Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

In a nutshell, RF radiation from cell phones has no proven health effects.

Some health and safety interest groups have interpreted certain reports to suggest that wireless device use may be linked to cancer and other illnesses, posing potentially greater risks for children than adults. While these assertions have gained increased public attention, currently no scientific evidence establishes a causal link between wireless device use and cancer or other illnesses. Those evaluating the potential risks of using wireless devices agree that more and longer-term studies should explore whether there is a better basis for RF safety standards than is currently used. The FCC closely monitors all of these study results. However, at this time, there is no basis on which to establish a different safety threshold than our current requirements.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-d...ealth-concerns
http://hps.org/hpspublications/artic...radiation.html
Old 07-10-2014, 06:14 PM

I remember we were told we couldn't sit too close to the color tv as it gave off some sort of something bad for you and it would be bad for the eyes.

Then when the microwave oven came there were warnings about the radiation and a warning for people with pace makers.

My body has received so much radiation this year, I don't thing a few little cell phone rays are going to be a problem for me.

It's probably a bigger health risk to stand on the corner when a city bus goes by spewing black smoke out the back.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
I remember we were told we couldn't sit too close to the color tv as it gave off some sort of something bad for you and it would be bad for the eyes.

Then when the microwave oven came there were warnings about the radiation and a warning for people with pace makers.

My body has received so much radiation this year, I don't thing a few little cell phone rays are going to be a problem for me.

It's probably a bigger health risk to stand on the corner when a city bus goes by spewing black smoke out the back.
I still think TV messes up my eyes, and I stand away from the microwave when it is in operation.

I am just not comfortable with cell phone close to my brain.

I admit I am irrational when it comes to cancer and its causes.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:52 PM

Microwave oven use RF to cook. I do not trust the the industry to tell me the truth.

RF energy does have effects on tissue. Whether it effects a majority of the users will be seen. Just remember cigarettes were once considered safe.

On cancer I read a study where what ones grandparents or past generations did is carried thru the genes and effects later generations. Illnesses like Diabetes cancer lung heart obesity were caused by the life styles of our ancestors. Somehow the DNA is effected.

I keep my flip phone without a camera BTW away as much as possible and calls to short ones.

Barney
Old 07-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Not all radiation is ionizing radiation (the bad stuff). RF waves do damage by causing things to cook (like a microwave oven does). A cell phone positioned at your ear doesn't have near the energy to heat up your brain, much less your ear. Being outside on a sunny day, flying in an airplane or getting a dental X-Ray has far more potential for harm.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Your cell phone is still transmitting RF, regardless if you are talking on it or texting, or surfing the net. Even when the display is off and it's sitting in your pocket, RF is transmitting keep alive signals back to the tower.
Only when in airplane mode, or with the battery removed, is it no longer a transmitter.
Yeah, we know.

isn't the conversation about the waves being next to you head though?

Are we also talking about ball cancer?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Not all radiation is ionizing radiation (the bad stuff). RF waves do damage by causing things to cook (like a microwave oven does). A cell phone positioned at your ear doesn't have near the energy to heat up your brain, much less your ear. Being outside on a sunny day, flying in an airplane or getting a dental X-Ray has far more potential for harm.
Ayup. Much ado about nothing.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:00 PM

No, the article cited by the OP is about radiation health hazards in general.
While there's no debate about ionizing radiation heating up and cooking cells, basically due to the cells vibrating which causes friction, the debate continues regarding the effects of non-ionizing radiation, which some believe cause changes in cells via a mechanism not yet understood.
Personally, I'm skeptical there's enough of an issue to warrant concern. Then again, history is chock full of examples where we assumed something relatively safe- lead, asbestos, DDT, dioxin...
Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
No, the article cited by the OP is about radiation health hazards in general.
While there's no debate about ionizing radiation heating up and cooking cells, basically due to the cells vibrating which causes friction, the debate continues regarding the effects of non-ionizing radiation, which some believe cause changes in cells via a mechanism not yet understood.
Personally, I'm skeptical there's enough of an issue to warrant concern. Then again, history is chock full of examples where we assumed something relatively safe- lead, asbestos, DDT, dioxin...
You got it exactly backwards. Non-ionizing radiation, which RF radiation is, harms tissue via heating it. Ionizing radiation (the bad stuff from nuclear bombs/power) causes cancer by causing cellular mutations and is very well understood. It has been studied extensively since Hiroshima and is probably better understood than nearly every other industrial hazard, including thousands of industrial chemicals.

FWIW, I did coursework on radiation hazards/protection at the Harvard School of Public Health and worked over twenty years in and around defense nuclear facilities.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
history is chock full of examples where we assumed something relatively safe- lead, asbestos, DDT, dioxin...
Repeat that Wasil!