Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Obamas' oil spill.

Really. Even Eleanor on McLaughlin said he was slow on the uptake, and it's been a long time - when do folks start blaming him a'la Katrina?

Pete
Old 05-10-2010, 10:02 AM

Well, Pete, you may have a point. I guess the question is, what was he supposed to do? And how was he supposed to know. This is a mile under the ocean. Katrina was on television. I just don't see it. Before Katrina hit they told Bush it was coming and it was bad. Of course there was no warning that this was going to happen. But even if there had been and Obama wanted to do something, what would he do?

Maybe I'm the partisan hack on this one, but it feels like attacking someone for something they could do nothing about. And drawing the Katrina comparison probably makes it worse as there clearly were things Bush could have done and did not. No excuse for hungry people to sit for a week in those conditions.

No one blames the hurricane on W. They blame him for not helping Americans in need. There is no corollary to this situation in my opinion. I think they're doing all they can. There's just nothing to do.

If you want to bash Obama on this one, bash him for agreeing to *more* off shore drilling.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Really. Even Eleanor on McLaughlin said he was slow on the uptake, and it's been a long time - when do folks start blaming him a'la Katrina?

Pete
Members of his administration took action immediately, and Obama's appointments to such posts have have shown significantly more competence than a horse trader who the last administration put in charge of FEMA. Secondly, lives have not been put immediately at risk by this disaster (other than the sad case of the workers on the rig). No Katrina here.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-10-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
...when do folks start blaming him a'la Katrina?
And just one more question- do you blame Bush for Katrina? Just trying to get your point. Are you saing that Bush was wrong and Obama is too, or are you saying Bush did nothing wrong and neither did Obama? You're trying to lump them in the same boat- just trying to figure out which boat.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:

Pete
sorry pete, this is more lunacy from the right
Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Let me get this straight, Pete. The US Gov't (i.e., the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers) had the responsibility for the design, construction, maintenance and operation of the New Orleans flood control system. Dubya is the Commander-in-Chief of the Army, and by extension, the Corps of Engineers). Dubya had many days of warning before Katrina's landfall and the Corps (and the New Orleans Levee District) had the responsibility to "batten down the hatches" and prepare for the storm.

BP (and its subcontractors) were responsible for the design, construction, maintenance and operation of its Gulf drilling operations. Obama had no advance notice of the well blowout a mile below the ocean's surface, the severity of which was not fully disclosed by BP for days. BP has the knowledge, expertise and equipment (and above all, the responsibility) to support well drilling operations and address mishaps.

This whole Katrina/Oil Spill comparison is, IMHO, nothing more than the GOP trying to compensate for Dubya's screw-up during Katrina and put an equivalent amount of blame/disdain upon Obama as Dubya rightfully got. The Dem's got a lot of mileage out of Katrina and the GOP is attempting (cynically) to get similar mileage.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 AM

OK, OK, the Gummint screwed the pooch big-time ala Katrina. Looked like the Keystone Kops, they did. BUT...y'know, it wasn't like we didn't see it coming...For a week or so. EVERY TIME you turned on the TV, they had the path of where it was headed on-Even here. Even as stupid as I am, if I lived in Nawlins, I think I'd made plans to go visit Uncle Thibadeaux 'n' Aunt Boudleleaux upstate...Hitched a ride, took a car, hell walkin' ain't crowded. I do feel that I have a LITTLE responsibility for what happens to my arse...Can't wait/depend on Uncle Sugar for everything.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 AM

I don't disagree with you Sandy. I'd have done the same. But a lot of folks didn't. Don't think we can say "well, guess you're gonna die now. Should have made a better decision". Guess we were too busy making life better for all those Iraqis.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Area Man

Well, he IS the anti-Christ. He coud have caused it, just like he causes baby strollers to roll out into traffic and ravens to peck womens eyes out.............

Regards,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg omenbarrack.jpg (89.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-10-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
This whole Katrina/Oil Spill comparison is, IMHO, nothing more than the GOP trying to compensate for Dubya's screw-up during Katrina and put an equivalent amount of blame/disdain upon Obama as Dubya rightfully got
There is another aspect to it. If they can hang the responsibility for this on the government it fits the mantra of "the government screws everything up" the Right is so fond of.

John