Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
You have had a habit of doing exactly as Chick asserted for years now. Do you really think you're clever enough to obfuscate that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Whell, you’re as transparent as Donny, and squeal like a pig when your motivations are accurately revealed, just like Donny. You’re as sad as Donny, and because you can vote (unless you’re a felon), dangerous to our precious democracy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Ayup...
The three of you need to get a room. Try not to stain the sheets.

Love the way to guys deflect and try to change the topic on a post like this. You don't want to discuss this woman's idiotic behavior or her vile language.
You'd rather talk about me and play whataboutism, as clearly illustrated by Chicks post above.

While I'm flattered that you always seem to want to change the subject to little ol' me, the net result is that this woman, in your eyes, gets a pass. Not one of you saw fit to decry her behavior, so I'll put you in the column of supporting / agreeing with folks like this.

Lovely...
Old 04-20-2018, 09:44 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Love the way to guys deflect and try to change the topic on a post like this. You don't want to discuss this woman's idiotic behavior or her vile language. You'd rather talk about me and play whataboutism, as clearly illustrated by Chicks post above...
Aww, poor little Whellie has a persecution complex. How cute. Par for the course for a Trump apologist (from Alex Jones to Hannity to O'Reiley to our very own Liddle Whellie).
Old 04-20-2018, 09:47 AM

Lol, you never fail to provide a good laugh, Whell! You’re precious.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:54 AM

Interesting take from the NY Times, by the way, for the few of you left here willing to think expansively about something like this (so Chickie, Finn and Bob and skip this post):

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/o...mentsContainer

I agree with some of what she's saying here, but she's looking at this from a purely First Amendment perspective, which I think misses the point. For example:

There is, however, no “grotesque” exception to the First Amendment. “Randa Jarrar’s speech is constitutionally protected, and Fresno State cannot, consistent with the First Amendment, discipline her for it,” Ari Cohn of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education told me. “On top of that, the public announcement of an investigation, with clear statements from the university president indicating that he would like to take some kind of serious action against Jarrar, itself can violate the First Amendment.”

I think Mr Cohn incorrect in this case. An organization can take action against employees for acting in a way that brings harm or bad publicity to the organization. If Jarrar simply took to Facebook and made a post, and didn't in that post directly refer to her job and her employer, she might be in far less hot water. The University in this case could make the case that her conduct and speech caused harm to the University if donations start to drop.

I actually like the point she makes at the end of the piece (though I think its a point that needs to be made out side of Ms Jarrar's conduct:

In comparing left-wing and right-wing transgressions against free speech, there’s a danger of getting into an escalating cycle of whataboutism, in which the silencing of one side becomes an excuse for silencing the other. This is a mistake. Ultimately, if the power of the First Amendment is eroded on college campuses, it’s the people with the least power who have the most to lose.

The uproar around Jarrar shows how easily arguments for speech restrictions can be turned against progressives. Writing to The Fresno Bee, an infuriated alumnus of Fresno State called for her firing: “Hiding behind freedom of speech doesn’t work anymore. Just as professors are fired for making racist or insensitive comments, she should meet the same fate.” To explain why she shouldn’t, people on the left need to rediscover the right to offend.

She's saying that exercising free speech - even if such speech is offensive - is that right that should be protected. I agree.

However, Jarrar was not simply exercising free speech. She also spat venom and made a political statement using the University's podium and cloaked as a professor / employee of the Univerity. I think there's a difference. As the saying goes, "your right's end where my nose begins". The Univeristy's nose has been tweaked pretty hard here, and they have a right not be used in that way.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Aww, poor little Whellie has a persecution complex. How cute. Par for the course for a Trump apologist (from Alex Jones to Hannity to O'Reiley to our very own Liddle Whellie).
Quote:
Lol, you never fail to provide a good laugh, Whell! You’re precious.
Still wanna make this thread about me, huh? As I said, I'm flattered. However, your "whataboutery" and deflection really say far more about you then me.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Interesting take from the NY Times, by the way, for the few of you left here willing to think expansively about something like this (so Chickie, Finn and Bob and skip this post)...
The wingnut fringe to which you belong whine constantly about people being offended by those of their ilk (Ann Coulter, Roger Stone, Alex Jones, Milo, Richard Spencer, Diamond and Silk, Laura Ingraham, Ted Nugent, Dana Loesch ...) spouting tasteless inanities. Now you chose to be offended by this unknown gal thousands of miles away? Are you equally outraged by Roger Stone's comments about Mrs. Bush or do you remain blissfully unaware of them because you limit yourself to wingnut news sources?

Last edited by finnbow; 04-20-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:11 AM
Ready

'You' is all your threads can be about, Whell. Your basic stance makes intelligent discussion of issues impossible. Like, your response to anything we say pretty much boils down to 'Boy are you stupid to think that!'

Except when you can't find even an implausible hook for a 'boy how stupid' comment. Then you say nothing.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:23 AM

The Fresno Bee is a fine newspaper, with real journalism. Here’s another of their fine articles for ya, Whell. Maybe you’ll comment on it, which is FAR more relevant than the one you posted. Lots more about their representative there, too, should you really care to actually be open minded.

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/spt-...202208709.html
Old 04-20-2018, 10:33 AM
Admin

Quote:
The three of you need to get a room. Try not to stain the sheets.

Love the way to guys deflect and try to change the topic on a post like this. You don't want to discuss this woman's idiotic behavior or her vile language.
You'd rather talk about me and play whataboutism, as clearly illustrated by Chicks post above.

While I'm flattered that you always seem to want to change the subject to little ol' me, the net result is that this woman, in your eyes, gets a pass. Not one of you saw fit to decry her behavior, so I'll put you in the column of supporting / agreeing with folks like this.

Lovely...
Once again you prove that you aren't worth the keystrokes, Mike. You're like the snot nosed kid who's always pitching a fit and then pissing yourself when you don't get all the attention that you think is due you. It's really a marvel that you've kept up this pissant adolescent schtick for all these years on this forum.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
The Fresno Bee is a fine newspaper, with real journalism. Here’s another of their fine articles for ya, Whell. Maybe you’ll comment on it, which is FAR more relevant than the one you posted. Lots more about their representative there, too, should you really care to actually be open minded.

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/spt-...202208709.html
Great article and thanks, but doubt if our 'constipated' whell will read it.
Continuing lack of a snow pack (except for the last year or two) is a huge problem that we are not addressing. Even the recent Miracle March did not do much for the snow pack in the Sierra's due to elevated temperatures.