Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Squeaky clear, or squeaky clean, or pure as the driven snow ain't got shit to do with it.

This is politics...just as fake as All Star Wrestling...and they fight a hell of a lot dirtier.

Al Franken came out today and said something to the effect that she is the most qualified appointee to the USSC in the last 100 yrs.

First time he ever made me laugh.

Chas
I am glad Al made you laugh but although the nominee is a political choice she is having her life long judicial record scrutinized by both sides. Roberts is not someone I supported but he got in because his life's judicial record was
pure as the driven snow.
The choice is politically driven, the confirmation although politically driven is based on fact with both sides able to question and reject.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:37 AM

And, at the end of the day, the vote will be split on party lines.

Chas
Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Resident octogenarian

Yep, the Republicans have finally found their voice - No!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
And, at the end of the day, the vote will be split on party lines.

Chas
I'll beat you a beer she gets more republican yes votes to democratic no votes. Just like Roberts did (in reverse).
If something comes out that will change but as of now there is nothing to cause the repubs to dispute her nomination, just like when the Dems had nothing real on Roberts..
Old 07-14-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I'll beat you a beer she gets more republican yes votes to democratic no votes. Just like Roberts did (in reverse).
If something comes out that will change but as of now there is nothing to cause the repubs to dispute her nomination, just like when the Dems had nothing real on Roberts..
I think you will be correct on the vote, but for different reasons.

The GOP is using the hearings to toss some red meat to their core, but will vote for her in an attempt as to not rile the Hispanics.

Chas
Old 07-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Resident octogenarian

It was interesting to watch her give Senator Sessions a lesson in how precedent works in our system of laws. I hope there are few senators as ignorant of how the system works.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 AM

Wonder what would happen if we tried to get the best LEGAL MINDS on the supreme court instead of worrying that left-handed Jewish Thai Eskimos w/a speech impediment are represented on the bench ?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Wonder what would happen if we tried to get the best LEGAL MINDS on the supreme court instead of worrying that left-handed Jewish Thai Eskimos w/a speech impediment are represented on the bench ?
I think we need the best legal minds while representing as many different groups as possible.
All young members of sociaty need to be able to identify with leaders and policy makers and not all can identify with an old white guy.
In fact many socioeconomic groups are very distrusting of old white guys. Excluding them from power will not change that, including them will.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Resident octogenarian

Is the Supreme Court even relevant today? It is so packed from time to time that the bias is obvious. And no, I don't believe any ivy league white male can represent my views worth a damn.

For example; the Constitition provides for a citizen's ability to "petition the government for redress" so that collection of twits decided this allows for lobbying. To begin, lobbyists sometimes represent foreign governments, hardly 'citizens'. Corporations have gone global, - citizens? Of what country?

Finally 'redress' is post facto, you may petition the government for something they have ALREADY DONE which you feel was unfair to you. It does not mean that Enron gets invited to the White House to write the new energy bill.

Allowing lobbying and lobbyists was the single most idiotic thing that SCOTUS ever came up with, all it has ever done is provide us with the best Congress money can buy.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:51 PM

Well, at least the bastards got the election right after Florida had it all screwed up.