Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:58 PM

Truman did the right thing by dropping the 2 A-bombs on Japan. He saved countless lives on both sides by doing so. And can you imagine how the American public would have felt once they found out the Truman had the means to end the war in Japan and continues with an invasion?

The Korean War was different. By then, the Soviets had atomic weapons, and there was a genuine fear that should we use them on Communist China, we may have drawn the Soviets into the conflict.

Now I don't know if Truman did the right thing, or the wrong thing, but he did do something. He did what he thought was best, and that's all you can ask from anyone.

Chas
Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 PM

its a common misconception that truman orderd the bombs droped on the japs and this couldnt be further from the truth. FDR didnt even think enough of truman to tell him about the bomb and the weapons were under milatary control. the weapons were to be used no matter what. the milatary simply kept the pres. informed as to the progress of the project. truman was either in potsdam or on his way home during the atack on hiroshima.

as to the soviets and chinese we droped those bombs on japan as a proof of our tech. and resolve to use such weapons in the future. niether cuontry had the capability to produce suficant weapons at the time of the korean war to pose any real threat to the us. the unending talk of invasion at the time stemed from milatary leaders who had no clue that the bomb even existed. and who may have felt that thier importance would have been surplanted by this new superweapon

Last edited by stereocuuple; 07-30-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereocuuple View Post
its a common misconception that truman orderd the bombs droped on the japs and this couldnt be further from the truth. FDR didnt even think enough of truman to tell him about the bomb and the weapons were under milatary control. the weapons were to be used no matter what. the milatary simply kept the pres. informed as to the progress of the project. truman was either in potsdam or on his way home during the atack on hiroshima.

as to the soviets and chinese we droped those bombs on japan as a proof of our tech. and resolve to use such weapons in the future. niether cuontry had the capability to produce suficant weapons at the time of the korean war to pose any real threat to the us. the unending talk of invasion at the time stemed from milatary leaders who had no clue that the bomb even existed. and who may have felt that thier importance would have been surplanted by this new superweapon
I do not know if Truman actually authorized the use of the bombs, but I would imagine that he would have at least been advised of their use in advance. I tend to agree that their use was, in part, to demonstrate to Stalin the we did possess the "Big Stick".

And I have no clue as to whether we followed the proper path in Korea. There will always be another war, it's the norm and not the exception. And thanks to your father for serving in Korea, I'm sure there are things he would have rather been doing.

Chas
Old 07-30-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I do not know if Truman actually authorized the use of the bombs, but I would imagine that he would have at least been advised of their use in advance. I tend to agree that their use was, in part, to demonstrate to Stalin the we did possess the "Big Stick".

And I have no clue as to whether we followed the proper path in Korea. There will always be another war, it's the norm and not the exception. And thanks to your father for serving in Korea, I'm sure there are things he would have rather been doing.

Chas
my father and all who served thank you and so do i

as for myself iv enjoyed this discussion very much and would like to recomend truman by david mccullough

thanks Eric
Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereocuuple View Post
my father and all who served thank you and so do i

as for myself iv enjoyed this discussion very much and would like to recomend truman by david mccullough

thanks Eric
I'll check into it.

Chas
Old 07-31-2009, 04:18 PM

Check out July 31st Cartoon in our local paper today: http://blogs.courant.com/bob_englehart/
Old 07-31-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajobu View Post
Check out July 31st Cartoon in our local paper today: http://blogs.courant.com/bob_englehart/
Good paper, they don't take sides.

Chas