Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:48 AM
Banned

As an expat always looking in to what's going on in my native US I have to stop and wonder as to how US democracy has evolved since the funding fathers. When I analyze the US system vs. the rest of the democratic world I end up thinking that the US is one of the most undemocratic democracies anywhere.

The United States has never been a direct democracy. It has always been a Representative Republic. I'll wait with patience while you make a case that it is less Democratic than Russia, China, North Korea, Venezuela, Cuba, and other Woke paradises in the world.

1. Elections in most democracies take between 4-16 weeks at the federal level; in the US it's an ongoing perpetual machine with billions of dollars spent and in turn billions of IOU's. There's enough corruption generated by 4-16 week elections so in the US it must be staggering. The US system encourages lobbyists to a higher degree than elsewhere in the world and this in turn narrows the scope of governance.

You won't get ANY argument there. The richest neighborhoods and the largest concentration of the super rich are on K Street in Washington, where the lobbyists ply their trade. They buy Congress, and Congress buys votes. And TV time is very expensive.

2. Americans hold dear their 2nd amendment right to bear arms but they forget to put it in context of when and why it was written. Face it folks the British ain't going to show up at your door with flintlocks. Neither will the Russians or Chinese.

Actually, Americans hold dear the ENTIRE United States Constitution. (Except for the Democrats who are illegally impeaching Donald Trump.) But I suggest you read the Second Amendment and show us where the word "Flintlock" is being used.

Without asking which country you expatriated to, I gotta ask if you're truly happy. President Trump and most of America didn't begin building that wall to keep people IN this country. Half the world wants to come here.

Where you're living now, (and again you don't have to say where) are you enjoying freedom? How expensive is it to live? Does the tax laws leave you enough money to buy a house? How much does gasoline cost?

Last edited by Reason10; 02-12-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Oh there are major major reforms needed but there's no clear and easy way to get them done. The red states can and will block progressive constitutional amendments.
My brother keeps claiming that enough governors will get together and force a Constitutional Convention, where they will have one item on the docket: Term limits for Congress.

Presidential term limits were achieved through a constitutional convention.

I tried to remind him that the 22nd Amendment was ratified from 1947 to 1951. And it was a completely different world back then. There was no golden age of television, no cable news networks, no internet, no Facebook, etc. I say good luck to ANYONE who wants to bring about any more changes to the Constitution.

As a "red stater" and a conservative (which makes up about 76 percent of America) the only amendment I would make to the constitution would be term limits for Congress, simply because the lobbyists on K Street have way too much power, funneling money to incumbents and getting rich on the back end.

And even that sounds unreasonable because every two years (House) and every six years (Senate) there are term limits elections in every state.

I am curious as to what would be so important to you liberals that you would be willing to bypass Congress to enact into law. We already know the things Biden has chose to bypass even a Democrat Congress.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:06 AM
Ready

Good morning, Reason. You didn't pick nations that would go on many people's lists of 'woike democracies.' Denmark is considered a very good example these days though. Why don't you assess how we stack up against Denmark?

Is the US more or less democratic that Bhutan? That's my idea of a 'woke paradise.' They make policy based on Gross National Happiness. And they have had exactly one (1) COVID virus death.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...2Cx3fXkdt-_aZU

Last edited by donquixote99; 02-12-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:23 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason10 View Post
My brother keeps claiming that enough governors will get together and force a Constitutional Convention, where they will have one item on the docket: Term limits for Congress.

Presidential term limits were achieved through a constitutional convention.

I tried to remind him that the 22nd Amendment was ratified from 1947 to 1951. And it was a completely different world back then. There was no golden age of television, no cable news networks, no internet, no Facebook, etc. I say good luck to ANYONE who wants to bring about any more changes to the Constitution.

As a "red stater" and a conservative (which makes up about 76 percent of America) the only amendment I would make to the constitution would be term limits for Congress, simply because the lobbyists on K Street have way too much power, funneling money to incumbents and getting rich on the back end.

And even that sounds unreasonable because every two years (House) and every six years (Senate) there are term limits elections in every state.

I am curious as to what would be so important to you liberals that you would be willing to bypass Congress to enact into law. We already know the things Biden has chose to bypass even a Democrat Congress.
There has not been a constitutional convention since the original. Your info on the 22nd amendment is faulty.

I hardly speak for any collective of 'liberals,' let alone your conception of them, but I would like to see amendments to 1) abolish the electoral college system in favor of direct popular nationwide election of the President, and 2) make the over-representation of empty land in the Senate less extreme (by any of several possible schemes, we can discuss). This is not a matter of bypassing Congress, but of accomplishing things beyond the constitutional power of Congress.

Oh, we might straighten out that pesky 'Militia Protection Amendment,' you know, the 2nd one. On the history, it was clearly a mistake, Militias have just been trouble.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
[COLOR="Navy"]
Where you're living now, (and again you don't have to say where) are you enjoying freedom? How expensive is it to live? Does the tax laws leave you enough money to buy a house? How much does gasoline cost?
I've lived in Canada since 1976, now in a suburb of Toronto, a city that has immigrants from 226 different countries... the most international city in the world. I own my home free and clear, my wife and I travel extensively and gas costs $3.24 a US gallon after adjusting for exchange rates. Retired one year ago but when I was working 44% of my income went to taxes: which included federal, provincial, property and 13% retail taxes. BTW minimum wage is $15.

Unlike most Americans who've never left their state I've defended the US and most of it's policies throughout southern Europe, north Africa, the Balkans and yes, Canada. I am proud to be an American.

As for Trump, look at the man and his past and be thankful he's not around for another 4 years.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Actually, Americans hold dear the ENTIRE United States Constitution. (Except for the Democrats who are illegally impeaching Donald Trump.)
Oh brother
Old 02-12-2021, 12:53 PM
Admin

76%? What orfice did you pull that out of, Biff?

Show your work.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:16 PM
Ready

Funny, Mr X was engaged in a perfectly nice way in this thread, and he dropped it like a bad habit. He just came here to have fun slapping the libs around.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:49 PM
Banned

I've lived in Canada since 1976, now in a suburb of Toronto, a city that has immigrants from 226 different countries... the most international city in the world. I own my home free and clear, my wife and I travel extensively and gas costs $3.24 a US gallon after adjusting for exchange rates. Retired one year ago but when I was working 44% of my income went to taxes: which included federal, provincial, property and 13% retail taxes. BTW minimum wage is $15.

I've tried to tell some of my fellow Floridians (the ones who become totally helpless in what little cold snaps we get here) to just try to imagine living in Toronto in January. They just look at me in awe. But I tell them that in that oppressive cold and endless blizzard conditions, people move about and conduct business every day like it's normal.

Florida just passed a $15 an hour minimum wage through the direct referendum system. (Our legislature isn't nearly as stupid as to pass such an idiotic law.) So stupid people will be laid off from menial jobs and not get hired in situations where their skills are not worth $15 an hour. And people EVEN IN FLORIDA have trouble understanding that.

Unlike most Americans who've never left their state I've defended the US and most of it's policies throughout southern Europe, north Africa, the Balkans and yes, Canada. I am proud to be an American.

Well, technically, you are a North American. As far as most Americans having never left their state, I'm not sure how accurate a statement that is. I'm not saying it isn't true, because it might be. I'm just not sure. Personally I've been to Quebec, Mexico, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Grand Caymans, and the Bahamas. I enjoyed Mexico probably the most (probably because of the beer) but I'd be an idiot if I ever thought of living there.

As for Trump, look at the man and his past and be thankful he's not around for another 4 years.

When you compare Trump's past to that of serial rapists like Bill KKKlinton, or serial pedophiles and Nazis like Jim Crow Joe, or incompetent community organizers like Obama, Trump wins on every count. But let's just not talk about the past. Let's judge these men SOLELY on their accomplishments. So far, Trump has given America the greatest economy, four years of PEACE in the world with no new wars (a FIRST for both parties) and a level of patriotism not seen since the Reagan years.

America is about to take it up the ass with this Nazi who stole the election.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
Oh brother
Get someone with an education to read the Constitution to you.