powers of preventive detention and coercive mental health treatment.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:56 AM

Old 02-19-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Second box, right after the part you bolded, there's talk that there must be compromises on 'civil liberties and the Fourth Amendment and so forth.' THIS should make you very afraid, unless you trust this bunch of right wing authoritarians to fight school shooting with powers of preventive detention and coercive mental health treatment.
So, what's the right answer from your perspective?

I hesitate to wade too deep into these discussions because ultimately I don't think there's much to be gained. Both sides retreat to their entrenched - and ultimately meaningless - positions. On one hand, the second amendment isn't going away. On the other hand, its hard for me to read past the raw emotionalism of posts like the one above.

Of course the mental health of the shooter in FL was compromised. This is obvious because no sane person who do what the shooter in FL did. No sane person would do what the shooter in Vegas did. This isn't even arguable. Quibbling about whether or not the Federal gov't should intervene in the mental health system won't address the issue of comprehensive threat identification and follow up for those who might exhibit evidence of mental illness.

Arguing now about 2nd amendment rights is not a serious approach to this discussion. There will be no repeal of the 2nd amendment. Ever. OK? Let's move on.

I'll even go so far to say that complaining about the presence or lack of gun control in FL is useless as well, unless the objective is to exploit the issue as a political opportunity. No one can seriously suggest that passing gun control tomorrow, or last week, or last year, would have prevented the FL shooter from using shooting anyone. Sorry, but them's the facts, unless of course your preferred brand of "gun control" is making it illegal to purchase or own any firearm. If that's the case, you're coming to the discussion with a complete lack of sincerity, because that will never happen...ever. That's just reality, and discussions like this need to be approached from the perspective of what's real, not from what we "wish" would happen.

Bitching about the NRA isn't a serious attempt the have a discussion about a school shooting. The NRA doesn't support school shootings. Their campaign contributions are a fraction of what other moneyed interests contribute. Of course, that doesn't prevent the MSM from running boogeyman, fake news stories about how the NRA paying to teach Cruz to shoot.

Politicians are all over the media right now stating that they want action now on "common sense gun safety measures". There's a wonderful example of political non-speak. What the hell does it mean? Nothing, of course.

So, what specifically is the solution that you're proposing?
Old 02-19-2018, 12:45 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
So, what's the right answer from your perspective?...
What Maryland did was a good start, along with significant background checks and training requirements for firearms ownership. All would easily pass constitutional muster if the GOP had the balls to buck the NRA on the subject. Maryland also has rigorous requirements for concealed carry. It too has passed muster with the courts.

I'm a Maryland resident and gun owner (and have been for over 50 years) and don't feel a bit put out by either of these laws.

Another law that exists in four states (CA, WA, IN, CT) could have prevented the Parkland shooting and many more like it, a Gun Violence Restraining Order. Even with the criticism of the FBI in the Parkland case, there's nothing they could have done without such a law in place. He bought his AR-15 legally despite many run-ins with local law enforcement and social services.

None of these laws are news to anybody who knows anything about gun laws, yet Congressional Republicans won't even entertain debate on any of them. What ever happened to their promise to do something about bump stocks?

Last edited by finnbow; 02-19-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:55 PM

Review of More Than 130 Studies Provides Powerful Evidence That Gun Control Saves Lives

https://www.sciencealert.com/scienti...ks-saves-lives

Happy to live in a state where common sense laws have banned assault rifles for years.