We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:41 PM
Persona non grata

Joseph Gordon-Levitt Buys Vintage in Los Feliz

Now this is a cool house.

http://variety.com/2015/dirt/real-es...iz-1201436021/

Quote:
Joseph Gordon-Levitt (“3rd Rock from the Sun,” “(500) Days of Summer,” “Inception”) has done snagged himself some new digs in L.A.’s Franklin Hills ‘hood, between the celeb-attracting Los Feliz and hipster harboring Silver Lake areas. Mister Gordon-Levitt, 34 years old and already a showbiz veteran of nearly 30 years, appears to have faced some hardcore competition for the dated but architecturally dignified residence in question that online resources show was officially listed in mid-January (2015) at $2.995 million and sold, per property records, three lickety-split weeks later for $3.25 million.
More photos here

Last edited by Tom Joad; 02-22-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Ready

Agree. No overuse of precious finishes, no 30-foot ceilings, no other sorts of show-off excess. A large house, but a house. Seems comfy.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Agree. No overuse of precious finishes, no 30-foot ceilings, no other sorts of show-off excess. A large house, but a house. Seems comfy.

Quite nice and, given the market and neighborhood, cheap at $3.5 million. (Perhaps that's why is went for more than the listed price.)

I don't want to sound like a California snob but there are a lot of houses like that out here, many built in the '50s and '60s when California was growing by leaps and bounds and a lot of people were making a lot of money.

Now, mind you, I don't live in a house like that... maybe some day... but I've worked on more than a few. It's a pleasure.

John
Old 02-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Persona non grata

When I saw the architects name (Paul Williams) I right away thought of that chubby little blonde dude from the 70's.

But then I googled it and found that it was designed by a very successful black architect back in the day when most black guys were lucky if they could land a job as a janitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Wi...28architect%29
Old 02-22-2015, 06:07 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Quite nice and, given the market and neighborhood, cheap at $3.5 million. (Perhaps that's why is went for more than the listed price.)

I don't want to sound like a California snob but there are a lot of houses like that out here, many built in the '50s and '60s when California was growing by leaps and bounds and a lot of people were making a lot of money.

Now, mind you, I don't live in a house like that... maybe some day... but I've worked on more than a few. It's a pleasure.

John
If somebody gave me that house free and clear I'd have to put it up for sale the next day. I figure what with property taxes, insurance, utilities, pool service, gardener, and general upkeep and repairs the upkeep would run at least 8-10K a month.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
If somebody gave me that house free and clear I'd have to put it up for sale the next day. I figure what with property taxes, insurance, utilities, pool service, gardener, and general upkeep and repairs the upkeep would run at least 8-10K a month.
White elephant to us ordinary folk.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
True, but I can do all that stuff so, given enough hours in a day, I could save myself a shitload of money. Until I get too old to do it.

Also, the climate out here is so benign, never too hot, never too cold, never to damp, never too dry, that things just last longer. Maintenance concerns like roofs and paint jobs aren't as big a deal here.

We do have earthquakes though.

John
Old 02-23-2015, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Great house in a great LA neighborhood. We love mid-century modern residential architecture, particularly pretty much any home designed by Joseph Eichler. We lived out in West Hollywood for a while in the mid-70's and whenever an home came on the market that was advertised as an Eichler we would try to get a look at it.

Finn probably thinks they're shit though.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Great house in a great LA neighborhood. We love mid-century modern residential architecture, particularly pretty much any home designed by Joseph Eichler. We lived out in West Hollywood for a while in the mid-70's and whenever an home came on the market that was advertised as an Eichler we would try to get a look at it.

No, but I doubt (again) that the AIA has proclaimed it to be the best piece of American architecture ever.

Seriously though, I find the setting and the landscaping more appealing than the house itself.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Terra Linda North, one of Eichler's first developments, is about 20 miles from here. It's one of the things I had in mind in my earlier post.

Quote:
Gratuitous and childish.

Last edited by Boreas; 02-23-2015 at 10:25 AM.