Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Of course I do. You can't live and buy only union.

But a car is the second largest purchase most make and the obvious one to support unions with your own money.

Pete
Old 01-23-2014, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Of course I do. You can't live and buy only union.

But a car is the second largest purchase most make and the obvious one to support unions with your own money.

Pete
More obvious to you and all your UAW friends, maybe. Not necessarily any more obvious to anybody else. Reckon you take the same position regarding non-union shop construction outfits? It is, after all, the first largest purchase most make.

But I am pleased to see you expressing some realistic boundaries regarding unions which was a problem at my prior political forum affiliation where on the one hand it was pretty much lockstep unionistas bleating their heroic union ideology all day long, and on the other hand the "unions are the anti-christ" right wingers.

So I am pleasantly surprised to see one with the rightist leanings you have, supporting unions at all. I suspect you are in line for some of the same sort of aggravation from your ideologue conservative brethren on this subject as I am from my ideologue liberal brethren regarding the State of Israel.

Or maybe not, eh?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I like quite a few imports, but won't buy them. Sometimes you have to sacrifice to support your local Union

Pete
Her having lived in Japan should I be foolish enough to bring home a rice burner Florence would set fire to it in the driveway..When I first came down here I bought a used Buick Century 1981 vintage put 145,000 miles on it and it still only took less than a quart between oil changes - 3.8l engine. Traded it on the Ford Probe and put 135,000 on it. Then Chck 'Ethanol' Grassley convinced everyone that ethanol was cheaper than gasoline (without noting that refining it causes more pollution that it saves) and the Probes gas mileage went to hell. Not to mention that I have had to put new gas lines in every gas powered tool I own. So when I bought the Impala it got better gas mileage with a 3.8l six than the Probe did with a 2.2l four.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Ike, big tent? I've voted for tax increases for specific things, state bridges come to mind, and I voted for the smoking ban (which I regret, different topic though). I'm not even necessarily anti-activist government but at the state level only. If unions can survive on their own I like them. They are in the best tradition of rugged individualism, band together and make things happen ourselves. Squeeze those rich guys lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Her having lived in Japan should I be foolish enough to bring home a rice burner Florence would set fire to it in the driveway..When I first came down here I bought a used Buick Century 1981 vintage put 145,000 miles on it and it still only took less than a quart between oil changes - 3.8l engine. Traded it on the Ford Probe and put 135,000 on it. Then Chck 'Ethanol' Grassley convinced everyone that ethanol was cheaper than gasoline (without noting that refining it causes more pollution that it saves) and the Probes gas mileage went to hell. Not to mention that I have had to put new gas lines in every gas powered tool I own. So when I bought the Impala it got better gas mileage with a 3.8l six than the Probe did with a 2.2l four.
I need a hotkey that types 'I love your wife' I dislike the ethanol too.

Pete
Old 01-23-2014, 11:20 AM

I wonder if the engineers of the american auto makers are UAW. Can't blame the line workers for the horrible mistakes in some of the american cars from last two decades which were purely dumb engineering.

You cannot deny the Accord and Camry has been absolutely destroying the american garbage that has been around for 20 years. Ford Taurus, Chevy Malibu, Dodge Stratus, how many decade old ones are still driving around. They're made of foil, really? Ever look at crash test ratings?

Trucks are a whole different story. Only the Americans make a real tough full size truck that can be worked. The truck market keeps the US companies alive.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post
I wonder if the engineers of the american auto makers are UAW. Can't blame the line workers for the horrible mistakes in some of the american cars from last two decades which were purely dumb engineering.

You cannot deny the Accord and Camry has been absolutely destroying the american garbage that has been around for 20 years. Ford Taurus, Chevy Malibu, Dodge Stratus, how many decade old ones are still driving around. They're made of foil, really? Ever look at crash test ratings?

Trucks are a whole different story. Only the Americans make a real tough full size truck that can be worked. The truck market keeps the US companies alive.
Mike a lady drove her Honda into my Ford Probe, bill for repairing the Probe $265, for the Honda over $1400 last I heard from her insurance company. That was enough of a crash test rating for me. Poor woman saw the white hair and was concerned that I was OK. Then she looked at her car and said 'My husband will kill me."

Engineering is management ergo non union
Old 01-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Agreed the Nipponese (that's not offensive is it?) thrashed us for a while. My nephews' 1991 Supra has a quality feel and my brother in laws 89 Accord was a tank until rust ate it.

That said the 80s full size GMs and Fords were very reliable as well, but a dying breed in many ways even then. I sold my 97 Grand Marquis with 230k mostly trouble free miles on it because of rust.

Mike I meet a lot of contractors at the pickup dock, the only time I ever see a foreign truck is when it's someones' friend The new HD trucks are incredible.

Pete
Old 01-23-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Mike a lady drove her Honda into my Ford Probe, bill for repairing the Probe $265, for the Honda over $1400 last I heard from her insurance company. That was enough of a crash test rating for me. Poor woman saw the white hair and was concerned that I was OK. Then she looked at her car and said 'My husband will kill me."

Engineering is management ergo non union
So your basing crash test durability on an isolated accident which may have caused different damage to each vehicle? Ridiculous. So if I rear end your old probe with my new Benz and break my $2500 headlamps but only wreck your bumper the new Mercedes is less durable in a crash?

How about something like your chances of being alive after a 50mph front end collision or a side impact. I would be a bit more concerned about that then the relative costs of a fender bender.

Besides good crash tested cars are meant to crumble in certain areas to keep you alive.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post
So your basing crash test durability on an isolated accident which may have caused different damage to each vehicle? Ridiculous. So if I rear end your old probe with my new Benz and break my $2500 headlamps but only wreck your bumper the new Mercedes is less durable in a crash?

How about something like your chances of being alive after a 50mph front end collision or a side impact. I would be a bit more concerned about that then the relative costs of a fender bender.

Besides good crash tested cars are meant to crumble in certain areas to keep you alive.
It was the small Honda within a year of the age of the Probe so roughly equal priced cars. The lady was not hurt and neither was I but her Honda was sure bent out of shape.

Mike you like riceburners that's fine, we don't and have had good service from the AmeriCanadian cars we have driven. Statistics are whatever you make of them, we only know what we have personally experienced. A simplle example there was a day when you changed mufflers every 20,000 miles. Our twin Impala LSs are tirteen years olf with way more than 20,000 miles and the original mufflers.

Saw results of crash tests on small cars on TV last night, the small Chevy was the only one to survive. The passenger compartment collapsed on all the others. In some cases the steering column shited backward.

Last edited by merrylander; 01-23-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 PM

Steering column? Find me a car with one anymore. My '11 Chevy 2500 doesn't have one nor does my wife's '12 Nissan Rogue. Does the receiver from the drive by wire hit the passengers?

I liked my american cars so much more than my Honda but they were like an abusive spouse.

Its not that I like rice burners, I have a 90 Accord with almost 200k on it that I've owned for six years and has given me zero trouble compared to the garbage american cars I owned before. I had a 1985 full sized Olds, ugh changed just about every part in 3 years but fun 307 to drive. 99 olds alero bought new, head gasket blew at 55k sold it, 02 Pontiac grand am bought with 20k on it, intake manifold gasket rupture at 62k which cracked the block when overheated. Basically totaled the car. How many of these disposable cars should you own before you realize they are poorly made. Pontiac was sell 250k grand ams as fleet cars on top of all they sold, where are they now? Where are all the Impalas from that time, they were fleet vehicles as well? Big crushing magnet in the sky.

My Honda does not burn oil, AC still ice cold, transmission nice a smooth. Even my power windows work whereas at 50k I had a window regulator fail in my Pontiac. It looked like a kids toy. Sure the quarters are rotting and the paint on the roof is almost gone, it was ugly ass beige anyway.

You have no idea what it took to go into the Chevy dealer and hand over $30k for my truck after my track record with gm. So far 18k no issues but I don't do many miles with it since the accord gets abused with commuting.