Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 AM

I don't know if there are any other fans of the great Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister here (if you haven't seen it, it is likely the best show ever done on Politics - Margaret Thatchers favorite), but the discussion of Hillary not running brought this quote to mind:

"If asked if he wants to be Prime Minister, the generally acceptable answer for a politician is that while he does not seek the office, he has pledged himself to the service of his country, and that should his colleagues persuade him that that is the best way he can serve, he might reluctantly have to accept the responsibility, whatever his personal wishes might be."
Old 11-09-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
I don't know if there are any other fans of the great Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister here (if you haven't seen it, it is likely the best show ever done on Politics - Margaret Thatchers favorite), but the discussion of Hillary not running brought this quote to mind:

"If asked if he wants to be Prime Minister, the generally acceptable answer for a politician is that while he does not seek the office, he has pledged himself to the service of his country, and that should his colleagues persuade him that that is the best way he can serve, he might reluctantly have to accept the responsibility, whatever his personal wishes might be."
I love that show! Nigel Hawthorn (The Madness of King George) is priceless.

It's funny this should come up just now. I just picked up three VHS tapes with three episodes per tape of Yes, Prime Minister at Goodwill yesterday. (Also scored ALL the Fawlty Towers episodes and a dozen or so of Python.)

John
Old 11-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Resident octogenarian

Remember that show quite well.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I love that show! Nigel Hawthorn (The Madness of King George) is priceless.

It's funny this should come up just now. I just picked up three VHS tapes with three episodes per tape of Yes, Prime Minister at Goodwill yesterday. (Also scored ALL the Fawlty Towers episodes and a dozen or so of Python.)

John
That is a score indeed. (Or do we use "scroe" over here too? ). Many hours of great viewing there. I have owned all the episodes of Yes Minister and Prime Minister for years. Have all the books too. Yes, I am a fan.

BTW, whats a VHS tape?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
That is a score indeed. (Or do we use "scroe" over here too? ). Many hours of great viewing there. I have owned all the episodes of Yes Minister and Prime Minister for years. Have all the books too. Yes, I am a fan.

BTW, whats a VHS tape?
VHS was the "dominant format" for video tapes If you ever had or rented videos, that's what they were in all likelihood.

I have a couple hundred and continue to buy them. I have DVDs too, of course, but I have a nice LG machine that will play and record both formats. One day I may transfer the tapes to DVD......

John
Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
VHS was the "dominant format" for video tapes If you ever had or rented videos, that's what they were in all likelihood.

I have a couple hundred and continue to buy them. I have DVDs too, of course, but I have a nice LG machine that will play and record both formats. One day I may transfer the tapes to DVD......

John
I was just messing with you, John. Smartass doesn't always come across well in the online world.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I was just messing with you, John. Smartass doesn't always come across well in the online world.
I'm pretty smiley-dependent.

John
Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Resident octogenarian

I have two machines that play DVDs or VHS and can even record in VHS. They are both the same except one is badged Sony and one Samsung, but Samsung made both. Had one in the bedroom but when the local flicker and flash blew out two TVs the new flat panel one in the bedroom takes DVDs iin a player on the side.