Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
The christian religion is important to me because it provides a conscience. More to the point it not only provides (a conscience) for me but for others. At least we have a basic floor on which to stand.
Really? I know plenty of people who claim to be pretty devout who seem to have no conscience at all.

But, if it works that way for you GREAT!

Dave
Old 06-09-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Devoid of christian influence?
Dondilion,
in my life, there have been many influences, some good and some bad, but, all have helped to shape the person I am today.

As far as any christian influence, I would have to say that element impacted my life in a way that led me away from believing in any god that organized religion promotes, so, in that respect, it certainly hasn't helped imbed any values in me in the sense you are speaking of.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Really? I know plenty of people who claim to be pretty devout who seem to have no conscience at all.

But, if it works that way for you GREAT!

Dave
Well stated.........
Old 06-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Jigsawed

It is my observation that essence of the christian gospel has influenced us towards the good deeds more than we care to acknowledge or realise.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
It is my observation that essence of the christian gospel has influenced us towards the good deeds more than we care to acknowledge or realise.
I'm not surprised. It's easy to use the christian gospel to justify just about anything you want. You choose to see it as a conveyor of good works for you and that is a good thing. However, not everybody needs the crutch of religion to find good or project good in this world.
Whatever floats your boat.........but, isn't it enough to be happy and fulfilled with what you believe without having to convert others?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:53 PM

I'm gone to prepare a place
That where I am thou shall abide

So Jah seh

Fear not for mighty dread
'Cause I'll be there at your side
Old 06-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Area Man

Here's a religous influence, I'd like to share with you Dondillion;

My mother once whipped me with an extension cord for being reluctant to go to church with her. I was 10. I sat on the wooden pew with welts from my shoulder blades to the backs of my knees. I took it like a little soldier though....('Cuz if I didn't, I'd get it again after church.)

Ah, yes. Christianity has been my solace and guiding light, fer sure.

Dave
Old 06-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
I'm not surprised. It's easy to use the christian gospel to justify just about anything you want. You choose to see it as a conveyor of good works for you and that is a good thing. However, not everybody needs the crutch of religion to find good or project good in this world.
Whatever floats your boat.........but, isn't it enough to be happy and fulfilled with what you believe without having to convert others?
No need for conversion. Even the atheist uses christian points of reference as guide.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Admin

Quote:
No need for conversion. Even the atheist uses christian points of reference as guide.
To be correct I submit that agnostic might be a better term substituted for atheist in that statement as an atheist would consider that a left handed compliment. Not to mention that an atheist probably could teach a christian a thing or two regarding tolerance.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
To be correct I submit that agnostic might be a better term substituted for atheist in that statement as an atheist would consider that a left handed compliment. Not to mention that an atheist probably could teach a christian a thing or two regarding tolerance.
Way too broad a brush there Bob. I'll agree that too many who attest to being Christians take a far too narrow view of what it means to be a moral person. By making religion a litmus test for what is moral, they neglect a wealth of information from all sources - science, experience, other faiths, other cultures - that could guide our moral choices. One who believes himself to be holier than thou isn't likely to learn anything from thou.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that tolerance includes ridiculing beliefs that do not satisfy the bounds of one's own logic. Nor is it tolerant to demand silence by those who would share information about something that provides meaning to an individual. Isn't that elevating logic to its own kind of holiness?

I love the "what are you listening to" thread here. It was pretty obvious today how excited I was about the musical experience that I enjoyed with the Crossroads DVDs. Music adds something to many or our lives, but it holds different levels of importance for each of us. Many of us like to talk about it. Our musical tastes do not, however, define our worth as individuals.

I see a close parallel between how music affects us and how religion affects us. Indeed, listening to some music is akin to a spiritual experience. One would not, however, to insist that our approach to music be logical. Similarly, religion adds something to the lives of many people, and is very important to them. It would seem like those who want to share their thoughts about that experience are entitled to the same respect as those who would tell us about the greatest concert they ever heard.

Regards,

D-Ray