Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:00 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
"Foundation, the weighted average pre-subsidy price of a silver plan on the exchanges only increased by 3.6% from 2015 to 2016, which certainly seems good. But one way the ACA keeps premiums reasonable is by pushing people into plans with high levels of cost sharing. The average silver plan has a combined annual deductible (including prescriptions) of more than $3,000; the deductible for an average bronze plan is close to $6,000. In other words, one reason that insurance premiums are affordable is that those premiums don't buy you what they used to, as insurers shift more and more health care costs onto their customers."

So what you have are folks shelling out $10,000 a year for very mediocre health care. One well visit once a year and if you're lucky a blood workup. After shelling out for that insurance premium who can afford to pay the doctor visit and all the deductibles on top of it.

And you pay it year in and year out. In 10 years you've shoved the equivalent of your entire retirement savings into health insurance...with what to show for it? Nothing. If you have a major medical issue, you might come out even. Otherwise you're just throwing money hand over fist to the insurance companies, and you are punished by law if you do not.

Isn't this a great country?
I will say this about Medicare + CareFirst during Florence's ordeal I ended up paying just over $1000 for Lovnox anti coagulant and long after her cremation $250 to a bunch of HCGH doctors that was left from $1400 the insurance had covered. I guess they had probably poked their noses into her room and said Hello one day.

The bills had I not had insurance were well in excess of a quarter million.

Yeah it probably is a great country if you are very rich.

Last edited by merrylander; 05-15-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:28 AM
Persona non grata

My income is about 3.2 times the poverty level.

According to the way Obamacare was advertised, anyone with an income of less than 4 times poverty would pay a maximum of 9% of income for Health Insurance. However there are more loopholes and exceptions than you can shake a stick at, so I'm paying 22%.

So Fuck Obummercare.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:17 AM
Admin

'Supreme Court upholds Obamacare again, rejecting GOP challenge from Texas'
LA Times

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...nge-from-texas

7-2 ruling turns back yet another challenge.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:16 PM
Admin

Necro-post warning...

North Cackalacky aka North Carolina buys in to the Medicaid expansion. That leaves 10 idjit states still killing their poor.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...can-opposition
Old 03-23-2023, 02:46 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Necro-post warning...

North Cackalacky aka North Carolina buys in to the Medicaid expansion. That leaves 10 idjit states still killing their poor.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...can-opposition
Killing their poor to own the libs. Ahh, freedumb.
Old 03-25-2023, 05:41 PM

I've been reading about the single payer system California has been trying to pass for the state. It has had a rough start for a couple of tries now, but, is gaining momentum. I hope it makes it through sooner or later.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:13 PM
Ready

Well, it's only going to be all the for-profits sector of health care, and all the insurance companies, the GQP, and assorted other capitalists and pirates against it. It should pass any minute I expect. (Fingers crossed.)

And Hello Barbara! Good to hear from you! Hope all is very well in your world.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:44 AM

Hi, donquixote99.......good to be back. Hope all is well in your world too.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:09 AM

'Live free and die'? The sad state of U.S. life expectancy
Life expectancy around the world decreased in 2020 due to COVID-19. Most peer countries rebounded by 2021, while the U.S. continued to decline.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ife-expectancy

Quote:
"Two years difference in life expectancy probably comes from the fact that firearms are so available in the United States," Crimmins says. "There's the opioid epidemic, which is clearly ours – that was our drug companies and other countries didn't have that because those drugs were more controlled. Some of the difference comes from the fact that we are more likely to drive more miles. We have more cars," and ultimately, more fatal crashes.
Guns, and Repubes restricting access to affordable healthcare. It's quite simple to solve - get rid of Repubes. Vote them out. But people are ignorant, just the way Repubes want them.