Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I grew up in a backwoods "Jerkwater" town called Newton Falls, Ohio. But, never took to the country life. Actually, I hate it. Most of you already know my sentiments on that, so I'll leave sleepin' dogs lie.
I couldn't wait to get out. I loved living in San Francisco and Berkeley. But when I had kids, I kinda wanted to get back. Growing up in the country was great. We used to spend the whole summer just riding around on our bikes. Our parents knew we'd never get in any trouble 'cause there wasn't any to get into.

But the country life isn't what it used to be. The town I grew up in looks like a slum now. Doesn't seem like there are any normal family folks there anymore. There are some faux yuppies in some new sub divisions who are, well- not my type. Everyone else seems like they're poor as dirt. The houses in the part of town I grew up in are all run down. Lots of drugs gong on out there now. I never thought I'd see that. That Meth deal is a bad one. I guess it's like they say- you can't go back home.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
But the country life isn't what it used to be. The town I grew up in looks like a slum now. Doesn't seem like there are any normal family folks there anymore. There are some faux yuppies in some new sub divisions who are, well- not my type. Everyone else seems like they're poor as dirt. The houses in the part of town I grew up in are all run down. Lots of drugs gong on out there now. I never thought I'd see that. That Meth deal is a bad one. I guess it's like they say- you can't go back home.
I know exactly what you mean, Eddie. I used to hate it because it was so boring, me not being the outdoorsman type. But, I do have to admit, that when I was a kid it was very nice. Now, it's depressing. My brother thinks it's heaven because it's still 98.9% white. (And he's about as racist as they come.)
But, I guess he hasn't noticed that three of the houses on his street are abandoned and slowly becoming delapidated. One of them condemned because it was used by some scumbags as a meth lab. I told him once that I could show him proof that he's living in one of the most crime ridden areas in the country. He told me I was "full of shit, we don't have any criminal element here." You do know what he means by "criminal element", don't you? He still doesn't get that desperate, poverty stricken whites can be every bit as dangerous as anyone else.

Anyhow, it's sad what has become of that place. I blame globalization and a state and federal government that doesn't care. Then I blame the citizens themselves for just giving up and sitting on their asses.

To go a little philosophical on you; I've been thinking that "home" is not just a place. It's also a time, and people who are no longer there. This is why you can't "go home" after you've been gone so long. It will never be the same place. It can't.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-21-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Resident octogenarian

What a difference, I got corresponding with a woman back in my old hometown, She sent me pictures, of the house I grew up in, my grandparent's home, my brother's first home (helped him build it), and the first home that I ever bought. All well maintained and landscaped. Even the fence I put around the backyard and the hedge all there in top shape.

The town has expanded considerably, my old two room schoolhouse is converted to lord knows what, big two story high school, lots of new roads and housing. Only thing that made me weep was they sold the church, and the big oak cross I built in my father's memory no one knows where it is, I would have paid to have it sent down here and given it to the little Lutheran church around the corner.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-22-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Anyhow, it's sad what has become of that place. I blame globalization and a state and federal government that doesn't care. Then I blame the citizens themselves for just giving up and sitting on their asses.
Well, to some degree, I have to blame the fools who live out there who insist on voting against their own self interest again and again.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Gaa, Eddie, I almost thought we'd have a non political thread

The Ohio hill folk are still largely Dem.

Blue, you ain't kidding there can be bad white areas. Cleveland's near west side was a very dangerous place when I was a kid.

Heck, still is, but now it's a integrated bad area

I want the country, but within driving distance....

Pete