Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
I never let politics upset my contrarian nature, but then, I'm a worse case scenario and contengency oriented planner.

Obama did worse in 2012 than he did in 2008. I'd also point out that the election was still close and the country remains poltically divided. Once people come to realize the way Obamacare is backloaded and the lackluster economic groth resulting from the policies of the Obama Administration, the proverbial tide will change. We can no longer afford democratic social policies, our current miltary expense, and the adminisstration's continued rhetorical war on business.
If that's true, then it seems to me that the GOP should work on a strategy that will succeed in getting their nominee elected. They aren't gonna do it by depending only on the support of corporate CEO's, old white people and NASCAR fans - not exactly a winning coalition, it seems.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Admin

Quote:
I never let politics upset my contrarian nature, but then, I'm a worse case scenario and contengency oriented planner.
I never figured you for a doomsday prepper, BH. I guess Obama winning re-election will do that to some folks?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
What he said.

And just because I just love to look at these words,

Carl
They've been irrelevant for a long time IMHO. Once a mecca of vibrant growth and innovation, I no longer see that happening in California. Look at where technology companies move once they flee restrictive California. The democrats have even managed to hinder agriculture in California. You, I and Bobabode fortunately live in nice places that still bring in outside dollars via the services industry, but most of the state lacks that advantage. Rural Central California is beginning to look like a third world country. You may denigrate the republicans; however, California's problems are a direct result of democrat policies.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I never figured you for a doomsday prepper, BH. I guess Obama winning re-election will do that to some folks?
Nope, it's not doomsday for me. I just make appropriate adjustments. Besides, I like to watch and could never hide in a hole.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
If that's true, then it seems to me that the GOP should work on a strategy that will succeed in getting their nominee elected. They aren't gonna do it by depending only on the support of corporate CEO's, old white people and NASCAR fans - not exactly a winning coalition, it seems.
I concur. IMHO the GOP's albatross is, somehat ironically, what most in the party point to as an asset, namely, the evangelicals and social conservatives. Placing emphasis on being anti-gay, anti-immigrant, anti-evolution, and spending just as rapaciously as the democrats is no way to get elected given the current demographic amalgam.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I concur. IMHO the GOP's albatross is, somehat ironically, what most in the party point to as an asset, namely, the evangelicals and social conservatives. Placing emphasis on being anti-gay, anti-immigrant, anti-evolution, and spending even more rapaciously than the democrats is no way to get elected given the current demographic amalgam.
Now we're in complete agreement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jude_Wa...a_Claus_Theory

John
Old 11-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I hate the spending. But it is impossible to stop.

And I've got a 5 year supply of peanut butter - just in case.

Pete
Old 11-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Resident octogenarian

Referring to Hispanics and Latinos as non-white sure as hell does not help them. Also referring to Asians as a block is also a non-starter. I have taught South Korean, Japanese and Chinese software engineers and they are about as alike as chalk and cheese.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-08-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The non-Mexican latinos I know get ticked off that everyone assumes they're Mexican.

Pete
Old 11-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
The non-Mexican latinos I know get ticked off that everyone assumes they're Mexican.

Pete
Around here, most Hispanics seem to be from Central and South America, not Mexico. FWIW, I've never seen a harder working bunch.