Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Abby Normal

Don't you mean the Neutron bomb?

The cobalt bomb was designed to eliminate all life on earth.

Anyone ever wonder if this was built and is classified?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:59 AM

I don't think that works........

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
but if we followed international law, would not China be part of the decision making process? If we were attacked directly so that we needed to respond directly China would be notified of exactly what our intentions were.
Hence I don't think our actions would drawn in anyone else.
If we pull and Iraq in that part of the world then your question is a concern.
Notifying China of what our intentions were isn't making them part of the decision making process; it's informing them of a decision already made. If the decision was made to hit NK with nuclear missiles in response to an attack on the USA, China couldn't prevent it but it could react if thousands of its people died because of it. It's not a question of how could they react, it's how would they most likely react.

It's interesting. I grew up at a time when nuclear missiles were thought of as a deterrent; if the deterrent failed they'd have not served their purpose. But now we could be up against our worst nightmare; trying to face off countries lead by people who as long as they think they have an escape route don't care what happens to their own countries or worse still, the genuine fruitcakes who don't care if they die as long as they take the 'Great Saten' (plus its allies) with them.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:27 PM

The problem is if these freaking lunatics in these small nations like NK, do something like send a bomb to Hawaii, all we will do, because we are a nation of bleeding heart maybe we can talk to them about it, pansy asses.

We can't respond and bomb their asses off the face of the earth, because that wouldn't be nice. That would be inhumane. We might hurt their feelings.

When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor the whole country got up and said they will pay for this, and they did, and so did many of our men and women in the fight to stop them.

Now, when our enemies kill thousands in this country, we invade another country some think was totally unrelated to the 9/11 bombings, get mired in BS, blame everyone for not seeing the signs, and our sons and daughters die, and no one pays but us.

I used to say that if someone did damage to our homeland we would all stand up and scream for revenge, but I think I was wrong.

We flew our flags for a few months, rallyed behind our leaders, mourned the dead, watched families grieve, and eventually let it fade away into the recesses of our minds, until the next televised Senate Sub Committee Meeting on the next revelation that someone else lied to us.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post
The problem is if these freaking lunatics in these small nations like NK, do something like send a bomb to Hawaii, all we will do, because we are a nation of bleeding heart maybe we can talk to them about it, pansy asses.

We can't respond and bomb their asses off the face of the earth, because that wouldn't be nice. That would be inhumane. We might hurt their feelings.

When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor the whole country got up and said they will pay for this, and they did, and so did many of our men and women in the fight to stop them.

Now, when our enemies kill thousands in this country, we invade another country some think was totally unrelated to the 9/11 bombings, get mired in BS, blame everyone for not seeing the signs, and our sons and daughters die, and no one pays but us.

I used to say that if someone did damage to our homeland we would all stand up and scream for revenge, but I think I was wrong.

We flew our flags for a few months, rallyed behind our leaders, mourned the dead, watched families grieve, and eventually let it fade away into the recesses of our minds, until the next televised Senate Sub Committee Meeting on the next revelation that someone else lied to us.
That's about the size of it I reckon. Sad as hell.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:36 PM

Uh-Huh... What a shame.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
Notifying China of what our intentions were isn't making them part of the decision making process; it's informing them of a decision already made. If the decision was made to hit NK with nuclear missiles in response to an attack on the USA, China couldn't prevent it but it could react if thousands of its people died because of it. It's not a question of how could they react, it's how would they most likely react.

It's interesting. I grew up at a time when nuclear missiles were thought of as a deterrent; if the deterrent failed they'd have not served their purpose. But now we could be up against our worst nightmare; trying to face off countries lead by people who as long as they think they have an escape route don't care what happens to their own countries or worse still, the genuine fruitcakes who don't care if they die as long as they take the 'Great Saten' (plus its allies) with them.
A deterrent only works on rational people. And once the cow's out of the barn, we're gonna play hell gettin' it back in.

I can see mushroom clouds in the future, always have. Nature of the beast.

Chas
Old 07-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post

Now, when our enemies kill thousands in this country, we invade another country some think was totally unrelated to the 9/11 bombings, .
Are you suggesting that Iraq had something to do with 911?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Resident octogenarian

The shame of it is that when those sons and daughters come home in a casket they sneak them in in the dead of night. Britain and Canada greet them at the airport, the route of the hearses are lined with people in silent honour, police and firemen stand and salute the cortege. We need to be reminded of the awful cost, at least Jim Lehrer silently shows their pictures at the end of his newscasts, Florence and me have simply sat and wept at the waste of beautiful young, and not so young, lives.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The shame of it is that when those sons and daughters come home in a casket they sneak them in in the dead of night. Britain and Canada greet them at the airport, the route of the hearses are lined with people in silent honour, police and firemen stand and salute the cortege. We need to be reminded of the awful cost, at least Jim Lehrer silently shows their pictures at the end of his newscasts, Florence and me have simply sat and wept at the waste of beautiful young, and not so young, lives.
I have seen that on the News Hour. It is just gut wrenching to see that. I get a lump the size of a golf ball in my throat when I see that.

Silently they lay in there graves, while their families are tormented by the grief of losing a loved one. God Bless them all.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Don't you mean the Neutron bomb?

The cobalt bomb was designed to eliminate all life on earth.

Anyone ever wonder if this was built and is classified?
The idea of the cobalt bomb was to do an air burst upwind of the area. The radioactive cobalt has a certain half-life so that by the time the wind has blown it over the area all the people eventually die but once the radio activity is gone the infrastructure is still there, albeit a bit dusty.