Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Area Man

I'm not a Papist, not even a very good Christian, (As you have noted, I'm sure.). But, I do believe in credit where credit is due and to the Pope I give credit for speaking the truth. As for the acolytes of unbridled greed and "trickle down" economics, I give credit for the struggling world economy and the "race to the bottom". I thank them for------nothing.

Dave
Old 11-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
... (As you have noted, I'm sure.). ...
Say it ain't so!!

Pete
Old 11-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Jigsawed

The pope is a Jesuit and the right has been killing in the past decades such active catholic priests and nuns in Central and South America.

That Francis should come to power is a miracle. I guess it was frustration from the numerous scandals.

Check the life of this Priest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Romero

Last edited by Dondilion; 11-27-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
So one of the world's leading economists chimes in on "trickle-down" economics.: rolleyes:

Actually, this should surprise no one. The Catholic church for years has been pretty far to the left with its views on economics / wealth (re) distribution.
By all means keep bash away!

We only won the Catholic vote by 50-48 last time and when you take out the Hispanics we lost the white Catholic vote by 59-40.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholi..._United_States

So we could stand to have you alienate some of them our way.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
To cut to the chase, if an omniscient, omnipotent God, knowing everything that was going to happen, created the world the way it is on purpose, I cannot forgive Him.
Near as I recall He gave us free will and a good rule to live by, as Rabbi Hillel put it

"That which is distasteful to you do not do unto others, that is the law the rest is mere commentary."
Old 11-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
The pope is a Jesuit and the right has been killing in the past decades such active catholic priests and nuns in Central and South America.

That Francis should come to power is a miracle. I guess it was frustration from the numerous scandals.

Check the life of this Priest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Romero
Ahhh, yes-those Jesuits are the smartest kids on the block and a constant source of irritation to those who would build 'butter' cathedrals.
My Irish Catholic better half was amazed and gratified that a Jesuit was chosen for the top job.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
By all means keep bash away!

We only won the Catholic vote by 50-48 last time and when you take out the Hispanics we lost the white Catholic vote by 59-40.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholi..._United_States

So we could stand to have you alienate some of them our way.
I'm not referring to how Catholics at large voted. I'm referring to the leadership of the Church: from the Vatican right through to the many of the ordained. Just hang out on any given Catholic church for a string of Sundays and listen to when comes from the pulpit. About the only divergence you'll find from standard left-wing dogma is on the subjects of abortion and birth control. Most everything else is aligned with the article in the OP.

This isn't a criticism, by the way. It just "is what it is."
Old 11-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Near as I recall He gave us free will and a good rule to live by, as Rabbi Hillel put it

"That which is distasteful to you do not do unto others, that is the law the rest is mere commentary."
1. We don't follow that a lot, and he knew we wouldn't from the get-go.

2. Lots of bad things happen that cannot be reasonably attributed to rule violations.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:33 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
1. We don't follow that a lot, and he knew we wouldn't from the get-go.

2. Lots of bad things happen that cannot be reasonably attributed to rule violations.
DQ my own father likely knew that I would disappoint him from time to time as I am sure that I did, but he never stopped loving me. Did not mean that what he told me to do was wrong.

On your second point sure; at the age of ten I got into an argument with a speeding truck. The truck won and I spent a month in traction, then another month in a full body cast, as the bumper sticker says excrement occurs.

We love our children but there comes a time when they leave the nest and your heart aches at what life does to them sometines but there is nowt you can do.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
DQ my own father likely knew that I would disappoint him from time to time as I am sure that I did, but he never stopped loving me. Did not mean that what he told me to do was wrong.

On your second point sure; at the age of ten I got into an argument with a speeding truck. The truck won and I spent a month in traction, then another month in a full body cast, as the bumper sticker says excrement occurs.

We love our children but there comes a time when they leave the nest and your heart aches at what life does to them sometines but there is nowt you can do.
Well, there's not much point in chopping logic here. Had the whole thing down to sawdust ages ago.

I still find it to be a wonderful life. Let's celebrate.