Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
We are right at $4 with ethanol. I can't even find a local station without it.
Don't worry about the ethanol. The ill effects are hyped.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Don't worry about the ethanol. The ill effects are hyped.
Except on lawn equi[ment, I have had to replace gas lines in my tractor, weed whacker, and leaf blower. The alcohol simply rots the plastics that were used pre ethanol. Cars pre ethanol suffered as well, gas mileage on the 89 Probe I had went to hell. It does not bother the 2000 Impalas though.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Except on lawn equi[ment, I have had to replace gas lines in my tractor, weed whacker, and leaf blower. The alcohol simply rots the plastics that were used pre ethanol. Cars pre ethanol suffered as well, gas mileage on the 89 Probe I had went to hell. It does not bother the 2000 Impalas though.
It is fun working on any carbureted automobile after they give problems do to ethanol. Dunno why everyone says it doesn't effect automobiles, I guess those who say that are all driving fuel injected cars/trucks and have no idea what it does to carbureted vehicles that cannot agitate & purge the fuel system before the engine starts. The ethanol seperates and settles to the bottom of the tank and anything with a carburetor will use that fuel first. Fuel injection primes itself and has a return that constantly circulates fuel in the tank so that doesn't happen. Tractors, riding mowers, four wheelers, dirtbikes, and older cars/truck that have a carburetor all suck that 10% alcohol off the bottom of the tank first, and it causes fuel system damage.

Anyone that doesn't believe it, just get a CLEAR gallon jug and fill it with ethanol blend fuel. Set it out overnight and the next day have a close look. The bottom 2'' of the jug will have clear fuel under the regular color gas. Shake it up and it is all one color again.

I drive far out of my way to buy ethanol free gas.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Area Man

Could be. Both of my vehiles are fuel injected. The oldest of the two being a '97. Still, I haven't experienced any issues with my powered lawn implements. Mower, weedwhacker, chainsaw, generator, etc........

Maybe I've just been lucky?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
It is fun working on any carbureted automobile after they give problems do to ethanol. Dunno why everyone says it doesn't effect automobiles, I guess those who say that are all driving fuel injected cars/trucks and have no idea what it does to carbureted vehicles that cannot agitate & purge the fuel system before the engine starts. The ethanol seperates and settles to the bottom of the tank and anything with a carburetor will use that fuel first. Fuel injection primes itself and has a return that constantly circulates fuel in the tank so that doesn't happen. Tractors, riding mowers, four wheelers, dirtbikes, and older cars/truck that have a carburetor all suck that 10% alcohol off the bottom of the tank first, and it causes fuel system damage.

Anyone that doesn't believe it, just get a CLEAR gallon jug and fill it with ethanol blend fuel. Set it out overnight and the next day have a close look. The bottom 2'' of the jug will have clear fuel under the regular color gas. Shake it up and it is all one color again.

I drive far out of my way to buy ethanol free gas.
Had to replace the gaskets on my 90 hp Johnson after it turned them to mush. The replacement gaskets are made of a different material, and so far haven't given me any problems.

It also absorbs moisture, a real problem when your boat is docked overnight. I also put in a 10 micron fuel/water separator, it seemed to be the prudent thing to do.

By and large, marinas sell straight gasoline. And I think they'll throw you in jail if they catch you putting it in an airplane.

I'm like Rob, I've had it eat the fuel lines off of one of my chainsaws, my weed whacker, and my old Dodge PU. Went through $60 worth of gas in the pickup going 1.5 miles, lucky the damned thing didn't catch on fire.

And my leaf blower is currently dripping gas, probably time to tear it down and see what has turned to mush.

Tears the shit out of older machinery, doesn't get as good as mileage, and would actually be more expensive than gasoline if it weren't for government subsidizes...or so I've read.

I'm still looking for the upside.

Chas
Old 04-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'm still looking for the upside.

Chas
Other than the fact it buys votes in Iowa, none.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Other than the fact it buys votes in Iowa, none.
Wish I could find the "Big Corn" cartoon, which showed a fat farmer with a towel on his head, surveying his crops.

Chas
Old 04-29-2012, 03:00 AM

Cheap Place Self-Service: $4.20.
Full Service Downtown La Jolla: $5.99.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Resident octogenarian

Why ethanol? Because it keep getting Grassley re-elected.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Cheap Place Self-Service: $4.20.
Full Service Downtown La Jolla: $5.99.
Damn.

I think we're currently at 3.49, but it may have dropped a little more. I don't really watch that close, as I either have to buy it or try walking to work with a ton of equipment on my back.

I've yet to drop a C note filling up one of my trucks, I think 98 & change is my current record.

Chas