Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:15 PM

I collected Buick muscle for years, and got out about 4 years ago. Coolest one I ever had was a 64 Riviera with factory dual 4s on a 425 Wildcat. Man what a ride, FM radio, posi, the works.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:15 AM

U.K. also.

Regretably this is also the case in the U.K. I used to buy special order steel pins for re-pinning musical box cylinders from a company in Bradford called Pinco. Made in the U.K., sold in the U.K. Then some bean counter had the bright idea of selling all their production equipment (highly modified grinders, impossible to replace) to India. Labor costs were much lower; the idea was to buy back the finished products which even after delivery and customs charges would have been cheaper than making them here. Problem was that having got the equipment the Indian company went bust. Scratch Pinco; the last remaining pin manufacturer left in Britain. Now I have to buy pins made in Germany.

Question. Are there any TV's still made in the U.S.A? A few years back I visited a friend in Muncie, Indiana. She had two TV's; one a huge Magnivox in a beutifull wood case, the other a Sony. When it was working, the Magnivox produced a lousy picture and smelt hot. The Sony? Reliable and watchable. Guess which one we used?

Sorry about the lousy spelling, I've had to switch to Firefox and although it has all the bells and whistles imaginable, one thing I can't find is a spellchecker.

Last edited by Combwork; 06-30-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:18 AM
Resident octogenarian

The water her IS acidulous and since I mentioned those damn Chinees goosenecks made from rice paper guess what happened - when I took my shower it leaked into the wall. I bought two when I replaced that one so I was able to get the shower back in service. It is a real PITA because the gooseneck breaks off and leave a small piece in the fitting, getting it out involves an awl, a hammer and long nose pliers. I must research whether or not a plastic (threaded) goosneck is available.

Our neighbor whose well is only about 30 or 40 feet deep had to replace all their copper piping. Our well is 300 feet deep so maybe the earth filters out more acid at that depth.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Administrator

I don't think there are any TV plants left in the US are there ?

What about Ruger. Are they still being made in Arizona.

I think Benjamin Sheraton Airguns are still made in Wisconsin but would not bet money on that.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:28 AM

IIRC, Ruger has plants in Arizona, Connecticut, & New Hampshire. Sony DID assemble TVs for awhile in California, but that's been ages ago... As far as making a TV from start to finish, no, I don't think that's done here anymore.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:13 AM

Enjoy...

http://www.americansworking.com/
Old 06-30-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
Outstanding! Anyone else notice that these brands we have mentioned are all the best quality stuff available. I still put up Americans against any worker in the world. If only the government would get out of their way.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:16 PM

Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The water her IS acidulous and since I mentioned those damn Chinees goosenecks made from rice paper guess what happened - when I took my shower it leaked into the wall. I bought two when I replaced that one so I was able to get the shower back in service. It is a real PITA because the gooseneck breaks off and leave a small piece in the fitting, getting it out involves an awl, a hammer and long nose pliers. I must research whether or not a plastic (threaded) goosneck is available.

Our neighbor whose well is only about 30 or 40 feet deep had to replace all their copper piping. Our well is 300 feet deep so maybe the earth filters out more acid at that depth.
Next time you have to replace a gooseneck get an easy out, I carry one in my plumbing kit. I don't think you can thread any kind of plastic worth a shit.

Actually, the shower arm is made from chrome plated brass, although I have seen some white ones. I'll be more than happy to send you a chrome Moen at no cost, I've a pile of them, just PM me an address. Can't help you with brushed nickel or bronze.

It still sounds to me like someone slipped and grabbed the shower head, or stressed it in some way. They're generally pretty tough.

Chas
Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 PM

Painter, that is a good link, reminded me of my Weber Kettle...well seasoned by now. What can I say, I'm a charcoal man.

You'll have to pry that old Weber out of my cold, dead hand, once you pry the GP100 out of the other.

Chas
Old 06-30-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Outstanding! Anyone else notice that these brands we have mentioned are all the best quality stuff available. I still put up Americans against any worker in the world. If only the government would get out of their way.
Hehehehehe...In the late '70s thru '92, my company belonged to Dennison Mfg. Co, an "Office Products" supplier out of Framingham, Mass. They were into EVERYTHING, pens, Carter's Ink, but one thing they made that EVERYBODY knows about are the little tiny re-inforcements that kids put around the holes in notebook paper...The also had Therimage, a heat-setting decalcomania that went on soft bottles, like French's Mustard & a LOT of hair-care & related products. They bought us because WE printed labels, too, & they thought they could utilise our capacity. Didn't really work out that way, our presses were 36" web width, & Therimage works best on narrow-web presses, no more than 20" wide tops. Their pressmen & engineers never could get Therimage to run faster than 2-300 feet a minute, which is dreadfully slow. They put up a narrow-web press at our place, & us dumb ol' hillbillies who didn't know Jack Schitt about printing-so THEY thought, anyhow, soon had it running along at 4-500 feet a minute...With better register, less ink spots, etc to boot...I always kinda liked that...Stickin' it to a bunch of arrogant New England Yankees...Mbwahahahaha...