Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:49 AM

How much should we pay?

I'm just curious. There is a huge movement in this country to lower taxes. I assume the people attending these Tea Parties have done some research to back up their claim that taxes are too high. So what is the figure they've come up with? How much should we be paying? At what rate of taxes would they say "that's perfect"?

Or, do they not know and are they a bunch of hypocrites who hate America and are only motivated by personal greed?

So which is it? Show me the figures that say lower taxes are best for my country and I'll be out at the next local Tea Party flying a flag and yelling with the crowd. But absent any figures, I'm going to call BS.

Put our Country First. What is best for America? That's what I want.

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 12-01-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Resident octogenarian

Ed you already know they are hypocrits, this country has the lowest taxes in the world. The problem is simple greed.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Ed you already know they are hypocrits, this country has the lowest taxes in the world. The problem is simple greed.
That is my belief, but I stand by with an open mind. I'm sure one of our Tea Pary attending friends will step up with the math soon so we can make an objective decision. I do believe that many of them love America as much as I and I'm sure they would not rush to a decision about such an important thing as funding our government witout first working out how it should be done.

Take care,

Ed

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 12-01-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:49 PM

I'm going to tell it like it is, IMO,based on my own dealings.

Yes, we damn sure do need health care reform, but what I'm to define as health care reform is not what alot of folks may see fit. Yes, I want to see a change, but not the way other may like.

I have health issues myself, but I'm not going to get into that. I will use my daughter as an example though, and here goes.

When our daughter ( age 6, going on 7 at the time ) broke both bones in her arm playing in a softball game was treated like a piece of shit, thats when I decided our system has went strait to hell. We do, and always have had insurance that we pay dearly each month for but that didn't matter. When we took our daughter to the ER with both bones broken in her arm, one being through the skin and her arm was bent 90 degree between her wrist and elbo, she was treated with no respect ... even though we handed the hosp our insurance card and ''paid up front our 100.00 copay'' for using the ER.

Am I pissed that we pay a 100.00 co-pay if we must use the ER? Hell no. I do not have a problem with that.

But what I do have a problem with is the fact that ''we by-God paid for service'' just to be pushed to the side to someone who couldn't speak a damn word of English, someone who had no fucking ID of any kind, and this someone had no money nor insurance. It was a girl in her mid 20's that ''walked in the ER'' and a nurse came out in the hall to translate what the girl was trying to say to the lady behind the desk. The nurse said the girl had slipped and fell on her tail bone and she thinks she may have broke her tail bone.

OK, so the doctor has our daughter in the hall of the ER pulling and twisting her arm bones back strait .. kid is screaming in the ER hallway beside an open room full of people as he's re-setting her arm and then casting it before walking away.... all while the fucking Mexican gets X-rayed before our daughter and gets a private room while our daughter is treated like and animal in front of everyone ( even though our daughter was paid for up front and was there nearly an hour before the Mexican came in with no ID, money nor insurance .. and needed a translater to boot ).

I raised hell with the ER doctor for not taking care of our daughter in private rather than in front of everyone in the hallways double doors that everyone is walking in and out of to and from the ER from outside. He flat told me that the hosp don't make the laws, but must follow them and they must admit the hispanics into the ER with out a thing.

I told him we paid, and our daughter shoulda been in a room for medical service of that nature and not treated in front of a waiting room in the hallway. You know what he said to me? Well lemme tell ya what he said to me. He said , '' sir, I don't like it a bit better than you do, but the fact is they must be treated very well by law, and they can also sue us easier than you can ''.

My point is that we should not be spending a G-damn penny in taxes to take care of ANYONE other than tax paying English speaking citizens !!!! And ME, MYSELF AND I do not support anything otherwise!!!

Last edited by hillbilly; 12-01-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post

My point is that we should not be spending a G-damn penny in taxes to take care of ANYONE other than tax paying English speaking citizens !!!! And ME, MYSELF AND I do not support anything otherwise!!!
That's one hateful post.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:17 PM

Uhhhhhh, maybe I missed it. I was asking about tax rates. How much we should pay and such. Did I miss...? Uh. Nevermind. I knew there was no answer to my question. "Fuck everyone, give me more and screw the rest. Anarchy now!"
Old 12-01-2009, 04:24 PM

Yeah, but he has a point. We simply cannot continue to provide basically free health care for every illegal alien (Read:"Mexican") who comes over here, drops a baby & is therefore entitled to all the rights & privaleges of an American. It is simply bankrupting smaller, rural counties. And let's not even think about the crime problems these byrds cause-My local Sheriff's Dept told me they don't really investigate/do anything about "illegal" crimes unless there's significant property damage or injury. They're a small dept, & simply don't have the resources to do otherwise. I believe in helping other people, but not to the extent of hurting yrself in the process.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Yeah, but he has a point. We simply cannot continue to provide basically free health care for every illegal alien (Read:"Mexican") who comes over here, drops a baby & is therefore entitled to all the rights & privaleges of an American. It is simply bankrupting smaller, rural counties. And let's not even think about the crime problems these byrds cause-My local Sheriff's Dept told me they don't really investigate/do anything about "illegal" crimes unless there's significant property damage or injury. They're a small dept, & simply don't have the resources to do otherwise. I believe in helping other people, but not to the extent of hurting yrself in the process.
Maybe he does have a point. Maybe you do to. I don't want to trivialize or minimize that point. Immigration is an important issue facing America- I completely agree that something should be done.

So, what tax rate would be fair? I don't want to offend anyone, but this isn't an aswer to my quesiton. This is "I don't have any answer so I'm going to change the subject with an emotional plea".

So, 40%? 46%? 38%? 12%?

The point I'm making is that people are out protesting something that they have no actual thought about and they are being misled by people who know better. And it is not in the best interest of our country. If people are out protesting the action of our government claiming their paying taxes that are too high, it is appropriate to ask them what taxes should be, right? So how much?

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 12-01-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:01 PM

Good post about the ER's Hillbilly. That is happening far too often and is what
will start happening at all medical clinics if treatment is free and why this
healthcare reform should be defeated.
I dont think those "teaparties" are so much a protest over what the tax rates
are currently but what Obama has promised they may be. Its more of a
protest against the current environment for trying to generate an income
against competition from third world countries. That and a government
growing at a pace we cant sustain with current tax rates and revenue.
Write a check for 30 or 40 thousand to the IRS and tell me you trust that
they will spend it wisely.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchetJack View Post
I dont think those "teaparties" are so much a protest over what the tax rates
are currently but what Obama has promised they may be.
Specifically? What exactly is it he promised that they are protesting? And I stand by my question- if they think Obama's answer (whatever answer to whatever question it is they are protesting) is wrong, I assume they have the right answer. What is that answer and where is the math to back it up? And is it an answer they reached in the best interest of the country, or are they just selfish?