Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Persona non grata

Republican leaders to block US immigration measure

So according to Republicans undocumented immigrants are good enough to serve in the Military, but not good enough to become citizens.

http://news.yahoo.com/republican-lea...201549527.html

Associated Press
By ERICA WERNER and DONNA CASSATA 3 hours ago

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — House Republican leaders intervened Friday to prevent a vote on U.S. immigration legislation, dealing a severe blow to election-year efforts to overhaul the widely denigrated system.

The move came after a Republican congressman announced plans to try to force a vote next week, over strong conservative opposition, on his measure creating a path to citizenship for immigrants who live here illegally yet serve in the military.

Rep. Jeff Denham labeled his bill the ENLIST Act and said he would seek a vote as an amendment to the popular annual defense bill, the National Defense Authorization Act, or NDAA.
continue
Old 05-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
So according to Republicans undocumented immigrants are good enough to serve in the Military, but not good enough to become citizens.
It's not a repub thing and serving the county has been a fast track to citizenship for a very long time.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post

http://news.yahoo.com/republican-lea...201549527.html

Associated Press
By ERICA WERNER and DONNA CASSATA 3 hours ago

continue
It's the 'Suicide Caucus' at it's finest. I guess none of these a$$holish 'pubbies read the 'Republican Autopsy' published by the RNC after they lost the '12 elections so badly.

'14 is looking better and better for the Dems with every self inflicted wound that the far right visits on the GOP.

Shit, Senator Mark Pryor is up by double digits. Whatever his campaign is doing ought to be a blueprint for any Dem in a competitive state.

Last edited by bobabode; 05-16-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
It's not a repub thing and serving the county has been a fast track to citizenship for a very long time.
http://triblive.com/business/headlin...#axzz31vS1mhbz

Quote:
The move occurred when a Republican congressman from California announced plans to try to force a vote next week, over strong conservative opposition, on his measure establishing a path to citizenship for immigrants who were brought illegally to the United States as children and serve in the military.

Rep. Jeff Denham labeled his bill the ENLIST Act and said he would seek a vote as an amendment to the popular annual defense bill, the National Defense Authorization Act.

In response, Doug Heye, spokesman for House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., said: “No proposed ENLIST amendments to NDAA will be made in order.”

Heye said no stand-alone vote on the measure would be permitted.
Quote:
In recent weeks prominent conservative groups, including the Heritage Foundation, announced their opposition. Heritage Action, the group's political arm, announced it would include the vote in its ratings on lawmakers and called Denham's legislation “deplorable.”
Old 05-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Banned

Tom this appears to be what he is trying to change.

Military participation is often a way for immigrant residents to become citizens. Since many people seek citizenship for its financial and social benefits, the promise of citizenship can be seen as a means of motivating persons to do dangerous activities such as fight in wars. For example, a 2009 article in the New York Times said that the United States Military was recruiting "skilled immigrants who are living in this country with temporary visas" by promising an opportunity to become citizens "in as little as six months" in exchange for service in Afghanistan and Iraq where US forces are "stretched thin."[47] The option was not open to illegal immigrants.[47] One estimate was that in 2009 the US military had 29,000 foreign-born people currently serving who were not American citizens.[47] Spouses of citizens or non-citizens who served in the military also have less difficulty becoming citizens.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen..._United_States
Old 05-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Admin

You really are dense Dan. The 'pubbie leadership and their paymasters at Heritage Action are trying to kill this avenue to citizenship.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
You really are dense Dan. The 'pubbie leadership and their paymasters at Heritage Action are trying to kill this avenue to citizenship.
Anyone who think US citizenship should be free without effort are the ones with the Dunce hat.

I do feel for the kids that got caught in this mess their parents created. But and thats the big one. No Amnesty.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Ready

deleted by author
Old 05-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
Tom this appears to be what he is trying to change.

Military participation is often a way for immigrant residents to become citizens. Since many people seek citizenship for its financial and social benefits, the promise of citizenship can be seen as a means of motivating persons to do dangerous activities such as fight in wars. For example, a 2009 article in the New York Times said that the United States Military was recruiting "skilled immigrants who are living in this country with temporary visas" by promising an opportunity to become citizens "in as little as six months" in exchange for service in Afghanistan and Iraq where US forces are "stretched thin."[47] The option was not open to illegal immigrants.[47] One estimate was that in 2009 the US military had 29,000 foreign-born people currently serving who were not American citizens.[47] Spouses of citizens or non-citizens who served in the military also have less difficulty becoming citizens.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen..._United_States
Quote:
Denham's bill would allow immigrants who were brought to this country on or before Dec. 31, 2011, and were younger than 15 years old to become legal, permanent residents — the first step toward citizenship — through honorable service in the military.
Answer me this. What is it about Denham's proposed Bill that your buddies at the Heritage foundation find to be "deplorable"?
Old 05-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Admin

I expect that you wore that dunce cap on many occasions before you dropped out. It shows.

As to your other bullshyte claim? Show me where the Dems or anyone else has a plan to offer citizenship free of effort. I'll save you the time, it's all unsubstantiated bull pucky that you heard directly from Rush Limburger, Hannity or at Infowars. Try again smartass.