Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Is the Nebraska Public Service Commission an elected body or appointed by the Governor?

I remember a 60 Minute piece about a city near Cleveland (Lakewood?) that was trying to eminent domain a bunch of gorgeous Victorian or early 19th Century homes on the lakefront.....not because they were decrepit but because the developers who wanted to demolish them for newer homes would give the city more money in taxes.

Eminent Domain is a tricky issue the extremes at each end can be damaging to the public good.
Their was a very important court case involving New London, CT using eminent domain to take land from one private owner and give it to another in order to spur economic development. The SCOTUS sided with the city.

"The case arose in the context of condemnation by the city of New London, Connecticut, of privately owned real property, so that it could be used as part of a “comprehensive redevelopment plan.” However, the private developer was unable to obtain financing and abandoned the redevelopment project, leaving the land as an empty lot, which was eventually turned into a temporary dump."
Old 03-20-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Their was a very important court case involving New London, CT using eminent domain to take land from one private owner and give it to another in order to spur economic development. The SCOTUS sided with the city.

"The case arose in the context of condemnation by the city of New London, Connecticut, of privately owned real property, so that it could be used as part of a “comprehensive redevelopment plan.” However, the private developer was unable to obtain financing and abandoned the redevelopment project, leaving the land as an empty lot, which was eventually turned into a temporary dump."
a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it....just imagine all the money down the drain just in legal fees
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 PM
Banned

Florida has had a lot of activity. - http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcedel...occer-stadium/
Old 03-20-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...raska/5616213/

Primarily, I am more concerned about the eminent domain aspect of this and secondarily any potential environmental impact. I oppose the idea of handing the "...right to acquire..." property owned by private citizens to corporate entities.

I know, the politicians involved would likely approve the exercise of eminent domain anyways. But, as a matter of principle, such important decisions as forcing the sale of land owned by American citizens, should at the very least be decided by democratically elected officials. Not corporate oligarchs acting of their own volition.

Dave
I'm late to the thread but this is the type of issue that keeps me awake at night thinking about pros and cons of various forms of governments.

From a practical perspective I care not where gas comes from or flows through. I simply want to wake up every day and accomplish a few tasks to help my neighbors. Maybe take out some weeds, sweep a street, pick up a kid, etc.

If I have no say in the laws that let that happen then I would probably stay calm.

Money is where my thoughts get bound up. In Europe the citizens live with castles and such that, by modern rules, were built by slaves. Yet today they love their beauty and maintaining those structures. Maybe it is because they live with them every day and are anchors in their psyche. They seem to fight less about money.

A pipeline would lead to a different history. I can't imagine people weed whipping around a pipeline for 500 years and end up thanking the people at each end of it.

I dunno. Time for some country music.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I use oil every day.

I'm sure some people were upset about and some people made mad money off trains, but I'm sure glad they built them.

Pete
Old 03-21-2014, 12:56 PM
Admin

Damned old Fords leak oil all over the place, don't they?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

LOL!

Pete
Old 03-21-2014, 02:45 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
That's a convenience feature, they change their own oil.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
That's Chevy rear main seals because they were 2 piece.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 PM

Back during the early 90's the state decided to turn a low traffic two lane into a near thirty mile 4 lane. Houses and businesses got torn down, but they left the road less than half done. Some were on the news last year I believe saying they still were waiting on their money for property the state just had to have for a project they gave up on. Today, I drove from Watertown to Smithville on this hwy and only met three cars in like 20 miles. We needed the patially finished hwy real BAD, didn't we? But hey.. the state has this property if they ever decide to use it.

Last edited by hillbilly; 03-21-2014 at 10:49 PM.