Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 PM

Cuba and the Elephants

"We are free, but not to be evil, not to be indifferent to human suffering, not to profit from the people, from the work created and sustained through their spirit of political association, while refusing to contribute to the political state that we profit from. We must say no once more. Man is not free to watch impassively the enslavement and dishonor of men, nor their struggles for liberty and honor."

"Freedoms, like privileges, prevail or are imperiled together You cannot harm or strive to achieve one without harming or furthering all."

"It is terrible to speak of you, Liberty, for one who lives without you. A wild best does not bend its knee before its tamer with greater fury. One discovers the depths of hell, and from there looks up at freemen with their sun-like arrogance. One bites the air, like a hyena biting the bars of its cage. One's spirit writhes inside the body, like a man who has been poisoned. The wretch who lives without freedom feels like dressing in the mud from the streets Those who have you, o Liberty, do not know. you. Those who do not have you should not speak of you, but win you."

Jose Marti (1853- 1895)

================================================== =====

Cuba and the Elephants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCIk66EPIV4

---------------

Last edited by juliovideo; 03-29-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Area Man

If Cuba is a shithole---- do something about it.

I'm not doing it for you.

Dave
Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Admin

Marti was talking about the Spanish Crown. To compare the Castro regime to that is laughable.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
If Cuba is a shithole---- do something about it.

I'm not doing it for you.

Dave

Do you not understand ,or you just don't want to understand the message?.....you are seeing it from the wrong angle........but ,I will show you some history to refresh your memory.

"THE CONTRIBUTION OF THE ‘LADIES OF HAVANA’ TO THE U.S. WAR OF INDEPENDENCE WAS OF VITAL IMPORTANCE."

This is a little known fact about the American Revolutionary War.

The Washington Times, (7/2000)
Editorial Section, by Antonio Benedi.
(Benedi serves on the board of directors of the Patrick Henry Center for Individual Liberty.)

The people of Cuba have a long history of respect and support for the United States .

Cubans, as a people, helped raise much-needed funds for the Revolutionary Army of George Washington. The “Havana’s Ladies,” a group of Cuban mothers, heard General Washington’s plea for desperately needed funds and raised an astonishing amount for that time. They sent to Virginia the equivalent in today’s money of $28 million. This has received little exposure in American history books, but is well documented. The inscription that the “Ladies of Havana” wrote on their contribution was:
“So the American mothers’ sons are not born as slaves.”

The pledge of the Havana ‘s Ladies, remained very little known, with the exception of an American historian Stephen Bonsal, who wrote:

“That sum collected [by the Havana 's Ladies] must be considered as the ground whereon was erected the American independence.”

Gen. Jean Baptiste de Rochambeau wrote in his “Daily Memoirs,” available in the Library of Congress:

“The joy was enormous when it was received, the money from Havana: The contribution of 800,000 silver pounds which helped stop the financial bankruptcy (of the Revolutionary Army) and raised up the moral spirit of the Army that had began to dissolve.”

Carmen Maria Rodriguez has also done research into this chapter of the Revolutionary war. She writes:

This July 4th, New York will be scenario of the largest maritime event in the history of humankind. In this regard, the city, and the nation are outdoing themselves to stage along with simultaneous fireworks, one of the most impressive displays of popular joy and freedom ever staged commemorating a nation’s freedom.

Being Cuban born and living within sight of the Statue of Liberty, I cannot help but think of who and what made this possible. My mind races back to a demonstration held in New York by Cuban Americans when someone handed to me a piece of paper in which the former US Ambassador to Cuba Stephen Bonsal wrote, “The Contribution of Cuban women by way of their jewelry, could very well be the foundation on which is founded, the freedom of the United States”. Bonsal, having lived in Havana , also penned a book: “When the French were here”.

A friend of mine, Tirso Gonzalez, veteran of the 2506 Brigade, once heard me talking about this case, and both he and I set out to investigate in the NY Public Library if this indeed was true. This is what we both found out:

General George Washington had a dream to liberate the colonies from the English. He also had a band of mercenaries whom to pay, since he relied on these type of soldiers to wage the war which he felt was just and necessary.

The French were here in the colonies helping out, and given that there was no money to finance the mercenaries or the war, Lafayette commanded the frigate known as “L’Aigrrette”, to travel first to Cadiz, Spain, to see if money could be gotten. To no avail, the Spanish in Cadiz were very kind but not financially forthcoming. The ship then went on to Saint Domingue, what is now Haiti, and what was then the richest of all colonies given the enormous wealth to be had in the sugar industry. The French there told the French on the ship, “Nous n’avons pas d’argent”, in other words, there would be no money from Saint Domingue sent to Washington . L’Aigrette then set sail to the Port of Havana to obtain water and supplies to return up to Virginia empty handed. It was there that word got out, that Washington needed funding to stage a battle which was at the time only in the planning stages. Women, girls, from Havana to Matanzas to Pinar del Rio gave freely of their jewelry. The French even documenting that they disposed of their diamonds, to help Washington in his quest for freedom and the financing of his mercenaries.
The women of Cuba came forth, knowing that this was a just cause, giving up of their only wealth, which was their jewelry, to assist the love of independence of another nation.

When L’Agraitte set sail and arrived in September of 1781 in Virginia, General Washington upon knowing that there was sufficient financing of over 1,200,000 pounds of Cuban gold, silver and diamonds, historians point out that he lost his usual sedate composure and threw his hat in the air from sheer joy.

Cuban Women’s Contribution to the cause of American Independence thus made possible the financing of the decisive battle of American Independence, known as the then on 31 October 1781, that General Cornwallis of England, had his sable turned over to General Washington, as a sign of surrender of the English to a band of dreamers know as the Founding Fathers of the United States of America.

“May God bless the children of these Cuban women who loved their own freedom, but knew that the cause of liberty and justice is one to be pursued at all costs everywhere in the world where there is need for such a state of affairs.”

When New York rejoices this Fourth of July, I too in a way shall rejoice doubly, since it was our Cuban ancestors, and despite all the disdain many feel for this land, that made possible, the freedom and bounty of so many. And by writing this, I hope to start waking up people’s minds that Cubans even today as in 1781 maintain their unique tradition of defending freedom above all else.

---------------
Old 03-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Area Man

If you don't like Cubas communist government, (And I don't blame you for that.), then do something about it.

"......Cubans even today as in 1781 maintain their unique tradition of defending freedom above all else"

Really? Then what in the fuck are they waiting for? It's been over sixty years, now.

No. I'm not risking any American lives to do it for them.

Dave
Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I never knew that, thanks for the post, and bless your women. I won't view Cuba the same again.

Pete
Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Jigsawed

More anti Cuban propaganda without a hint of CIA activities.

Here is a NICE fellow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Posada_Carriles

Last edited by Dondilion; 03-30-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Area Man

Well, there you go. A Cuban actually trying to do something about it. Get enough of them on board and communist government will come down.

Consider Poland and Solidarnosc.

Fancy that.

Dave
Old 03-31-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Well, there you go. A Cuban actually trying to do something about it. Get enough of them on board and communist government will come down.

Consider Poland and Solidarnosc.

Fancy that.

Dave
Hi Dave ;I would like show you a beautiful part of the island of Cuba,but you can be completely convens that we have not come to America for a plate of food, we have come by freedom and work ,where our work is reflected ....... and the cubans are among the minority that most contribute to the internal revenue in the United States.

Someday all people can enjoy this paradise, and again become assets of the Cubans and the world. Watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhC1U8hj4Yk

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...;storyMediaBox

---------------

Last edited by juliovideo; 03-31-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Area Man

Yes, it is beautiful.

Yes, I would like to go there some day.

No, I would not send American troops to liberate it, unless the Cuban people had already begun the fight.

And maybe not even then.

Dave