Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:42 AM

Question Has anyone here looked into the total Historical Origins of your Religion ?

I have had a sorted relationship with Religion for my very start !

I asked way too many questions for any religious leader that I have had the opportunity to talk too.

Have Faith was the most common response that I received, others just told me that what I was asking was Blaspheme ? So I asked just what the definition of "Blaspheme" was ?

I have also noticed that many people have no idea concerning the founding of their religions. They just insist on the stories that where told them in church ? Until proven wrong !

So, have any of you researched your religion's factual histories ????

Now don't get this post wrong, I am very happy for those that are happy with their religion and Faith ! I never proselytize, as I am the soul member of my religion, and I am very Happy with that, although I am finding many fellow believers that agree with me ?

Bill

Last edited by Big_Bill; 01-03-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Fact and reason are the poison pills of religion, because the ignorance and denial of them is the very foundation of such lines of thinking. Without the childhood indoctrination and fear mongering practices of religions, they would have been seen through and forgotten centuries ago. It is a source of endless amazement to me that the majority of our species fails to see through such a transparent farce.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
Fact and reason are the poison pills of religion, because the ignorance and denial of them is the very foundation of such lines of thinking. Without the childhood indoctrination and fear mongering practices of religions, they would have been seen through and forgotten centuries ago. It is a source of endless amazement to me that the majority of our species fails to see through such a transparent farce.
So I'm guessing you are not a religious man....
Old 01-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Loyal Opposition

I have been fortunate to have been exposed to the perspective of a Greek scholar in understanding the Christian scriptures. Much of that perspective puts into question how literal an actual interpretation is followed by those who claim to literally believe in everything said in the Bible.

I have also studied the history of the denomination in which I was raised - Methodism. The founder of Methodism, John Wesley, did not intend to start a new church. He wanted to reform the Church of England. The history of the Methodist Church in America is intertwined with the history of America's revolution. Part of my research into the history of the Methodist Church included a visit to the John Street Church in New York City, the first Methodist church in America. That actually made it the first Methodist Church, as the Methodists in England considered themselves reformers in the Church of England.

The thing that, IMHO, sets Methodism apart from other traditional denominations is that reason is an important component of the theology. I recognize that faith and reason are incompatible in many ways - indeed, faith is belief in something that cannot be proved. Nevertheless, I also recognize (believe?) that spirituality is part of life. The feeling I had when I visited the John Street Church might be explained as a chemical or physiological process, but to me, it seemed like a religious experience.

On the other hand, another matter that rests deeply within my belief system is the absolute necessity for separation of church and state.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I have been fortunate to have been exposed to the perspective of a Greek scholar in understanding the Christian scriptures. Much of that perspective puts into question how literal an actual interpretation is followed by those who claim to literally believe in everything said in the Bible....
...I recognize that faith and reason are incompatible in many ways - indeed, faith is belief in something that cannot be proved. Nevertheless, I also recognize (believe?) that spirituality is part of life. The feeling I had when I visited the John Street Church might be explained as a chemical or physiological process, but to me, it seemed like a religious experience.

On the other hand, another matter that rests deeply within my belief system is the absolute necessity for separation of church and state.

Regards,

D-Ray
Well done, gentlemen. Deep in my heart and mind (and if I take the time to think about it), I pretty much believe as Neophyte does. I don't think deeply about religion in a personal way, but have a strong interest in religion's influence on history, culture, and contemporary politics.

I also believe that if man had no religion he'd invent one and that most people have their faith due to circumstance of birth. I like to think I have religious tolerance, but must admit that I don't like the Evangelical movement's influence in American politics.

Would we be better off as a nation or a world without religion? I have mixed feelings on this one.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:37 PM

Don't trust most preachers any more than I trust most politicians.

So I've got my own church, my own political party, and drinking is allowed at the camp meetings because I'm the bartender.

Anyone is allowed to attend, unless I don't like 'em, and BYOB.

Chas
Old 01-03-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I have been fortunate to have been exposed to the perspective of a Greek scholar in understanding the Christian scriptures. Much of that perspective puts into question how literal an actual interpretation is followed by those who claim to literally believe in everything said in the Bible.

I have also studied the history of the denomination in which I was raised - Methodism. The founder of Methodism, John Wesley, did not intend to start a new church. He wanted to reform the Church of England. The history of the Methodist Church in America is intertwined with the history of America's revolution. Part of my research into the history of the Methodist Church included a visit to the John Street Church in New York City, the first Methodist church in America. That actually made it the first Methodist Church, as the Methodists in England considered themselves reformers in the Church of England.

The thing that, IMHO, sets Methodism apart from other traditional denominations is that reason is an important component of the theology. I recognize that faith and reason are incompatible in many ways - indeed, faith is belief in something that cannot be proved. Nevertheless, I also recognize (believe?) that spirituality is part of life. The feeling I had when I visited the John Street Church might be explained as a chemical or physiological process, but to me, it seemed like a religious experience.

Regards,

D-Ray
Interesting D-Ray,

But have you looked into the founding of The Church of England, and why it was founded. Or the reasons that the Methodists Church wanted to reform the Church of England ? And why the Methodist Church of England feels separate from the Methodist Church here in America ?

And due to the Church of England having broken off from the Catholic Church, have you looked into Origin of the Catholic Church and Christianity itself ?

Inquiring minds ?

Bill

Last edited by Big_Bill; 01-03-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: my mind is faster than my fingers :)
Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Loyal Opposition

If I recall my history, Henry the VIII was not raised to be a king, but a bishop or higher. When his brother, the heir to the throne, died an untimely death, Henry took the position that it was his duty to not only assume the crown, but to succeed his brother as the husband to Catherine of Aragon. When she failed to give birth to an heir, Henry theorized that he had misinterpreted his duty to marry his brother's widow, and that is why she had not borne a son. He sought an annulment, but unfortunately for Hank 8, Catherine was the Pope's neice. He was, therefore, not inclined to buy into Hank's theory. Hank then decided to take his ball and go home - he formed his own church and sent Cathy packing.

The story aptly demonstrates that churches are indeed worldly institutions. The more powerful they become - and the Roman Catholic Church was powerful indeed - the more subject they are to corruption. (Of course many here say the same thing about governments and, some of us, about corporations). Any institution in which humans are involved is doomed to some level of imperfection, as are we lowly humans. Maybe for some, religious belief reflects a desire to associate themselves with something to which they ascribe perfection. What I know is that the particular group of religious folks, with whom I associate, display characteristics that I consider admirable, and together are able improve the existence of many people around them. Whatever it is that inspires that altruism can't be all bad.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Neo and my fellow religion distrusters, remember it wasn't the 'tree of knowledge' - it was the 'tree of knowledge of good and evil'. Anyone who reads the Bible for themselves can see that reason is more than welcomed, it is neccessary. Solomon asked for the gift of wisdom, and Jesus choked the government of man with his Socratic reasoning.

Hello Bill, nice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Don't trust most preachers any more than I trust most politicians.

So I've got my own church, my own political party, and drinking is allowed at the camp meetings because I'm the bartender.

Anyone is allowed to attend, unless I don't like 'em, and BYOB.

Chas
LOL! But hey, buy the beer, you'll get more members

Pete
Old 01-03-2012, 03:01 PM

It ain't "The Church of Free Beer".

Chas