Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I am not sure what a racist is Pete.
Really? Then why did you suggest I was one.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Read what I have posted until you "get it'"
The "it" being bored to death?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Really? Then why did you suggest I was one.
Because part of the dogma you preach comes from racism. You know quacks like a duck then...

Also, if I was not clear. I do know what some racism is.

When someone targets a person just because he is black consciously it is racism. When we do it without consciously realizing we are then I am not sure if that is categorized the same.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
The "it" being bored to death?
If you are too bored to understand such a simple cause and effect then it is likely lack of intercultural curiosity that is the problem.

That of course is considered a positive trait on the right.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Loyal Opposition

Defending another against charges of racism does not, IMHO, amount to racism. There are strongly held feelings here, but they don't have to devolve to personal attacks.

It is difficult to avoid the racial element in this turn of events. Nevertheless, it will be very difficult to establish that Trayvon's race was the proximate cause of his death. There is evidence of racist comments by Zimmerman and there are denials of racism by Zimmerman. The evidence I have seen is that Trayvon's race is a but for cause of his death. It seems to me that his appearance is at least part of what raised Zimmerman's suspicion.

Undoubtedly, Zimmerman's possession of a firearm was a proximate cause of Trayvon's death. There are all sorts of reasons why this should not have happened. It will be up to the courts, and hopefully a jury, to decide whether the ultimate reason the death occurred is a violation of the law.

There is plenty of room for reasonable minds to disagree here. No need for hatin'

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Resident octogenarian

BTW the comments about him being part of "Neighbourhood Watch" I seem to recall in some of the earlies dispatches that he was not associated with them at all. Tends to make him look more of a vigilante. We were with NW back in Ottawa and they had some pretty solid rules.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Defending another against charges of racism does not, IMHO, amount to racism. There are strongly held feelings here, but they don't have to devolve to personal attacks.

It is difficult to avoid the racial element in this turn of events. Nevertheless, it will be very difficult to establish that Trayvon's race was the proximate cause of his death. There is evidence of racist comments by Zimmerman and there are denials of racism by Zimmerman. The evidence I have seen is that Trayvon's race is a but for cause of his death. It seems to me that his appearance is at least part of what raised Zimmerman's suspicion.

Undoubtedly, Zimmerman's possession of a firearm was a proximate cause of Trayvon's death. There are all sorts of reasons why this should not have happened. It will be up to the courts, and hopefully a jury, to decide whether the ultimate reason the death occurred is a violation of the law.

There is plenty of room for reasonable minds to disagree here. No need for hatin'

Regards,

D-Ray
Let's be clear I never called my friend Whell a racist and later said that I am not ever sure what racism is other than attacking someone premeditatively just because they are of another race.

This is what I said to Whell, "I have a real problem with you and others rush to "keep an open mind" because the kid was black and you love guns.

Clearly and innocent life was taken but you can't escape you NRA mantra of guns are good and it had to be the young black kids fault somehow."

and I stick by it.

Whell replied, "

"I need more people like you who have no idea who I am and what I stand for to call me a gun loving racist."

So as we can see he accused me of calling him something I did not.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Let's be clear I never called my friend Whell a racist and later said that I am not ever sure what racism is other than attacking someone premeditatedly just because they are of another race.

This is what I said to Whell, "I have a real problem with you and others rush to "keep an open mind" because the kid was black and you love guns.

Clearly and innocent life was taken but you can't escape you NRA mantra of guns are good and it had to be the young black kids fault somehow."

and I stick by it.

Whell replied, "

"I need more people like you who have no idea who I am and what I stand for to call me a gun loving racist."

So as we can see he accused me of calling him something I did not.

Well noonereal,

Remember: GUNS DON NOT KILL PEOPLE !! PEOPLE THAT WEAR HOODIES AND SHOOT GUNS DO !!

And believe me when I say, anyone wearing a hoody pulled up over his head, is a suspicious character in my book. Nothing racial there at all, unless I am anti hoody
Old 05-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Admin

One criticism, there's a lot of ipso facto being indulged in and by. Let's ramp it back and examine what is the issue. There's a young man dead through apparently no fault of his own.(that is my opinion) Argue respectfully and we can get somewhere. Argue ad hominem and there are plenty of good people who'll be glad to piss on your shoes. Let's argue fairly or why bother?

Conjecture is a way of floating a theory and seeing if it holds water, SOP. In my mind.

We will see a trial and I wish wholeheartedly that it's conducted fairly for all concerned.

Warning that riots would be likely if justice isn't served is not advocating riots or condoning them. I lived in LA and saw the aftermath of the first riots back in the sixties here and it looked like Berlin in 1945. I don't wish that on anyone. I don't think any of you here are of that persuasion otherwise I would be long gone not just gone fishin'.

We're all big boys and girls and a little heckling is actually fun and good for soul. Let's back off of the heavy duty personal attacks and come here and do what we should. Argue and debate. Save the flame throwers for other battle fields, you might even pm your buddies who are getting out of hand and ask them to dial it back a bit all in the interest of civil debate.

I hearby pledge not to call Deej a scorpion diddlin', tarantula herder in pink shorts anymore...
Old 05-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
Well noonereal,

Remember: GUNS DON NOT KILL PEOPLE !! PEOPLE THAT WEAR HOODIES AND SHOOT GUNS DO !!

And believe me when I say, anyone wearing a hoody pulled up over his head, is a suspicious character in my book. Nothing racial there at all, unless I am anti hoody
Really? So what is so suspicious about me running a snowblower up and down my driveway in the winter. You damn well better believe I pull the hoodie over my head. They are originally designed to keep your ears warm.