Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:15 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
It's not hunting accidents. Alaskans are violent.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ates/21214169/
It's all that rugged individualism.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-26-2015, 09:52 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
It would stand to reason that Alaska would be the last state to drop the "Wild West" attitude. Couple that with the fact that it has the highest men:women ratio and I can see the statistics being sound.
In general I concur with the statistics overall validity but I wonder if there are other factors at play?

A land where, at times, 3/4 of the "day" is night might have some issues like Seattle: perpetually depressed people.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:14 PM

Doesn't Alaska have a high suicide rate, especially among Native Americans?
I remember reading an article in the LA times about the high suicide rate among young people, particularly on reservations.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:29 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Doesn't Alaska have a high suicide rate, especially among Native Americans?
I remember reading an article in the LA times about the high suicide rate among young people, particularly on reservations.
There is an enormously high suicide rate among Natives on reservations where life can be the same as a pauper in a Third World country. Where I always annoy fellow Natives is where I say, "then leave."

In most -- but not all -- situations the Federal Reserve land a tribe squats upon is NOT their ancestral homeland. Hence, there shouldn't be any romanticized attachment to it. But there is, just as many folks cling to certain urban areas (Watts, East LA, Harlem, South Chicago, etc.) even as it changes around them and makes them feel even more disenfranchised. I am often reminded of the old Sam Kennison routine where he suggests sending U-Hauls instead of food to folks living in certain parts of Africa because you "live in a fucking desert!"

But, without getting too much into it, the Federal government essentially pays many Natives to remain isolated, ignorant, and detached from society as wards in exchange for general compliance. And every day, they eat the cheese. But I have a degree, a job and have placed other Natives in handcuffs so I'm a definitional sellout to them.

Eventually, like folks that choose criminality, you just observe and say "screw 'em" dropping the hammer every chance you get to preserve those trying to make it. It's the only logical thing to do with folks willingly existing in such a manner.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:51 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
It's not hunting accidents. Alaskans are violent.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ates/21214169/

Totally unexpected for me.

Perhaps Trump should put Alaska on his map.

Last edited by Dondilion; 07-26-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:04 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
There is an enormously high suicide rate among Natives on reservations where life can be the same as a pauper in a Third World country. Where I always annoy fellow Natives is where I say, "then leave."

In most -- but not all -- situations the Federal Reserve land a tribe squats upon is NOT their ancestral homeland. Hence, there shouldn't be any romanticized attachment to it. But there is, just as many folks cling to certain urban areas (Watts, East LA, Harlem, South Chicago, etc.) even as it changes around them and makes them feel even more disenfranchised. I am often reminded of the old Sam Kennison routine where he suggests sending U-Hauls instead of food to folks living in certain parts of Africa because you "live in a fucking desert!"

But, without getting too much into it, the Federal government essentially pays many Natives to remain isolated, ignorant, and detached from society as wards in exchange for general compliance. And every day, they eat the cheese. But I have a degree, a job and have placed other Natives in handcuffs so I'm a definitional sellout to them.

Eventually, like folks that choose criminality, you just observe and say "screw 'em" dropping the hammer every chance you get to preserve those trying to make it. It's the only logical thing to do with folks willingly existing in such a manner.
"Dropping the hammer" reads very cold Zeke.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:32 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
"Dropping the hammer" reads very cold Zeke.
What resources should be wasted on those who refuse to help themselves?

Every buck spent there is a buck misappropriated from those actually trying.