Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 AM

Can't help but wonder just how far from the tree the little nut is going to fall?

Chas
Old 12-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

About 3 feet, my guess.

With NK having nukes there's no way for us to help folks over there.

Pete
Old 12-19-2011, 12:15 PM

And I thought Enver Hoxha had the "cult of personality" thing nailed in Albania. Ol' Enver was a piker compared with the Kim "dynasty". Consider totally-state controlled media, NO internet, and PA speakers blaring martial music & "revolutionary" speeches 24/7 & it's pretty easy to see why NK's population bought into the "Dear Leader" thing. Malnutrition makes mind control a tad easier, too.

The kid'll pick up right where the old man left off.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:42 PM

Easy to control minds when the government tells the press what to do, controls all information and is very willing to lie to people.

Just look at how many Americans believed, or still believe, that Iraq was behind 9-11. And this in a country with 24 hour news stations and Internet access to the rest of the world. What chance do the poor folks in NK have?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:20 AM

Treaty obligation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
About 3 feet, my guess.

With NK having nukes there's no way for us to help folks over there.

Pete

Is there still a treaty obliging the USA to help South Korea if North Korea invades? North Korea claims that the South belongs to them anyway. With the US economy in the state it's in and troops just pulled home from Iraq I can't see Obama or anyone else wanting to put troops into South Korea. If the new Dear Leader thinks about it, he might come to the conclusion that now would be a good time to invade.

I don't know if US air bases exist in South Korea but if they do, are there enough planes there to mount a defense? Would moving a carrier group in be a practical alternative?

NK's nukes seem to be fairly primitive but primitive or not I wouldn't want to rely on them not being used.

Oh Well. It's time I got back to work...................
Old 12-20-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
Is there still a treaty obliging the USA to help South Korea if North Korea invades? North Korea claims that the South belongs to them anyway. With the US economy in the state it's in and troops just pulled home from Iraq I can't see Obama or anyone else wanting to put troops into South Korea. If the new Dear Leader thinks about it, he might come to the conclusion that now would be a good time to invade.

I don't know if US air bases exist in South Korea but if they do, are there enough planes there to mount a defense? Would moving a carrier group in be a practical alternative?

NK's nukes seem to be fairly primitive but primitive or not I wouldn't want to rely on them not being used.

Oh Well. It's time I got back to work...................
I think a lot of it depends on whether China thinks it's time for another proxy war.

Chas
Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 AM

My understanding is that a state of war still exists. All that was ever signed was a cease fire. If I remember correctly, there are 28,500 US troops in Korea.

Apparently, americans are still not viewed particularly favorably in Korean society. Loutish behavior on the part of US troops is a big factor in this.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Apparently, americans are still not viewed particularly favorably in Korean society. Loutish behavior on the part of US troops is a big factor in this.
Mostly true. Though the Koreans are more than happy to ply GI's with beer and soju (a strong, clear distilled spirit) and the nightlife there can be conducive to craziness, particularly in Itaewon. I've been there several times to teach a few courses and enjoyed it immensely. Seoul is a very cool place.

Also, it seems like Korean gals that you see here aren't all that attractive. There are some real stunners there.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I think we have just a 'tripwire' presence there.... but I can't imagine we would let it go.

Pete
Old 12-20-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
My understanding is that a state of war still exists. All that was ever signed was a cease fire. If I remember correctly, there are 28,500 US troops in Korea.

They hate us for our "freedoms".

Chas