Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Area Man

Post it on the internet all you want. How many people do you know who will actually read it? Count them on one hand, maybe?

I think it's another one of those "sounds great" ideas that will never happen, and even if it did it wouldn't really make much impact.

But, then again, if it did work, maybe less people would be listening to the "talking heads" or "barking dogs" as I call them, and more people would be thinking for themselves?

Precisely why it'll never happen.

Dave
Old 02-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Post it on the internet all you want. How many people do you know who will actually read it? Count them on one hand, maybe?
Didn't work with health care. It's posted. People *still* don't know what's in it.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Area Man

Well, why should they read it, when all they have to do to get "the truth" is tune to FauxNews or EIB?

Dave
Old 02-10-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Well, why should they read it, when all they have to do to get "the truth" is tune to FauxNews or EIB?

Dave
Fortunately they have "the truth" all worked out before the bill is written. Makes it easier.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM

This isn't about disclosure. It's about paralysis. If a Congressman isn't going to willingly slog through a 1,000 page bill, what makes anyone think the average citizen will? They'll just listen to some pundit who claims to know the bill inside out because he claims that he read it.

The only thing that can come of this is greater opportunities for gridlock where an opposition party whose members haven't read a piece of legislation because they're not bound to under this law can block it while requiring the members of the party who wrote it to swear they read it because they are bound to.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 02-10-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Area Man

"So what does this bill, mean?"

"It means Obama is a Nazi and he's sending the black helicopters around to take your guns, whack your grandmother and turn your kids into queers. Only Republicans can save you now. I know this to be true because God told me so."

"Holy shit, Mable, start diggin'! We got to dig us a bunker! Hoarde up all the ammo ya kin scrounge!"

Geez.

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142EBC View Post
I read this in today's paper. It sounds to me like a great idea; actually a "no-brainer." I really like the idea of having to post them on the Internet for 4 business days prior to a vote. Other than national security and emergencies, I don't see a problem with this idea. Anyone care to shed some light on what might be a downside to this?
Thanks,
Mike

BISMARCK (AP) - A proposed ballot initiative would require North Dakota lawmakers to swear they have read and understood any bill they intend to support, and attest that they haven't been influenced by bribes or vote trading.

The measure, proposed by Jerrol LeBaron of California, also would delay a final vote on any bill in the North Dakota Legislature until it had been posted on the Internet for at least four days.

North Dakota is the first state where LeBaron is attempting to put the issue on the ballot. He said he picked North Dakota because its petition deadlines provide enough time to gather the required signatures this year.

''North Dakota actually has a wonderful opportunity here ... for the legislators to brag about the fact that it is the most transparent, most accountable, and most responsible state in the nation,'' he said.

LeBaron, who lives in Tajunga in Los Angeles County, has been traveling to North Dakota for the past two weeks attempting to recruit sponsors for the measure, which he hopes will be put on the November ballot.

A North Dakota initiative must have at least 25 sponsors who are eligible to vote in the state. LeBaron said he was close to having the number of sponsors he needs.

His proposal is a constitutional amendment, which would require signatures from at least 25,688 North Dakota voters to put it to a statewide vote. To qualify for the November election, the needed signatures would have to be turned in to Secretary of State Al Jaeger by Aug. 4.

The amendment says the North Dakota House and Senate may not vote on any legislation until after its final text has been available for public viewing on the Internet for at least four business days. Any amendments to the measure would require the waiting period to begin anew.

It says any legislator who votes for a bill or resolution must sign two sworn statements, the first attesting that he or she has read the bill and understands it, and the second promising that his or her vote has not been influenced by a bribe or vote trading. A bill's opponent would have to sign only the no-improper-influence pledge.

A lawmaker who falsely signed either affidavit could be prosecuted for perjury, the measure says. A perjury conviction in North Dakota carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Rep. Al Carlson, R-Fargo, the House majority leader, said he did not believe the measure was necessary.

''If I saw a problem I'd probably think he had a good idea, but I'm wondering where the problem here is,'' Carlson said. ''But our process is open. If he can get the signatures, we'll vote on it.''

The text of bills and amendments in the North Dakota Legislature are already available on the Internet, as are the schedules of committee hearings where bills are examined in detail, Carlson said.

The Legislature's rules require that every bill and resolution get a hearing and a vote in the chamber in which it was first introduced, unless the proposal is withdrawn.

<p
do you personally read all your own contracts?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
do you personally read all your own contracts?
More on point, I do contracts at work. I look them over and find anything that's clearly not in the spirit of the deal I'm trying to make. Then I send them to lawyers. Congress members work similarly. They have a staff that reads all the fine print and create briefs for the members. I would think there's another similarity. I do the same knids of contracts over and over and they all have the same basic stuff in them. I do a lot of contacts for voice over artists and music libraries. They're pretty much the same. Even someone of my limited ability can pretty quickly narrow it down to the length of agreement, performance and sync rights, scope of use and cost. Takes me about 90 seconds to go through a four page contract.

I'd bet a lot of bills are similar. Same kind of clause that does pretty much the same thing. We whittle entire graphs down to a check on a sheet for approval. I'm sure their staff does something similar.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:

Dave
Because blogs are in vogue. Politics have always been a trendy deal and thank's to VP Gore, we now have the ultimate in political info...correct or otherwise.