Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:51 PM

I have a couple of old professional model Wahls that are made here. They really are first rate. I also have a Conair made in China. It isn't very good at all.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:45 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Free trade is the rope that Marx spoke of.
Yes it is.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
WTF Wahl is now made in China.

I am looking at mine which bought recently. It reads made in China to Wahl's specification. I did not even realize that. Isn't Wahl Americana?

Now Wahl has tremendous goodwill which it built over many years and therefore can charge a premium price...it does not need to be built in China.
I recently shopped for an upgrade (Crayford style) focuser for one of my telescopes. I found a few different brands with wildly different prices. Anywhere from under $100 into the thousands. Not one of those brands stated that their products were made in the USA. I don't know, but it's possible that one or some could be. Anyhow, what I did notice is that most of them all look the same, regardless of name brand. So a-googlin' I went to various astronomy discussion sites and found out that there is a reason for that. It's because all of the ones that look the same, ARE the same. They are ALL made by a Chinese company called GSO. GSO markets these focusers under it's own name for about $200. Some of the brands run as high as $350. Why? Brand recognition and reputation. Because they can.

I've also found out that many of the big name telescopes out there are made in China by a company named "Synta".........same story. Popular names, American and European companies, wildly varied prices.........Same 'scopes, rebadged.

Yet, as we speak, there are people headed into their local Bed n' Bath to pay a premium price for some high end brand home appliance that was probably made in the same factory, in China, as the one next to it that costs 1/3 as much. But, it has a German, Italian or French sounding name or maybe a reputable American name, so it HAS to be better............Right?

P.T. Barnum was right.

The ripoff is huge and it's everywhere.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Area Man

By the way; I bought the GSO. Of course I did. No matter which one I chose or how much I paid for it (within my range), it would have come from GSO anyways. So, why reward some schmuck distributor for importing and gouging. F**k that.