Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Loyal Opposition

I'll stick up for New Yorkers, at least the ones I have met on the streets. In our first trip to New York as a family, we had "tourist" written on our foreheads. Nevertheless, everyone was extremely accommodating about which train to take, what to see, what to avoid. We had some pleasant conversations about lifestyle, the Yankees, etc. We were especially touched, however, by some of the sad stories told by the gentlemen walking from one car to the next on the subway.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I'll stick up for New Yorkers, at least the ones I have met on the streets. In our first trip to New York as a family, we had "tourist" written on our foreheads. Nevertheless, everyone was extremely accommodating about which train to take, what to see, what to avoid. We had some pleasant conversations about lifestyle, the Yankees, etc. We were especially touched, however, by some of the sad stories told by the gentlemen walking from one car to the next on the subway.

Regards,

D-Ray
I've had similar experiences in Manhattan (along with some less memorable ones). OTOH, I've spent a fair amount of time on Long Island on business. Lots of pushy Guidos up that way.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I don't get it.

Now, I've been to France and I know how they are, smelly and arrogant.

Dave
On the insistence of my college roommate, a Danish consuls son, I agreed to let a French exchange student stay with us for a couple of months. He left, but his stench remained and eventually caused us to toss the couch. Oh, and he was also an arrogant prick that never bothered to thank us for giving him a place to stay for a couple of months. We'd go out to bars looking for girls and he always thought of himself as some sort of master romantic. Every time I see that cartoon with the skunk, I'm reminded of the episode. OTOH, the country is beautiful and has a rich history, great food, and pretty women.

Last edited by bhunter; 01-05-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
On the insistence of my college roommate, a Danish consuls son, I agreed to let a French exchange student stay with us for a couple of months. He left, but his stench remained and eventually caused us to toss the couch. Oh, and he was also an arrogant prick that never bothered to thank us for giving him a place to stay for a couple of months. We'd go out to bars looking for girls and he always thought of himself as some sort of master romantic. Every time I see that cartoon with the skunk, I'm reminded of the episode. OTOH, the country is beautiful and has a rich history, great food, and pretty women.
You roomed with Pepe LePewe! LOL!!!

Dave
Old 01-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Resident octogenarian

There are two French peoples, the Parisians and everyone else. As for downing the Brits women, any here watch BBC news on PBS? That Katy is downright gorgeous. Where as the one who rubbed her butt against me on the Metro leading to La Defense looked like an unmade bed.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I loved freedom fries. When we argue with the French, it's a family fight.

Dang frogs

Btw, what did they call French toast?

Pete
Old 01-05-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I loved freedom fries. When we argue with the French, it's a family fight.

Dang frogs

Btw, what did they call French toast?

Pete
I donno.

What do the Germans use to make kraut?

Chas
Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What do the Germans use to make kraut?

Chas
Dunno, but the best kraut in the world isn't made by the Germans, but by the French (choucroute garnie, made in the Alsace).

Tremendous stuff. I make it at home as well. If anybody is interested in the secret to this stuff, let me know.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
New Yorkers make Parisians seem overtly pleasant and accommodating.
A lot of those New Yorkers are really foreigners.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I don't get it.

The French have only given up, what? Twice?--In major conflicts? And one of those was one WE failed in as well. Vietnam. Remember that?

And then one considers the undeniable and significant contribution they made in our revolution......Really. I mean, would we have won without them? I seriously doubt it.

Now, I've been to France and I know how they are, smelly and arrogant.

But, still. I don't understand the downright hatred that I see coming from some people.

What gives?

Dave
I am sorry, and do deeply appreciate the great contribution France played in the American Revolution, but France has been a looser at wars:

The Complete Military History of France

***Please note that the Web designer is not American and blaming the Web designer for America's history is illogical. Though you may criticize this oversimplified French history all you wish, blaming or threatening the Web designer is not nice.

We are still accepting submissions from history researchers.
Last update: May 4, 2005.

- Gallic Wars
- Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian. [Or at this time in history, a Roman -ed.]

- Hundred Years War
- Mostly lost, saved at last by female schizophrenic who inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare; "France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman." Sainted.

- Italian Wars
- Lost. France becomes the first and only country to ever lose two wars when fighting Italians.

- Wars of Religion
- France goes 0-5-4 against the Huguenots

- Thirty Years War
- France is technically not a participant, but manages to get invaded anyway. Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the other participants started ignoring her.

- War of Revolution
- Tied. Frenchmen take to wearing red flowerpots as chapeaux.

- The Dutch War
- Tied

- War of the Augsburg League/King William's War/French and Indian War
- Lost, but claimed as a tie. Three ties in a row induces deluded Frogophiles the world over to label the period as the height of French military power.

- War of the Spanish Succession
- Lost. The War also gave the French their first taste of a Marlborough, which they have loved every since.

- American Revolution
- In a move that will become quite familiar to future Americans, France claims a win even though the English colonists saw far more action. This is later known as "de Gaulle Syndrome", and leads to the Second Rule of French Warfare; "France only wins when America does most of the fighting."

- French Revolution
- Won, primarily due the fact that the opponent was also French.

- The Napoleonic Wars
- Lost. Temporary victories (remember the First Rule!) due to leadership of a Corsican, who ended up being no match for a British footwear designer.

- The Franco-Prussian War
- Lost. Germany first plays the role of drunk Frat boy to France's ugly girl home alone on a Saturday night.

- World War I
- Tied and on the way to losing, France is saved by the United States [Entering the war late -ed.]. Thousands of French women find out what it's like to not only sleep with a winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein." Sadly, widespread use of condoms by American forces forestalls any improvement in the French bloodline.

- World War II
- Lost. Conquered French liberated by the United States and Britain just as they finish learning the Horst Wessel Song.

- War in Indochina
- Lost. French forces plead sickness; take to bed with the Dien Bien Flu

- Algerian Rebellion
- Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a western army by a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades, and produces the First Rule of Muslim Warfare; "We can always beat the French." This rule is identical to the First Rules of the Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese and Esquimaux.

- War on Terrorism
- France, keeping in mind its recent history, surrenders to Germans and Muslims just to be safe. Attempts to surrender to Vietnamese ambassador fail after he takes refuge in a McDonald's.

The question for any country silly enough to count on the French should not be "Can we count on the French?", but rather "How long until France collapses?"

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you do is leave behind a lot of noisy baggage."

Or, better still, the quote from last week's Wall Street Journal: "They're there when they need you."

I hold no animosity toward the French, and the deepest appreciation for their help during the American Revolution, however, the facts are the facts !

And I do believe that the aid that the French gave to the American Colonies were more influenced by their hate of the British, than their love for the American Colonies, remember the Franco-American Naval War ! But I am thankful for their help none the less.

Bill