Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Resident octogenarian

He may have lost a few battles but he won the war.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:14 PM

I always admired Churchill. Except for the women and children, I wouldn't give two craps if Iraq burned and it's oil went up with it. Does anyone remember Kuwait?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Except for the women and children, I wouldn't give two craps if Iraq burned and it's oil went up with it. Does anyone remember Kuwait?
o.k, then you probably have a idea how Iraqis feel about the US. You'd have even better idea if they were to arbitrarily invade the US, occupy it for a decade, slaughter whatever factions they didn't like here, install a puppet government, then hauled ass, leaving everything in shambles.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
o.k, then you probably have a idea how Iraqis feel about the US. You'd have even better idea if they were to arbitrarily invade the US, occupy it for a decade, slaughter whatever factions they didn't like here, install a puppet government, then hauled ass, leaving everything in shambles.
I don't disagree with you at all, but I doubt they would make any efforts whatsoever to spare our women and children, and we did, to the cost of a lot of our guys lives. I don't think America should be involved in ANY war, unless we are attacked or have proof positive of an impending attack, like some say we did with Pearl Harbor. That said, I think we were attacked on 9/11 by the talliban. In my way of thinking then, any country who harbored the talliban should have been obliterated to the extent that we knew for certain, no talliban survived. I know that's harsh, but 9/11 was harsh. For example, when we found Osama living in Pakistan, we should have rained death and destruction over a 500 mile radius. Scorched earth, the black flag. If nothing else, it would serve as an example to other countries that they may want to out the talliban themselves, before we have to. Back in WWII, I think the American citizens felt like one of our boys lives was worth 100 of Japanese or German lives (what changed and when). Obviously Truman did, and we haven't had any trouble out of the Japanese since.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 PM

More than a decade down the road from 9/11, I would have thought that, surely, more Americans would comprehend the fact that their actions that day were ones of reprisal, and pale in comparison to the horrors and injustices that we have foisted upon them for generations.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:38 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
More than a decade down the road from 9/11, I would have thought that, surely, more Americans would comprehend the fact that their actions that day were ones of reprisal, and pale in comparison to the horrors and injustices that we have foisted upon them for generations.
WOW! That's all I've got.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I comprehend what you're saying, and it does make a certain amount of sense, but I still don't buy it.

Chas
Old 01-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quite apart from the fact that Iraq had nowt to do with 9/11 you must admit that a goodly percentage of their civilian deaths were imflicted by their fellow muslims.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Admin

Quote:
Most were Saudi nationals, none were Iraqis, had al queda shown their faces in Iraqi territory they would've been hung from the nearest lamp post. Your reasoning is flawed, completely. I might agree with some of what you've posted around here but this post ^ is not supportable.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Interesting and timely article on civilian deaths in America's conflicts since WWII.

As the United States officially ended the war in Iraq last month, President Obama spoke eloquently at Fort Bragg, N.C., lauding troops for “your patriotism, your commitment to fulfill your mission, your abiding commitment to one another,” and offering words of grief for the nearly 4,500 members of the U.S. armed forces who died in Iraq. He did not, however, mention the sacrifices of the Iraqi people.

This inattention to civilian deaths in America’s wars isn’t unique to Iraq. There’s little evidence that the American public gives much thought to the people who live in the nations where our military interventions take place. Think about the memorials on the Mall honoring American sacrifices in Korea and Vietnam. These are powerful, sacred spots, but neither mentions the people of those countries who perished in the conflicts.

The major wars the United States has fought since the surrender of Japan in 1945 — in Korea, Indochina, Iraq and Afghanistan — have produced colossal carnage. For most of them, we do not have an accurate sense of how many people died, but a conservative estimate is at least 6 million civilians and soldiers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...4eP_story.html