Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-16-2022, 07:18 AM
Ready

National Security Strategy

Today's Letter form HCR focuses on the newly-released public US National Security Strategy. I find it gratifying, it seems wise and good.

Quote:
“The post-Cold War era is definitively over and a competition is underway between the major powers to shape what comes next,” the NSS says. “No nation is better positioned to succeed in this competition than the United States, as long as we work in common cause with those who share our vision of a world that is free, open, secure, and prosperous. This means that the foundational principles of self-determination, territorial integrity, and political independence must be respected, international institutions must be strengthened, countries must be free to determine their own foreign policy choices, information must be allowed to flow freely, universal human rights must be upheld, and the global economy must operate on a level playing field and provide opportunity for all.”
I don't see this as just the endorsement of 'motherhood and apple pie' that often shows up in public policy documents. These goals are not trivial or easy, but the administration appears to be thinking clearly about them, and acting accordingly--for example, by administering a sharp check to to China's contrary ambitions in the realm of technology strategy.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:31 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Today's Letter form HCR focuses on the newly-released public US National Security Strategy. I find it gratifying, it seems wise and good.

I don't see this as just the endorsement of 'motherhood and apple pie' that often shows up in public policy documents. These goals are not trivial or easy, but the administration appears to be thinking clearly about them, and acting accordingly--for example, by administering a sharp check to to China's contrary ambitions in the realm of technology strategy.
Too late!
The top universities sold the best seats to the Chinese.
Ethnic Chinese are significant in the US scientific and technological community.

BTW US ignored Africa, whilst the Chinese went in and built from the ground up. As a matter of fact they sent some of their excess people/production to Africa.

Latin America: The Chinese are integrated in its development.

They are ubiquitous in the Stan's and now Russia is heavily dependent on them.
Old 10-16-2022, 03:24 PM

No doubt this century will be China's. They play the long game thinking hundred years to the future. Where we are lucky to have year or two. With the election cycles never ending and divided do nothing get nothing done government.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
No doubt this century will be China's. They play the long game thinking hundred years to the future. Where we are lucky to have year or two. With the election cycles never ending and divided do nothing get nothing done government.
Countries like China that are run by Authoritarian regimes are far from ideal environments for fostering scientific advancement.

I'll put my money on the US becoming even more dominant in the next hundred years.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
Countries like China that are run by Authoritarian regimes are far from ideal environments for fostering scientific advancement.

I'll put my money on the US becoming even more dominant in the next hundred years.

We might be the ones doing the R&D work for sure. For awhile..
When the tire hits the road it will be countries like China that will make good use of it.

Look at their space program. Crammed full of US tech spirited away from these shores. Then solar panels, aviation the list is long of the advancements borrowed from the US.
The Chinese are playing a smarter game.
Especially when considering we have people willing to sell out this country for the profits. Moving companies manufacturing to China and techniques willing.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:11 AM
Jigsawed

https://bloomberg.com/news/newslette...onomy-saturday

America's chip war with China may already be lost.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
https://bloomberg.com/news/newslette...onomy-saturday

America's chip war with China may already be lost.

For the Greatest Country in the world.
We are pretty stupid.
Old 10-25-2022, 11:36 PM

I'm not buying the doom & gloom. The future of the US semiconductor industry, both research & manufacturing, looks pretty bright.

https://www.eastasiaforum.org/2021/0...ctor-tech-war/

https://www.semiconductors.org/winthefuture/