Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
But only if it doesn't run afoul of the rights of minorities. If one looks at say France or the UK, one can get a sense of the profound effects of Sharia law. In the salient case here, a NJ woman sought a restraining order against her husband after being beaten and raped, the restraining order was denied because of consideration of Sharia law.
... and the judge's ruling was overturned.

In 2009, state Superior Court Judge Joseph Charles denied a woman a restraining order after she reported her husband repeatedly beat and sexually assaulted her. She and her husband are Muslim.

Charles asked their imam during the injunction hearing how Islamic law applies to sexual behavior. The imam testified that a wife must comply with her husband’s sexual demands, but a husband was forbidden to approach his wife "like any animal."

Charles said he denied the restraining order in part because the husband’s "desire to have sex when and whether he wanted to, was something that was consistent with his practices and it was something that was not prohibited," according to the decision.

The New Jersey appeals court ruled July 23, 2010, that Charles was wrong. His decision contradicted U.S. and state Supreme Court precedent on conflicts between criminal law and religion, the ruling said.

http://www.politifact.com/georgia/st...haria-law-nj-/
Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Loyal Opposition

I would imagine that a majority of the folks advocating these laws are "small government" advocates too. I also doubt that they see the contradiction.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-15-2012, 06:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

The issue I take with this law, is that I believe it to be more politically motivated than anything else.

Dave
I believe you hit the nail on the head.
+1.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 AM

True, but...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
That was not an example of the application of Sharia law. The Muslim community condemned the actions and the attitudes that led to them. I for one don't want to cease being a pluralistic society. Muslim faith is no more reason for exclusion than is Methodism or Agnosticism.

Regards,

D-ray
True up to a point. Except for a few diehards the Muslim community cannot be seen to back Sharia law; both in the U.K. and the U.S.A. some of the things it tries to justify are criminal offenses but all to often, those who condemn something in public practice it in private.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:13 AM

If the bastards want to live under Sharia law, why don't they just pack up their shit and move back to Sharia?

Chas
Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If the bastards want to live under Sharia law, why don't they just pack up their shit and move back to Sharia?

Chas
Yeah, Same with the folks who Brought Catholicism and Judaism. Come to think of it, the Christians were interlopers here.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 AM

Just a follow up

In the good old US of A (Land of the brave, Home of the Free) you've got a lot of legal rights which you fight to preserve, but which are in contradiction with each other.

Example. Some Evangelical Christian Churches claim that their faith allows them to using physical chastisement to "drive the Devil out of a child". This is a nice gray area. Religious freedom is protected under your Constitution, but does it allow child abuse in the name of religion? If so, how far does it go?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Jigsawed

Here in Brooklyn where Hasidics are politically significant there is some tacit agreement within the legal institutions to give some slack to the place and authority of the Rabbi.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
In the good old US of A (Land of the brave, Home of the Free) you've got a lot of legal rights which you fight to preserve, but which are in contradiction with each other.

Example. Some Evangelical Christian Churches claim that their faith allows them to using physical chastisement to "drive the Devil out of a child". This is a nice gray area. Religious freedom is protected under your Constitution, but does it allow child abuse in the name of religion? If so, how far does it go?
In my opinion, while the state has no jurisdiction over one's immortal soul, it does have jurisdiction to protect others from bodily harm. Therefore, to the extent that one's religion imposes bodily harm on others, the state has a legitimate interest in preventing such harm.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Here is an interesting read on the subject.

http://www.grin.com/en/doc/233965/th...t-and-physical

It seems one man's "correction" is another man's "abuse".
In my opinion there is a big difference between beating and spanking. A smack on the bottom to reinforce parental instruction does not equate with hitting, punching, etc. The problem is what one thinks about the meaning of "harm".