Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

There is so much state specific it's difficult to address one area.

We in the rust belt states have tended to over regulate as well.

That said I agree, there's talking about how raising taxes would be good but bottom line both parties end up cutting them for growth.

Btw, ny city has been pretty aggressivve in tax breaks, and the business has mostly stayed.

Pete
Old 08-21-2012, 01:04 PM

Republican and Democrat stereotypes aside, it is still bad practice for a city to lower their community standards in order to attract business. The unavoidable problem is that once someone does it then others have to do it to compete. That's when the dominoes start to fall.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
There is so much state specific it's difficult to address one area.

We in the rust belt states have tended to over regulate as well.

That said I agree, there's talking about how raising taxes would be good but bottom line both parties end up cutting them for growth.

Btw, ny city has been pretty aggressivve in tax breaks, and the business has mostly stayed.

Pete
I'm guessing they stayed, Pete, because it was NYC.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

LOL!

ebacon, we could enforce uniform standard countrywide. Then they would just move offshore.

Pete
Old 08-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Loyal Opposition

The governor of Kansas and the Republican legislature have passed a tax plan that makes almost all business income exempt from taxation, but leaves the taxes on wages in place. It takes a huge chunk out of the state budget. The theory is that the lost tax revenue will be made up when the low taxes induce enough businesses to relocate to Kansas. The tax cut comes at a time when the state is already struggling to meet its obligations, and it will result in drastic cuts in among other things, education. As far as I am concerned, that is counter-productive, at least here in Johnson County. One way JC has been able to compete for businesses is by having a top-flight public school system. The cuts put that advantage at risk.

Beyond the practical objection to the plan, it seems to me to be extremely unbalanced against the working folks. Wages earners will now carry a significantly higher burden of funding the state's obligation, while the "job creators" get a free ride. I suppose we will see if the plan actually works or not, because the primaries put more tea party types into the general election (removing the more moderate republicans), so it is likely that the plan will remain in place.

BTW, Whell, I should mention that I appreciate the effort at maintaining the tone of this thread (particularly after I gave you a little poke in the welcome thread ).

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-21-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
LOL!

ebacon, we could enforce uniform standard countrywide. Then they would just move offshore.

Pete
Don't be a dick. I'm just saying that there are known causes and effects.

One of the biggest games politicians play after they make a big mess is shrug and say well, no one could predict such an outcome. That's bullshit. History has repeated itself so many times that's it not even funny to hear the excuse any more.

Sarcasm like yours lets the sh*tsticks get away with it.

Last edited by ebacon; 08-21-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Resident octogenarian

Starting with the Lewis Powell memo to the Chamber of Commerce corporations have gradually taken over the government. Oh there are still a handfull of Congressmen and Senators who are not for sale. Given this sstate of affairs it seems rather pointless to say the government is anti business when it is business.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Republican and Democrat stereotypes aside, it is still bad practice for a city to lower their community standards in order to attract business. The unavoidable problem is that once someone does it then others have to do it to compete. That's when the dominoes start to fall.
At least here in MI the practice has been "managed" to a great extent. A community must petition the state legislature to creat the zone, and if approved, favorable tax treatment is bestowed by local and state government. A zone is only created if it is deemed in the best intetest of many stakeholders, public and private. In this manner, the issue you've cited is not avoided, but reduced or controlled.

However, I'm still wondering why an "across the board" reduction in taxes - yes, for business and capital gains taxes - would or would not have a similar positive impact.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Don't be a dick. I'm just saying that there are known causes and effects.

One of the biggest games politicians play after they make a big mess is shrug and say well, no one could predict such an outcome. That's bullshit. History has repeated itself so many times that's it not even funny to hear the excuse any more.

Sarcasm like yours lets the sh*tsticks get away with it.
With a name like mine what do you expect?

Btw, I'm dead serious, no sarcasm. There is only so much tax percentage sustainable.

Peter
Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
The governor of Kansas and the Republican legislature have passed a tax plan that makes almost all business income exempt from taxation, but leaves the taxes on wages in place. It takes a huge chunk out of the state budget. The theory is that the lost tax revenue will be made up when the low taxes induce enough businesses to relocate to Kansas. The tax cut comes at a time when the state is already struggling to meet its obligations, and it will result in drastic cuts in among other things, education. As far as I am concerned, that is counter-productive, at least here in Johnson County. One way JC has been able to compete for businesses is by having a top-flight public school system. The cuts put that advantage at risk.

Beyond the practical objection to the plan, it seems to me to be extremely unbalanced against the working folks. Wages earners will now carry a significantly higher burden of funding the state's obligation, while the "job creators" get a free ride. I suppose we will see if the plan actually works or not, because the primaries put more tea party types into the general election (removing the more moderate republicans), so it is likely that the plan will remain in place.

BTW, Whell, I should mention that I appreciate the effort at maintaining the tone of this thread (particularly after I gave you a little poke in the welcome thread ).

Regards,

D-Ray
Beyond the philosophical objections, what have been the results of the legislation?

Yes, I saw that poke. I was honored.