Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Admin

S**t's gettin' better, for some...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...y.html?hpid=z1

"The research from the St. Louis Fed shows that households had accumulated net worth totaling $66 trillion at the end of last year. After adjusting for inflation and population growth, the bank found that meant families on average have only made up 45 percent of the decline in their net worth since the peak of the boom in 2007." WaPo
Old 05-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Area Man

That's not too good, Bob. But, I would wager that there's quite a few dragging that number down because they fell for all of the negativity and fearmongering. Yanked any investments they had off the market for fear of the "second dip", stopped looking for a job because some guy on the radio tells them there are none and making NO effort of starting a business because they have it in their heads that it "...just can't be done until that commie coon is out of the Whitehouse." Don't tell me they don't exist, because I've met them.

BTW, these types invariably vote for the "party of self reliance" and despise "whiners".

Dave
Old 05-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Area Man

Point #2.

What "........boom of 2007"? I don't recall any "booms" of any sort in 2007. Do you?
Old 05-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Point #2.

What "........boom of 2007"? I don't recall any "booms" of any sort in 2007. Do you?
I think they're talking about home values which really went into free fall in '07 from their overheated and unrealistic values.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Admin

More from the WaPo article.
"In addition, most of the improvement was due to gains in the stock market, according to the report, primarily benefiting wealthy families. That means the recovery for most households was even weaker.
“A conclusion that the financial damage of the crisis and recession largely has been repaired is not justified,” the report stated."
Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The stock market is usually the first to show gains.

There's other good (ish) news out there, the former hottest housing markets have turned back into sellers markets.

Tough row to hoe.

Pete
Old 05-31-2013, 12:17 PM

Its the "new normal".
Old 05-31-2013, 12:28 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Gosh I hope not. I see the EU hit 12.2% unemployment. At least India is booming.

Something I picked up a couple weeks ago - Zuckerman predicted that a large EU country will default within the next 12 months. Spain? France? Scary stuff.

Pete
Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Admin

Austerity is working so well for them, eh? I just don't unnerstand why Uhmerica doesn't follow their lead. We need some riots to put down.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Gosh I hope not. I see the EU hit 12.2% unemployment. At least India is booming.

Something I picked up a couple weeks ago - Zuckerman predicted that a large EU country will default within the next 12 months. Spain? France? Scary stuff.

Pete
India's booming by comparison to the US economy (which is a sad statement), but even they may be slowing down: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22726279

France just adjusted their labor laws to become just a bit more "US - like". Of course, the way we're going, US labor laws and France labor laws might pass each other like two trucks going in opposite directions on the interstate.