Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Admin

Cool The Crow Whisperer

For the last two days a pair of crows have been torturing me outside my window. After checking to see if there were any babies flopping around, I found two fledglings stuck in between the back of the neighboring apartment building and a cinder block wall. Patty went into full mother hen mode and had them in a basket giving them a little water.
So, I went on Wikipedia and learned more than I wanted to know about the subject. Pound for pound, crows have as much brains as our cousins the apes.
Long story short, they're back up in the tree and I didn't fall off my 24' extension ladder in the process. Woo hooo!
Old 05-15-2014, 04:19 PM

Good for you.

I am dealing with foxes. A den full living under my shed. They emerged from the den going on three weeks ago. The zoo guy said they would move on and find their own territory in a couple of weeks. They had started to move on but then someone up the street, also with a den under their shed called wild animal extraction out and started trapping them. I think it was their alternate den. This morning there were small animal parts scattered around the yard again and hole number three appeared under the shed.

I have two small puppies, 9 weeks and 11 weeks that would make a great snack for six cat sized fox pups and their mom and dad. They've dominated the yard for three weeks now and it's time for them to go. I'm going to set my boom box on "annoy" inside the shed tonight, fill in the holes they've been digging under the fence and fill in two of the holes into the shed, and spray coyote pee at the recommended places. I want to encourage them to move on.

Still scratching my head over the coyote pee...how did they get the coyotes to pee in the spray bottle?

Last edited by MrPots; 05-15-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:21 PM

Old 05-15-2014, 04:23 PM

Old 05-15-2014, 04:37 PM
Admin

Those red foxes are cute Mr. Pots. It looks like momma and papa crow are happy that their kids are back out of harms way. Lot's of cats around here.

ps to Boreas, all of ours and the neighbors are locked up in the house...
Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Area Man

A Sparrow flew into a window, here about a month ago. Knocked himself out. My Sis held him in her lap until he came to, plus about a half hour as we watched t.v.. The little guy just sat there quietly, looking around. He started to get restless, so she took him to the door and let him go.

I thought it strange that he was so well behaved. Maybe sometimes they know you mean no harm? I dunno.

Dave
Old 05-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Ready

Crows/ravens are smart enough to cooperate in getting hawks to kill rabbits for them. Then they gang up of the hawk and chase it off. Or so the story goes....

Another story is that they bait roads by dropping dead rodents on them. Coyotes try to get the bait and are hit by cars. Ravens eat coyote.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Ready

I rescued a GD woodpecker that flew into the patio door and knocked itself out. I say GD because it may have been on of the sapsuckers that had damaged our well-liked sugar maple. Still, there it was, on the back step, and the ants started mobbing it. I picked it up and brushed the ants off. It started coming-to, I held a while longer, then put it on the side of the tree when it seemed able to grab-on. He just stayed where I'd put him for a long time, then he flew off.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Admin

Good thing I left the ladder up. One fell out again. Oh well, back up the tree it goes.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:09 AM

There is a talking crow at our nature park. It says, "I can fly. I can fly." It's pretty funny.

Good on you for taking care of the little fellers.