Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:57 PM

Test your Morals and Justice

Here is a link off the Bill Moyers new show there is a test Morals and Justice.

Thought I would pass it along.

http://billmoyers.com/content/what-d...your-politics/

http://www.yourmorals.org/express_welcome_mfq.php

http://embed.billmoyers.com/survey/index.php

This is my results...

Could not get the justice results to copy to page the results are ,

Comprehensive Justice Survey: Results The questionnaire you just completed measures your attitudes towards crime and punishment; the graphs below let you compare your results to others. Your results are in green, the average results for people who identify themselves as liberal are in blue, and the average for those who identify as conservative are in red. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ = Your results = Liberals = Conservatives How *traditional* are your attitudes on crime and punishment?

Traditional Subscale.... 4.4 ....3 .... 4.4

How *progressive* are your attitudes on crime and punishment? Progressive Subscale ....5.9.... 5.4.... 4.3

Barney
Attached Images
File Type: png surveyresults_graph_libcon.php.png (4.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Oerets; 02-05-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:00 PM

IMO,

This "TEST" is so vague that no one could objectively answer the questions.

There are so many variables in crime, that cutting off a finger might be acceptable to a child molester that murderers his victims, to a scofflaw with unpaid traffic tickets, where this would be insane to even consider.

So each question would depend on the crime that the taker of this test inserted into the question.

Bill
Old 02-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
IMO,

There are so many variables in crime, that cutting off a finger might be acceptable to a child molester that murderers his victims, to a scofflaw with unpaid traffic tickets, where this would be insane to even consider.

So each question would depend on the crime that the taker of this test inserted into the question.

Bill
As one who recently emphasized the importance of being able to see shades of gray, I have to agree with you that the questions were far too vague to give an accurate response. For example, IMHO, the nature of the crime has much to do with the possibility of rehabilitation.

There are probably some areas where I come in on the "conservative" side of the equation. I do believe that crimes are an affront to our collective morals - but I don't think that some things that have been deemed criminal should be. For example, making drugs illegal can have side effects that lead users into criminal activity that might not have occurred but for the extent to which the illicit nature of the drugs grossly inflates their price.

On the other hand (no pun intended) cutting off a finger is not justified under any circumstances. I can comfortably opine that the Supreme Court - even one heavily leaning right - would find such a punishment to violate the Eighth Amendment. I don't think that as a civilized people we want to resort to the methods of the Mafia.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-05-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
On the other hand (no pun intended) cutting off a finger is not justified under any circumstances. I can comfortably opine that the Supreme Court - even one heavily leaning right - would find such a punishment to violate the Eighth Amendment. I don't think that as a civilized people we want to resort to the methods of the Mafia.

Regards,

D-Ray

And I agree with you D-Ray,

But it was one of the questions.

I would rather amputate all of a person that would rape and murder a child, capital punishment. Also the recidivism rate on child molesters is very, very high. Most psychiatrist do not believe there is any treatment that will make them safe in our society.

And the Mafia breaks fingers, the Japanese Mafia, the Yakuza, demand fingers as payment as compensation for failure. And the member that dishonored his Master must cut off his own finger, wrap it up ceremonially, and present it to his Master.

Bill

Last edited by Big_Bill; 02-05-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
And I agree with you D-Ray,

But it was one of the questions.

I would rather amputate all of a person that would rape and murder a child, capital punishment. Also the recidivism rate on child molesters is very, very high. Most psychiatrist do not believe there is any treatment that will make them safe in our society.

And the Mafia breaks fingers, the Japanese Mafia, the Yakuza, demand fingers as payment as compensation for failure. And the member that dishonored his Master must cut off his own finger, wrap it up ceremonially, and present it to his Master.

Bill
Well neither one of those thing is very polite.

Some would suggest that imprisoning a child molester with the general prison population is the equivalent of a death sentence. Perhaps a facility dedicated to those who have engaged in sexual crimes would be in order. Still the shades of gray exist. Should a seventeen or even an eighteen year old convicted of statutory rape of a fifteen year old share a cell with a violent rapist? Don't think so.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-05-2012, 09:31 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Well neither one of those thing is very polite.

Some would suggest that imprisoning a child molester with the general prison population is the equivalent of a death sentence. Perhaps a facility dedicated to those who have engaged in sexual crimes would be in order. Still the shades of gray exist. Should a seventeen or even an eighteen year old convicted of statutory rape of a fifteen year old share a cell with a violent rapist? Don't think so.

Regards,

D-Ray

Gee Mr. D-Ray,

Ounce again you didn't bother to read my post, I specifically stated a child rapist that murdered his victims.

Bill
Old 02-05-2012, 10:01 PM

I took the tests, and also thought they were so open ended that it was imposible to really answer clearaly.

Funny thing, on the morals test, I scored lower then either liberals or conservatives. With regards to the justice one. I was traditionally liberal and progressivly conservative - go figure that out.

BUt, like I said, most of hte questions were either very pointed are wide open.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
IMO,

Bill
Revenge is not justice. And an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Gee Mr. D-Ray,

Ounce again you didn't bother to read my post, I specifically stated a child rapist that murdered his victims.

Bill
Didn't dispute you there, thought we were getting close to common ground. I just expanded on the subject matter. Now, with or without the murder, there have been those who have advocated castration as a consequence for that particular deviant behavior. However, and eye for an eye went out with the Old Testament.

With respect to the imposition of the death penalty in any instance, I say no. It's not that I don't understand the visceral need for retribution, or even for the purpose of closure. And perhaps it is even understandable that a loved one of a victim would act out of grief and a sense of vengeance to kill the killer.

I can't, however, accept that a civilized society would take one who is in custody and disabled from again performing the type of acts for which he is being punished, and take his life. We define murder as killing with "malice aforethought." When the state makes the decision to end the life of a person, it is acting with "malice aforethought." I would simply hope that our institutionalized justice would operate on a higher level.

Speaking of shades of gray, an ALMOST indistinguishable decision takes place when the government targets individuals with drones. The important distinction is, IMHO, that the targets of the drone strikes are still at large, and continue to pose a real threat to our citizens and others, whereas, the convicted murderer is in custody and subject to restraint against doing further harm.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-06-2012, 09:32 AM

I must admit the test seemed hard to understand. Not having a degree in Psychology or Human behavior I would not know what the writers of the test were after. But most of the test on behavior are more then a little cryptic in their presentation after all.

Just thought it was funny how I scored. The results were not what I expected them to be.

Seeing how I scored wanted to pass it along for others to try out. I must say the results did make me think some on what it showed.

More in line with society I guess, not really in one camp or the other 100% so to speak.

Barney