Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Miles Davis The Best of Miles Davis...on my Maggie tube amp in the garage....with new power supply caps...has not exploded...yet....through a pair of Pioneer CS-51s...sort of rare Japanese speakers 16 ohm 93db....they do need some tweaking but I guess this retro sound is how many first heard these songs in the 50s
Can't beat that tube sound. One thing to keep in mind is the resistors, they're 50 year old carbon comp and more than likely out of spec and affecting the sound. I've been told that expensive resistors are the shizzle but to my old and likely damaged hearing,(that's what I tell Patty, she counters that it's merely selective listening) I just went to Rat Shack for all of the common ones, 1/2 watt, and replaced them all. Magnavox used decent resistors but the technology used and the proclivity to absorb moisture from the atmosphere makes them terribly out of spec after 50+years. You have to lift one leg of the resister to check them with an ohmmeter, so I just snipped and replaced them all, one by one. Glad to hear you know + from - on those 'lytics, Robbin!
Old 12-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Admin

How To Become Clairvoyant-Robbie Robertson
Old 12-16-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Can't beat that tube sound. One thing to keep in mind is the resistors, they're 50 year old carbon comp and more than likely out of spec and affecting the sound. I've been told that expensive resistors are the shizzle but to my old and likely damaged hearing,(that's what I tell Patty, she counters that it's merely selective listening) I just went to Rat Shack for all of the common ones, 1/2 watt, and replaced them all. Magnavox used decent resistors but the technology used and the proclivity to absorb moisture from the atmosphere makes them terribly out of spec after 50+years. You have to lift one leg of the resister to check them with an ohmmeter, so I just snipped and replaced them all, one by one. Glad to hear you know + from - on those 'lytics, Robbin!
Thanks! I did pull out the old brown resistor that connected one set of of the can caps together...I measured it with an ohm meter on my dmm and it said 96.6k ohm so I knew I needed a 100k ohm reisistor. The brand spanking new one from Radio Shack read 98k with the DMM....so the old one was not very far off or is that a big enough difference? And did you have any really shiny caps (original stock) in the amp that are 20uf and 25 volt? They look chrome...did you replace those ?
Robbin
yes no loud explosions yet...the caps were Sailor proof with arrows going to negative lol. The neat thing about the Maggies is that the chassis have little nubs going up all over the place to make an easy ground....
Old 12-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Loyal Opposition

Forgive the pun, but in light of the conversation over the past couple of days, some Elvis Costello seemed appropriate - "My Aim is True"

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Thanks! I did pull out the old brown resistor that connected one set of of the can caps together...I measured it with an ohm meter on my dmm and it said 96.6k ohm so I knew I needed a 100k ohm reisistor. The brand spanking new one from Radio Shack read 98k with the DMM....so the old one was not very far off or is that a big enough difference? And did you have any really shiny caps (original stock) in the amp that are 20uf and 25 volt? They look chrome...did you replace those ?
Robbin
yes no loud explosions yet...the caps were Sailor proof with arrows going to negative lol. The neat thing about the Maggies is that the chassis have little nubs going up all over the place to make an easy ground....
Yep, mos' definitely. Resistors are usually five percent tolerance but the new carbon film are just better is how I understand it.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:24 PM

The Jam In The City
The Jam This Is The Modern World
Old 12-16-2012, 07:49 PM

KRSH 95.9 FM in Healdsburg, CA, one of the last real FM R&R stations left.

John
Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac mini View Post
So Much Trouble in the World - Bob Marley
Yeah! The Mystic Man has it right.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Forgive the pun, but in light of the conversation over the past couple of days, some Elvis Costello seemed appropriate - "My Aim is True"

Regards,

D-Ray
I like me some Elvis Costello. Maybe I'll go use that SoundStageDirect gift certificate that an AKer sent to me in the Secret Santa deal. That album has Allison on it too, IIRC? BTW I cheated and asked RayW what my victim would want. Atmosphere- When Life Give's You Lemons? Paint That Shit Gold! In yellow vinyl, no less! Whoops, cat's outta the bag DNewman! Hope you like it!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I like me some Elvis Costello. Maybe I'll go use that SoundStageDirect gift certificate that an AKer sent to me in the Secret Santa deal. That album has Allison on it too, IIRC? BTW I cheated and asked RayW what my victim would want. Atmosphere- When Life Give's You Lemons? Paint That Shit Gold! In yellow vinyl, no less! Whoops, cat's outta the bag DNewman! Hope you like it!
I have both the vinyl and the CD. The CD has rougher versions of some songs that show up on later albums. It is interesting to see the songwriting in progress. And Yup Allison is on it. That, of course, is the song that gives the album its title.

Regards,

D-Ray