Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Admin

I advocate the rhythm method! When you see ol' white folks dance it's a foregone conclusion that nobodys gettin' laid tonite.
All kidding aside, what's the fuss? If you want to play in the secular world you play by secular rules, founders original intent.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Guys wake up ans smell the roses, the middle ages passed quitw some time ago. No one is asking them to "knickle under" just to operate secularly just like everyone else. I don't hear crys of outrage fro any of the other churches. Some of which favour polygamy but that is a no-no here so they don't do it. What is so bloody special about the Church of Rome?
Roses are OK, but I'd prefer to wake up and smell the coffee.

If the government recognizes exceptions elsewhere in the law - i.e, exemptions from certain civil rights legislation based on bona fide occupational qualifications (a woman can legally be discriminated against as a model for men's underwear, for example) why is it so preposterous to grant the church an exemption from this narrow thread of PPACA? Seems like its Obama and HHS that is making the issue bigger than it needs to be.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
C'mon, do you think that there are any aspects of the employment relationship in which the employers are not asserting economic control over their employees. "Well you can have the medical coverage under the terms we see fit, which means that we aren't going to pay for whoopie protection, or hormonal therapy for that matter, or you can go spend a grand or so a month on it."

Regards,

D-Ray
I can see by your post that the concept of employment at will is truly dead and buried!

The moment that employers REQUIRE employees to enroll in health insurance, I'll concede your argument.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I can see by your post that the concept of employment at will is truly dead and buried!

The moment that employers REQUIRE employees to enroll in health insurance, I'll concede your argument.
I have had plenty of experience with at will employment, with the exceptions. The reality is that the employment world is much different than the agrarian days when the at will rule was developed. But that's a subject for another thread.

The point of my post is that employees do not have as much choice as you suggest - at least not economically feasible choices.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Roses are OK, but I'd prefer to wake up and smell the coffee.

If I woke to the smell of roses instead of coffee I'd figure I had finnaly bit the big one.

Hope I don't smell roses in the morning for a long long time.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
The point of my post is that employees do not have as much choice as you suggest - at least not economically feasible choices.

Regards,

D-Ray
Maybe as a matter of opinion, but not as a matter of law. Employer benefits are still an opt-in for employees, not a requirement.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Maybe as a matter of opinion, but not as a matter of law. Employer benefits are still an opt-in for employees, not a requirement.
I thought we were talking politics.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Resident octogenarian

Since everyone ducked this I'll run it up the flagpole again.

If they provide contraception "good" catholics will not use it and only "non catholics" in their employ well use it. Since it is also used to alleviate some medical conditions, the church is allowing its dogma to interfere in the life of certain women who may require such treatment, hardly a christian act.

Not all women are wealthy enough to cover this cost AND the cost of the health insurance.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Interesting thing about the Catholic church - one is not required to join it, and one is not required to work for it.

Pete
Old 05-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Interesting thing about the Catholic church - one is not required to join it, and one is not required to work for it.

Pete
And women don't have to work for employers that pay women less than men; and minorities don't have to work for employers that permit an atmosphere of racial harassment; and we don't have to eat at restaurants that serve tainted food; and we don't need to breathe the air that factories pollute; and we don't have to shop at businesses who engage in price fixing. Shoot, if they have a good enough excuse, nobody should have to follow by the rules that apply to employers.

Regards,

D-Ray