Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:24 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
The assumption of the constitution writers was that truth will defeat lies in the marketplace of ideas. Is everyone confident that there is still enough truth to that idea, in the current new media environment?
I'm thinking this is your assumption, not theirs.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
The assumption of the constitution writers was that truth will defeat lies in the marketplace of ideas. Is everyone confident that there is still enough truth to that idea, in the current new media environment?
Pretty safe assumption they never envisioned that a cartoon character, reality show, know nothing buffoon would fool enough voters with his over the top rhetoric to win the presidency.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:17 PM

Sure will be interesting if these FB accounts lead back to the Trump campaign. Manafort knows a whole lot of Russians...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...ccounts-2017-9
Old 09-16-2017, 07:15 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Pretty safe assumption they never envisioned that a cartoon character, reality show, know nothing buffoon would fool enough voters with his over the top rhetoric to win the presidency.
No, they say something like that as all too possible, and put in the Electoral College as a final defense against such. But it was long ago reduced to a toothless tool of the major parties, and didn't work.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Needs his opposition to provide context.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Hillary in USA Today interview:

"There certainly was communication and there certainly was an understanding of some sort," Clinton said in the interview. "Because there's no doubt in my mind that (Russian President Vladimir) Putin wanted me to lose and wanted Trump to win. And there's no doubt in my mind that there are a tangle of financial relationships between Trump and his operation with Russian money. And there's no doubt in my mind that the Trump campaign and other associates have worked really hard to hide their connections with Russians."
I wonder if there is any mention of uranium.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Admin

'With a Picked Lock and a Threatened Indictment, Mueller’s Inquiry Sets a Tone'

"WASHINGTON — Paul J. Manafort was in bed early one morning in July when federal agents bearing a search warrant picked the lock on his front door and raided his Virginia home. They took binders stuffed with documents and copied his computer files, looking for evidence that Mr. Manafort, President Trump’s former campaign chairman, set up secret offshore bank accounts. They even photographed the expensive suits in his closet.
The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, then followed the house search with a warning: His prosecutors told Mr. Manafort they planned to indict him, said two people close to the investigation.
The moves against Mr. Manafort are just a glimpse of the aggressive tactics used by Mr. Mueller and his team of prosecutors in the four months since taking over the Justice Department’s investigation into Russia’s attempts to disrupt last year’s election, according to lawyers, witnesses and American officials who have described the approach. Dispensing with the plodding pace typical of many white-collar investigations, Mr. Mueller’s team has used what some describe as shock-and-awe tactics to intimidate witnesses and potential targets of the inquiry.
Mr. Mueller has obtained a flurry of subpoenas to compel witnesses to testify before a grand jury, lawyers and witnesses say, sometimes before his prosecutors have taken the customary first step of interviewing them. One witness was called before the grand jury less than a month after his name surfaced in news accounts. The special counsel even took the unusual step of obtaining a subpoena for one of Mr. Manafort’s former lawyers, claiming an exception to the rule that shields attorney-client discussions from scrutiny." NYTimes

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/u...tion.html?_r=0

You can almost hear Mr. Mueller's heavy and remorseless footfalls chasing this nest of traitors inhabiting the White House.
'Tis music to my ears.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:01 PM
Admin

'Exclusive: US government wiretapped former Trump campaign chairman'

"Washington (CNN)US investigators wiretapped former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort under secret court orders before and after the election, sources tell CNN, an extraordinary step involving a high-ranking campaign official now at the center of the Russia meddling probe.

The government snooping continued into early this year, including a period when Manafort was known to talk to President Donald Trump.

Some of the intelligence collected includes communications that sparked concerns among investigators that Manafort had encouraged the Russians to help with the campaign, according to three sources familiar with the investigation. Two of these sources, however, cautioned that the evidence is not conclusive.

Special counsel Robert Mueller's team, which is leading the investigation into Russia's involvement in the election, has been provided details of these communications.

A secret order authorized by the court that handles the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) began after Manafort became the subject of an FBI investigation that began in 2014. It centered on work done by a group of Washington consulting firms for Ukraine's former ruling party, the sources told CNN."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/18/politi...ans/index.html

Trump will be flapping his gums in a tweet storm momentarily. (grin)
Old 09-18-2017, 07:12 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
You can almost hear Mr. Mueller's heavy and remorseless footfalls chasing this nest of traitors inhabiting the White House.
'Tis music to my ears.
“They seem to be pursuing this more aggressively, taking a much harder line, than you’d expect to see in a typical white collar case,” said Jimmy Gurulé, a Notre Dame law professor and former federal prosecutor. “This is more consistent with how you’d go after an organized crime syndicate.”

If the shoe fits, ...
Old 09-18-2017, 07:16 PM

And it's only $14.99, one size fits all and has earned 4.7 Google stars.