Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Resident octogenarian

John I used to wonder the same things, and I agree regarding orgaanized religion, that is why we left the church. Regarding the "no sign of a compassionate God" that did bother me. Many say it was because He gave us free will. I tend to think more of someone who started an experiment, went off to start others (no I don't believe we are alone) and comes back from time to time to see how things are going.

Maybe on one of those visits he saw a lonely, unhappy widow stuck in hotel by the police because her road home was blocked. Saw me heading down I-95 following an 18 wheeler and nudged me off when the 18 wheeler left I-95 and into that same hotel. Since I never go anywhere without my white horse and shining armor I offered her my protection as there were no rooms but plenty of not exactly savory characters. We had breakfast the next morning, and exchanged addresses planning to become pen pals. As you might imagine I am very careful with whom she shakes hands. Just joking, I trust her with my life.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Maybe on one of those visits he saw a lonely, unhappy widow stuck in hotel by the police because her road home was blocked. Saw me heading down I-95 following an 18 wheeler and nudged me off when the 18 wheeler left I-95 and into that same hotel. Since I never go anywhere without my white horse and shining armor I offered her my protection as there were no rooms but plenty of not exactly savory characters. We had breakfast the next morning, and exchanged addresses planning to become pen pals. As you might imagine I am very careful with whom she shakes hands. Just joking, I trust her with my life.
So, what you're saying is that this was one of His good days?

John
Old 09-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Resident octogenarian

As far as we are concerned. I don't even know why I left the hotel in VA and headed for BWI, Feb 11-12 1983 the DC area got 24" of snow in 24 hours. Crazy Canadian figured he could drive in anything. At the spot where the Beltway splits at 270 there were six lanes of cars - on a four lane highway.

Well time to feed the kitties, the mother cat showed up after being AWOL for over a month. That terroris tomcat broke up our little feral family. Her calico daughter practically went ballistic with joy. Who knows maybe we will see the orange tabby tuxedo and the tortishell yet again.

Last edited by merrylander; 09-09-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
As far as we are concerned. I don't even know why I left the hotel in VA and headed for BWI, Feb 11-12 1983 the DC area got 24" of snow in 24 hours. Crazy Canadian figured he could drive in anything. At the spot where the Beltway splits at 270 there were six lanes of cars - on a four lane highway.
At the time of that blizzard I was working in Alexandria.........

And living about 5 miles south if Belair!

John
Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 AM
Resident octogenarian

The meeting I was attending was in Vienna, VA, left the hotel at 4:30 and arrived at that Holiday Inn in Laurel at 7:45. Still it was a storm we will remember fondly.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
I realize that some of you find religion a hoax, and certainly most of the organized ones fall into that category.

That said, when I consider how Florence and I met in the Blizzard of 83, carried on a romance separated by over 500 miles, how a job offer and the attendant H1B visa materialized, along with the possibility of taking early retirement from a job that was getting boring, I simply feel there was a heck of a lot more than coincidence in it. When her lymph glands swole so terribly and they were thinking - cancer, and she wanted me not to come. I said I was coming for the 3 or 5 years we might have. I found myself on my knees in a little church asking Him to intervene. Well the swelling went away and so far we have had the 29 happiest years of our lives and looking forward to more. So maybe it was all just co-incidence, but you will never convince us.
Amen.

Pete