Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I'll be voting for Mitt if he's the nominee. I don't think I've ever voted anything but a straight Republican ticket. Boring I guess.
Makes me think of the yank in a Glagow pub when they got talking of politics;

The yank says" My grndpappy was a republican, My daddy is a republican and I will always be a republican."

A soft burr from the back of the room "Whist laddie hae ye nae ambeetion?"

Last edited by merrylander; 03-04-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:46 PM

I am on my parents insurance thanks to one of the provisions of the Affordable Healthcare Act. While I agree with the sentiment that it should be a single payer system I also feel the need to stand up and say that I've been using my insurance on preventative medicine in order to be healthier in the future. The plan? To not cost the tax payer or my employer as much money for healthcare that I don't need.

I feel like the pull on the right to repeal the AHCA is because as more and more provisions of the bill keep kicking in more and more people will have experiences like mine. Access to dental, access to glasses, real help quitting smoking, knowing what's happening inside of my body etc.

While the President has been a darling for big business, soft on the banks and imperialistic with his foreign policy he's also done a lot of things that a lot of people have been realizing that they really like.

In comparison, every promise made by the Republican candidates has been either regressive, poised towards the rich or forewarning of big-government fascism (IE. Rick Santorum).
Old 03-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinE View Post
In comparison, every promise made by the Republican candidates has been either regressive, poised towards the rich or forewarning of big-government fascism (IE. Rick Santorum).
You're pretty perceptive for a young lad.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Admin

Quote:
I'll be voting for Mitt if he's the nominee. I don't think I've ever voted anything but a straight Republican ticket. Boring I guess.
Nothing wrong or boring with consistency. We as a country need to go back to respect and a sense of pulling together. All this backbiting and obstructionism is what gets to me. Congress has turned into a joke. All everyone of them seems to want is an ever bigger war chest to retire on. The thought of public service is out of vogue. Whatever happened to the loyal opposition concept?
It wasn't utopia but it seemed a whole lot better than what's being served up these days.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Nothing wrong or boring with consistency. We as a country need to go back to respect and a sense of pulling together. All this backbiting and obstructionism is what gets to me. Congress has turned into a joke. All everyone of them seems to want is an ever bigger war chest to retire on. The thought of public service is out of vogue. Whatever happened to the loyal opposition concept?
It wasn't utopia but it seemed a whole lot better than what's being served up these days.
Ain't it the truth. Many times I wonder just how much money is enough for some of these guys. The root of all evil they say. BTW, my family was democrats as far back as I know of. My Mother thought Ted Kennedy walked on water.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Admin

Quote:
Ain't it the truth. Many times I wonder just how much money is enough for some of these guys. The root of all evil they say. BTW, my family was democrats as far back as I know of. My Mother thought Ted Kennedy walked on water.
Chappaquiddick probably changed her mind. Much as I admire the Kennedys, folks should remember they are in the 1% but at least they gave a heap back to rest of us slobs. Almost none of the high falutin' folk practice any of that these days.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Chappaquiddick probably changed her mind. Much as I admire the Kennedys, folks should remember they are in the 1% but at least they gave a heap back to rest of us slobs. Almost none of the high falutin' folk practice any of that these days.

I believe in redemption and one can "Atonement for their Sins. Senator Kennedy tried to do good with the rest of the life he had IMO!

Barney
Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Resident octogenarian

Interesting OpEd piece by Senator Snowe in todays WaPo. She feels that we will be wasting our time looking for Congress to heal itself. That to me was an oblique suggestion that we as voters need to throw the bums out.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Interesting OpEd piece by Senator Snowe in todays WaPo. She feels that we will be wasting our time looking for Congress to heal itself. That to me was an oblique suggestion that we as voters need to throw the bums out.
Well, I know the republicans are rejoicing over her retirement. Even if a dem takes her place, at least you know what you're dealing with. I personally think she has been suffering some sort of mental issues for the last few years. Good call on her part to hang it up, it's time.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Expecting Congress to heal it self? That would be akin to expecting the inmates at San Quentin to rehabilitate spontaneously.

It's amazing how the felons find Jesus as soon as they are given a parole hearing date! Lordy, lord- surpriiise, surpriise.as Gomer Pyle would say.
The last place you want to be is on Bubba's cellblock when his murderous ass is turned down at the hearing. cause Bubba is going to be lookin' to shove his Bible and some other items,(that I'll leave to your imagination) up some poor souls patootie. Shortly before he beats them to death, mumbling "Da lord giveth and da Lord taketh, muthaf...a."

I would say, kudos to O.Snowe for tellin' it like it is. Congress will never pass legislation contrary to their own personal interests and their favorite rich lobbyists.

I'm more and more a decided Shakespearean when it comes to legislators.

So I'm gonna rename the Contrarians Social Club to the Shakespearean Vigilante Commitee! Maybe I'll get some like minded theatre lovers to join. Wanna join? Heh. Talk to Bubba cause he's in charge....