Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
View Poll Results: Would you vote for Sarah for President?
I am fine with a Presidential candidate continually acting like this 5 41.67%
Her actions make it clear that she is "flaky." 7 58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
[B]

Why is that Chas?

Do you really want to vote for someone to lead you that conjures up the "innocent child" protectorate feeling in you?

And why the gun reference? I just don't understand the machismo factor in gun ownership.
Simply a figure of speech, Noon.

Us stoopid hillbillies down here in Bugtussell still greet old friends by looking them up and down, smiling, and saying "The things you see when you ain't got a gun!"

But everybody's got a gun, and threatening to shoot one another is always good for a laugh, so long as everybody's smiling.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Chas
Old 12-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Simply a figure of speech, Noon.

in Bugtussell still greet old friends by looking them up and down, smiling, and saying "The things you see when you ain't got a gun!"

But everybody's got a gun, and threatening to shoot one another is always good for a laugh, so long as everybody's smiling.

Yes it is truly a different culture. Not better nor worse than any other, just different.

Of course I know many of the, "my way is the *right* way" posters here will not agree.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Area Man

Having spent the first 18 years of my life in Ohio, a few in California, and the rest here in the Virginia Swamp, I can tell you the cultures vary widely in this country. Ohio is a blue state, but in a "blue collar union man" sort of way, socially conservative but economically liberal. California, well.....it's hard to find the words. When I lived there the Californians themselves called it "The Land of Fruits and Nuts". Virginia, at least the part I live in, is very conservative. Out in the western part, coal country, it's a little different (Democratic) but not by much. It was a culture shock going from Ohio to Cali. But from Cali to Virginia was like moving to another planet.

I'd say none of them are really a "bad place to live", just different. Really don't think there are many "bad places" here in the 'states. Well, 'cept maybe Detroit? And certain parts of Atlanta, and Philly. Oh and if you ever have a layover in Newark-----don't leave the airport. Memphis is great.....Uh.....for the love of God don't wander off of Beale Street.

On second thought---there are some pretty damn bad places here in the 'states.

Dave
Old 12-19-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Having spent the first 18 years of my life in Ohio, a few in California, and the rest here in the Virginia Swamp, I can tell you the cultures vary widely in this country. Ohio is a blue state, but in a "blue collar union man" sort of way, socially conservative but economically liberal. California, well.....it's hard to find the words. When I lived there the Californians themselves called it "The Land of Fruits and Nuts". Virginia, at least the part I live in, is very conservative. Out in the western part, coal country, it's a little different (Democratic) but not by much. It was a culture shock going from Ohio to Cali. But from Cali to Virginia was like moving to another planet.

I'd say none of them are really a "bad place to live", just different. Really don't think there are many "bad places" here in the 'states. Well, 'cept maybe Detroit? And certain parts of Atlanta, and Philly. Oh and if you ever have a layover in Newark-----don't leave the airport. Memphis is great.....Uh.....for the love of God don't wander off of Beale Street.

On second thought---there are some pretty damn bad places here in the 'states.

Dave
Well, I've lived here in Bugtussell (Moniteau County, Missouri), Denver, Breckenridge, CO, Tulsie Town, OK (Gawd, they got some impressive tornado's there), Rio Grande Valley, Houston (buddy of mine, Vietnam vet said he had more nightmares about Houston than Vietnam), both sides of Austin, and.....

Bugtussell ain't so bad. You don't make big money, but it doesn't take big money to live here either. And you can still sneak around on gravel roads shooting the shit and drinking a beer on a Saturday afternoon without going to the penitentiary.

Ain't like it was when I was a kid and used to ride my bicycle down the sidewalk on Main Street with a pump shotgun tied to it, and stop at the hardware store and buy ammo, but those days are over. Hell, we used to take REAL guns to school if we had a reason, and no one gave it a second thought.

And I intend to dwell in the past as long as I can. Sadly, modern society is dragging me into THEIR world by the heels.

And I don't much like it.

Chas

PS: I was looking at some stuff about Detroit, the skyscrapers being borded up and such. My God, I can hardly imagine how bad it is up there. Those poor people.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:28 AM
Abby Normal

Back to the thread for a moment, it does surprise me how many people make every excuse in the book for this bimbo.

What troubles me the most about this is Chas's post. He clearly seems to feel protectorate of her. OK in and of itself but is this how a world leader should be perceived?
To me it's just plain scary.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Resident octogenarian

Where I grew up in Quebec we lived in a small town about 25 miles from Montreal, quiet, lots of woods to roam and hunt in. Pleasant life until the troubles in 69, 70. My job transferred me to Ottawa in Ontario in 1970, there the government was called the Big Blue Machine - now in Canada the colors are opposite to here, blue is conservative, red is liberal. Got to know my local MP well and joined the conservative party. Suburban life, no nearby woods.

Moved here in 1984 and at first lived in Columbia MD worked in NoVa, now they are somewhere right of me. Eventually bought the land here and built, have woods and about an acre of them are ours. Far enough away from my neighbors that I don't hear them. Country boy at heart and back in the country, suburban life sucks.

Back to the topic noon, you worry about that trailer trash too much
Old 12-20-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Back to the thread for a moment, it does surprise me how many people make every excuse in the book for this bimbo.

What troubles me the most about this is Chas's post. He clearly seems to feel protectorate of her. OK in and of itself but is this how a world leader should be perceived?
To me it's just plain scary.
What, you find me sticking up for my girlfriend scary?

Boo!!!!!!

I suppose she's in the public eye by choice, and therefore has to take the good with the bad.

But I do tend to feel sorry for not only her, but for anyone who is hounded by the press and the paparazzi. Especially when they're just trying to take the day off.

And I do mean everyone, not just my little sweetheart.

By the way Noon, don't mistake my whisperings of sweet nothings as an indication of my blind devotion to my tender young lass from the Arctic. I haven't bought her book, nor do I intend to.

I just don't hate her guts like you do. And I can't resist pulling your string on occasion.

But enough of this, let's deal with an issue of consequence. Is it too early to pop a top?

Chas
Old 12-20-2009, 10:41 AM

She may turn up somewhere in the future but I doubt President. She may be
a closet liberal.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
But enough of this, let's deal with an issue of consequence. Is it too early to pop a top?

Chas
Nope, just opened a Sam Adams after snow blowing 150' of driveway.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:

Chas
Hell no.

BTW merrylander is right, I dwell on her way to much and I know it but she is everything I either disagree with, dislike or despise.
Selfish, attention seeking, negligent/absentee mom, right wing and an ignorant moron. Not to mention hypocritical. So when people insinuate she is in any way shape or form something to admire or look up to I get all weird.

If I had your big heart Chas I would feel sorry and protectorate of her poor kids not her.